• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

flsh

Banned
I deleted ClientRegistry.blob, steam updated again and I still can't see my games library :(

If I copy the games from a different PC, will I be able to play them, or at least see them? I just want to play something after spending so much time on building my new PC (I kept getting CPU fan errors until I realized it was probably the low RPM.. that took way too long).

aasoncott

I can't believe I just bought 40 Sega games. Now Valve has to come through and release Big Picture mode so I can properly play these from my couch.

gotee12 said:
Completely off topic, Pushing Daisies was an awesome show. A shame it was cancelled...

x100 ;_;

Rekubot

Has anyone tried the new Lego Star Wars? I was seriously addicted to Lego Harry Potter for a couple of weeks after it came out last year, and if this one can hook me just as well I'll lay down my £20 right now. Just wanted to hear some impressions first.

Clever Pun said:
I just downloaded NWN2 and I'm having terrible performance issues. My machines not a monster (Q6600 stock, with a 4830 on win 7 64 bit.) but I shouldn't have any problem with this game. I tried setting the affinity to a single processor but still no luck, even with everything turned down.

Anyone else have any luck or suggestions for what else I can try?

It just runs bad. Not sure if there is a community patch or anything, you could search around.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
flsh said:
I deleted ClientRegistry.blob, steam updated again and I still can't see my games library :(

If I copy the games from a different PC, will I be able to play them, or at least see them? I just want to play something after spending so much time on building my new PC (I kept getting CPU fan errors until I realized it was probably the low RPM.. that took way too long).
You should be able to see all of them, the fact you can't means that just copying them across will probably not help. If you go into your account 'xxxxxxx account' on the top right of steam, does it list your purchases etc.

TheExodu5

Banned
Rekubot said:
Has anyone tried the new Lego Star Wars? I was seriously addicted to Lego Harry Potter for a couple of weeks after it came out last year, and if this one can hook me just as well I'll lay down my £20 right now. Just wanted to hear some impressions first.

The game runs on a single core and is inefficient at that.

flsh

Banned
poppabk said:
You should be able to see all of them, the fact you can't means that just copying them across will probably not help. If you go into your account 'xxxxxxx account' on the top right of steam, does it list your purchases etc.
No, it doesn't.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rekubot said:
I'd like to see some impressions too as the videos and all look really good for a Lego game.

LocoMrPollock said:
It just runs bad. Not sure if there is a community patch or anything, you could search around.

It is a real hog, and always has been. Having said that, I have an 8800GT which I think is probably pretty close to a 4830 in performance terms, and an E6750, which isn't as good as a Q6600 and I can run it at 40+ fps at 1680x1050 with most stuff turned on, so there does seem to be another issue here. Clutching at straws- drivers up to date?

Blizzard

Banned
flsh said:
No, it doesn't.
Can you go to your profile from a web browser and log into the steam store/your community profile that way? It should show the games that you own. If it doesn't, then you should probably make a Steam support account and submit a help request, I'd say.

Sportbilly said:
It is a real hog, and always has been. Having said that, I have an 8800GT which I think is probably pretty close to a 4830 in performance terms, and an E6750, which isn't as good as a Q6600 and I can run it at 40+ fps at 1680x1050 with most stuff turned on, so there does seem to be another issue here. Clutching at straws- drivers up to date?

Yeah, drivers are up to date. I'm going to try a reinstall of directX and C++ to see if that helps at all.

Moobabe

Clever Pun said:
Yeah, drivers are up to date. I'm going to try a reinstall of directX and C++ to see if that helps at all.

I remember how awfully it ran for me before I patched it to hell and back - aren't there unofficial patches as well?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Speaking of lego games out of Batman, Star Wars: Complete, Star Wars III, the two indiana jones, and Harry Potter which one would be the best for someone who has never played any of them. I love all the movie franchises equally so that doesn't really matter.

Moobabe said:
I remember how awfully it ran for me before I patched it to hell and back - aren't there unofficial patches as well?

There's this. I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Steam version, possibly not given the last update date. Might be worth a whirl before (or after) messing around with DirectX though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
zombieshavebrains said:
Speaking of lego games out of Batman, Star Wars: Complete, Star Wars III, the two indiana jones, and Harry Potter which one would be the best for someone who has never played any of them. I love all the movie franchises equally so that doesn't really matter.
Harry Potter was the best one I've played. Star Wars III looks even better than that with the new features and engine improvements. I just want to hear some impressions on the PC version as it's only 30.

zombieshavebrains said:

I enjoyed the Star Wars games more than the Batman one, but it's pretty close as they're both very good indeed. Those are the only ones I've played, but of the others, the Indy ones are supposed to be the worst of the Lego games (although still good), and I believe the Harry Potter one has some technical issues.

flsh

Banned
An update -
I can't see anything in my online profile. I'm currently moving my data from one PC to the other but it takes a lot of time. I can see some games now in gold fonts and when I right click them it tells me I can purchase them.
This doesn't look too good :(

Blizzard

Banned
flsh said:
An update -
I can't see anything in my online profile. I'm currently moving my data from one PC to the other but it takes a lot of time. I can see some games now in gold fonts and when I right click them it tells me I can purchase them.
This doesn't look too good :(
Go here: https://support.steampowered.com/

Make a support account, and submit a question. Don't make new questions if you don't hear back immediately, just give them 3-5 days and you should hopefully hear something. :/ I have never heard of someone actually losing games but still being able to login to their online account. Just don't panic and they should get it fixed, hopefully.

Sanic

Noob Steam question, but is there a way I can stop new games from running Steambot to install the Visual C++ runtimes, etc.?

Javaman

Rekubot said:

Yes, I LOVE it. It follows mostly the same formula as the others with some revamped features. They've got a lot more detail in the game now that not everything (especially the backgrounds) need to be made out of legos. The ground battles is a fun distraction. It's sorta like a tower defense minigame where troops spawn out of your and the enemies' bases. You can build towers, vehicle and troop spawners and some other stuff like shield generators. Once you destroy all of the enemy buildings in an area you can build there and move the front up. You have to be careful not too spend too much money though since it uses your collected studs for the mission. It's pretty groovy jump stabbing into a full squad of droids to wipe them out. If you use a clone with a radio you can give commands to other troops to attack different structures.

Here's a preview of the ground battle stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlJZl1Lq8M

Just don't do what I did and go through Grevious's missions first. You're better off doing the Dooko path first since it shows the new concepts and stuff in the normal missions.

I highly recommend watching the show first. The cut scenes are cute but don't explain things much.

And a final big whatthefuck at no manual. There's nothing in the install folder or through steam links.

Only 30 smackers too!

Blizzard

Banned
Pandoracell said:
Noob Steam question, but is there a way I can stop new games from running Steambot to install the Visual C++ runtimes, etc.?
I don't think so, and why would you want to? They might require slightly different Visual C++ runtimes from the ones you have installed, so it's probably a good thing. The only conflicts you might run into would be PhysX, which I've heard can be nasty in some cases (i.e. games you wouldn't expect like Mass Effect or Monday Night Combat can apparently mess up other games, like Borderlands, because of PhysX version stuff?).

jtkauff

Between the Genesis pack missing games that were in the news post and it installing as a single item I'm kinda bummed. Killer deal, though I'd rather have the Toejam & Earl games and the ability to just install the 5 or 6 RPGs that I was actually interested in instead of having to find them in the non-alphabetical launcher.

Javaman

zombieshavebrains said:

I've got about all of them on the pc and 360 and would highly recommend going with the star wars complete first. It covers all 6 movies. I hadn't played enough of the IJ games to tell how much overlap there is but definitely stay away from the Harry Potter one for now. Following the pattern set by all the other games means they will release a complete version with all the movies eventually.

legend166

I'm tossing up between The Mega Drive Collection and NWN2.

I might go with the Mega Drive Collection. I've wanted to play Shining Force 2 for a long time. And NWN2 would just be another in a long line of attempts I've made to get into D&D styled RPGs only to fail miserably.

Mega-Drive (cool kids call it Genesis) collection has been bought :)

Savings to me : 109.61
I love you Steam, never change. A little sad no Sonic games though :(

But 40 classic games, hot damn

Man this launcher is terrible. I only wanted to install a few of the games... it takes forever to find a specific Genesis game using this.

God, I hate having to surf through some of these garbage games to get to Gunstar Heroes, Ecco and Streets of Rage.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
I'm tossing up between The Mega Drive Collection and NWN2.

I might go with the Mega Drive Collection. I've wanted to play Shining Force 2 for a long time. And NWN2 would just be another in a long line of attempts I've made to get into D&D styled RPGs only to fail miserably.
Did you see it on the Australian Steam store? I just went there and couldn't see it.

Normally I wouldn't be a sucker for such bare-bones ports but 40 games for $10? Sold. If only for Comfy Couch.

Peerbreed

Neo Member
I'm disappointing in the Sega launcher. Its not in a list form, alphabetical order or anything resembling convenient! That being said I still prefer having the launcher instead of having 40 games added to my game list. It would have been annoying to categorize.

I'm also unable to use Steam's screenshot feature with these games. I'm still pleased with my purchase, but these annoyances do take away from my gaming pleasure. I'd really like it is people knew I was playing Landstalker...

Arx Fatalis, once you get it to run, is actually pretty fun. The whole gesture based magic system is a little weird (interesting but weird) but it's a fairly enjoyable dungeon crawler. Then again I'm a sucker for crawling through unknown corridors, fighting off whatever horrors you encounter and dealing with resource ablation. Visually it's definietly showing its age but I still think Arx looks pretty good considering it's a decade old.

Peerbreed said:
I'm disappointing in the Sega launcher. Its not in a list form, alphabetical order or anything resembling convenient! That being said I still prefer having the launcher instead of having 40 games added to my game list. It would have been annoying to categorize.
Was this collection always around, or was this some kind of promo? It looks like Sega spent the better part of 3 minutes coding the launcher.

I hope they patch it to at least be in alphabetical order, but I'd also like a list, or better yet, the ability to have the 40 games added to my Steam list so I can pick which games I want to install or not. And they could keep the launcher for people who don't want to sort through their Steam list.

Sanic

Blizzard said:
I don't think so, and why would you want to? They might require slightly different Visual C++ runtimes from the ones you have installed, so it's probably a good thing. The only conflicts you might run into would be PhysX, which I've heard can be nasty in some cases (i.e. games you wouldn't expect like Mass Effect or Monday Night Combat can apparently mess up other games, like Borderlands, because of PhysX version stuff?).

I didn't want to because I already have installed everything it tries to install, and while the Visual C++ 2005/8/10 runtimes should all be the same, I didn't think about physx, so thanks for pointing it out.

Forkball

Lead and Gold is pretty interesting. The maps can be a bit confusing, but there are a lot of paths and some cool ideas (like hiding in corn stalks) and the modes are varied and unique. However, I cannot hit shit in this game. I can be two feet away from the guy, have ironsights on, shoot right at his chest, and still miss. Never have I shot around someone so much.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Thanks for the impressions on the lego games. I don't remember too many lego sales going on so i'll have to add the Star Wars ones to my wishlist for when they do go on sale again.

Relax.MX

The Chronicles of Riddick™ Assault on Dark Athena is 75%(5dlls) but need you help about TAGES ¿is that bad?

PD: And Alpha Protocol for $4.76 i want but....for me steam :(

Seagoon

I just bought the Sega Classics collection but I can only see 10 games - has anyone else found this?

EDIT: Dammit - looked like I purchased completely the wrong thing - I've logged a ticket with Steam...

Haeleos

I just played a couple games of Lead & Gold. Is friendly fire on by default or is it forced on? Every game I played, teammates were just shooting each other and the explosives that we had to carry.

Relax.MX said:
The Chronicles of Riddick™ Assault on Dark Athena is 75%(5dlls) but need you help about TAGES ¿is that bad?

PD: And Alpha Protocol for $4.76 i want but....for me steam :(

Where?

EDIT: Oh D2D. They have AVP on sale for only $4 as well and it activates on Steam.

Joe Molotov

zombieshavebrains said:
Thanks for the impressions on the lego games. I don't remember too many lego sales going on so i'll have to add the Star Wars ones to my wishlist for when they do go on sale again.

They were all on sale for 50% off during Christmas, and I think Batman was 75% off. I picked up Star Wars, Indiana Jones 1 & 2, and Batman then.

Peerbreed

Neo Member
balladofwindfishes said:
Was this collection always around, or was this some kind of promo? It looks like Sega spent the better part of 3 minutes coding the launcher.

I hope they patch it to at least be in alphabetical order, but I'd also like a list, or better yet, the ability to have the 40 games added to my Steam list so I can pick which games I want to install or not. And they could keep the launcher for people who don't want to sort through their Steam list.

The store page says that it was released today. The launcher has been around though for all the packs. Looks like the disapproval is common. My big question is what happened to the the Sega Genesis Classic Collection Gold Edition That was supposed to be released on March 15th. That collection also included Sonic games.

Speaking of including the Sonic games, the Sonic games and Toe Jam and Earl (hasn't been on Steam in sometime) were listed under this pack in the News section of Steam's page. The News page has been corrected but not before leaving a few customers pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom