• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nabs said:
It's Steamworks, so you might find a better deal on Amazon if you look. (It's $40 right now)
Cool, thanks.

Stallion Free said:
To make up for opinions like this, I'm giving away 2 copies of Lead & Gold, first two PMs with e-mail get it (plus it might help the community).
And thus, my move will make two people happy instead of one ;) (Already bought Lead & Gold this week btw).

Shambles

Sacred 2 us a great game and I consider it far more developed than diablo. My retail copy works perfectly on W7, haven't tried a steam version. The amount of content in the game is staggering. My issues with the game is the securom that limits you to two active installations at any time and how poorly they designed the multiplayer. Your characters are split into different pools so that your single, LAN, open online and closed online characters can't be used in modes other than their own. I think the LAN and open online might draw from the same character pool but I remember constantly having to change what character I could use based on what game mode I was playing. Also if you live in NA you still connect to some shitty ass 800ms ping servers in germany. This lag manifests itself when you interact with NPCs, objects etc. but at least there aren't any lag spikes or anything as rendering and pathing all seems to be determined client side.

If you're looking for a more simple 'can play easily with friends' aRPG I'd suggest Titan Quest if it goes on sale again.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
drizzle said:
I'm glad he got it. I already have Super Meat Boy on PC but I won a twitter code for Super Meat Boy on 360. I'm probably never going to play it on the 360, but hey, I have it, and it was free.

Philosophy like this is worse than Bush-era tax breaks.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
morningbus said:
First of all, I didn't know it was Super Meat Boy. It was a random code given on twitter, with no indication of what it was.

Second of all, now I can play "The Internets", the 360 exclusive stage.

Not only that, I bought super meat boy on pre-order (with a 10% discount) and the game went up with a 50% discount, if i'm not mistaken, a couple weeks later (on the haloween sale on Steam).

So yeah, I'm pretty happy I won a game I already have on a different platform, which has exclusive content, specially since I paid more than most people did.

Edit: And when I said I was happy for him, I wasn't happy because he got a code for something that somebody else would enjoy more. I'm happy because he won something on those Random twitter codes. Maybe he will, now, buy a new game and enjoy it.

I also won a Spaceship Out of Control code on Twitter, but I already had purchased that game. Since the code was given to me only (it wasn't one of those "public" giveaways), I gave it on the "Free to a good home" thread on GAF.

morningbus said:
It isn't like you're thinking "let's deny someone else this thing". I thought, since you can gift games you have twice on steam to friends, it might let you gift this also. So why not try it? They give away 50 keys or so, let's see if I can get a free one for a friend. And if I first read up on it, the opportunity is gone and my friend has to pay 12$ instead of getting it for free.

Didn't work, and thanks to a contest in which free stuff was given away I am seriously considering buying the game to not have the DLC go to waste. So if anything, it proves contests can be good for sales.

morningbus

drizzle said:
First of all, I didn't know it was Super Meat Boy. It was a random code given on twitter, with no indication of what it was.

That's already a significantly different scenario than the Call of Duty DLC code. I'm not going to tell you how to do things, but I know I would have given the code away once I found I had already owned the gift. But that's your prerogative.

Second of all, now I can play "The Internets", the 360 exclusive stage.

So now you are going to play it? Again, totally different scenario. Anyway, it's been a little while since I played SMB, but I remember unlocking Teh Internets on the PC version (maybe it was a glitch, honestly don't remember), and I believe we may get those extras levels after all. Failing that, the level editor is coming soon and the best levels will most certainly be reproduced.

Not only that, I bought super meat boy on pre-order (with a 10% discount) and the game went up with a 50% discount, if i'm not mistaken, a couple weeks later (on the haloween sale on Steam).

So yeah, I'm pretty happy I won a game I already have on a different platform, which has exclusive content, specially since I paid more than most people did.

I bought it at the pre-order price too and don't feel slighted in the least. However, having accepted the XBLA code, I think you've sadly lost your "complain-about-the-price" card.

Edit: And when I said I was happy for him, I wasn't happy because he got a code for something that somebody else would enjoy more. I'm happy because he won something on those Random twitter codes. Maybe he will, now, buy a new game and enjoy it.

Ah, that's a bit fairer then, if you're just congratulating his win. However, I hope you can at least understand the perspective that this is like a millionaire winning the lottery and that some people won't be quick with their kudos.

Blizzard

Banned
morningbus said:
I bought it at the pre-order price too and don't feel slighted in the least. However, having accepted the XBLA code, I think you've sadly lost your "complain-about-the-price" card.
Sounds like he's happy to me that he won something, not complaining about the price...

morningbus said:
Ah, that's a bit fairer then, if you're just congratulating his win. However, I hope you can at least understand the perspective that this is like a cerealnaire winning the lottery and that some people won't be quick with their kudos.
Fixed for proper thread terminology. And man, now I want a box with two bags in it. I'd pay extra on Steam for that!

morningbus

ClosingADoor said:
It isn't like you're thinking "let's deny someone else this thing". I thought, since you can gift games you have twice on steam to friends, it might let you gift this also. So why not try it? They give away 50 keys or so, let's see if I can get a free one for a friend. And if I first read up on it, the opportunity is gone and my friend has to pay 12$ instead of getting it for free.

Didn't work, and thanks to a contest in which free stuff was given away I am seriously considering buying the game to not have the DLC go to waste. So if anything, it proves contests can be good for sales.

I understand that it was a simple mistake and hope you enjoy the game if you do decide to buy it. It's unfortunate that someone may have to pay the $13/15, or so, but it's an honest mistake.

For future reference: very, very few things on Steam give you a giftable second copy if you already own something. If it isn't directly related to Valve, expect the worst.

Baha

Anybody serious about getting Black Ops might want to consider getting it from Direct2Drive before Monday since they're offering an additional 20% off so it'll cost you $35.99 instead of $44.99 and you can activate it on steam. The additional 20% off is when you use the MARCHMADNESS coupon code.

ClosingADoor said:
The Black Ops First Strike pack.
xv9ng.gif

graywolf323

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7683/

all the Sega Classics for $10 :O

except Sonic and the other $5 ones

Dreamcast Collection is $15 but I don't think that's as good of a deal - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7522/

Steam said:
You now own SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics, Comix Zone, Crack Down, Ecco the Dolphin, Gain Ground, Golden Axe, Shinobi 3, Space Harrier II, Vectorman, Altered Beast, Shadow Dancer, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Bonanza Bros, Columns, Ecco Jr., Eternal Champions, Fatal Labyrinth, Galaxy Force II, Kid Chameleon, Ristar, Super Thunder Blade, Alien Storm, Bio-Hazard Battle, Columns III, Decap Attack, Ecco The Tides of Time, ESWAT, Flicky, Golden Axe II, Sword of Vermillion, Virtua Fighter 2, Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Shining Force, Shining Force 2, Shining in the Darkness, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Wonder Boy III - Monster Lair

>_<

Sanic

I would hate myself for buying that Sega pack, since I literally own most of those games three times over, but....so....tempting......

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pandoracell said:
I would hate myself for buying that Sega pack, since I literally own most of those games three times over, but....so....tempting......

$10 for 40 games is pretty hard to decline.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dilli666 said:
I except that every game of the Sega collection will show up seperatly in your libary?
I was somewhat hoping so, but it is all in a single launcher. "Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Classics"

Redownloading Lead and Gold. I had a pretty good time with it for a few days last fall, but it was pretty empty. I'm glad they've been doing some free weekends and dlc. That sort of stuff did wonders for Killing Floor.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
graywolf323 said:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7683/

all the Sega Classics for $10 :O

except Sonic and the other $5 ones

Dreamcast Collection is $15 but I don't think that's as good of a deal - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7522/

>_<
Oh god, 40 Mega Drive games for £6? Bought so damn quick it isn't even funny. The Dreamcast collection is a lock for a 75% deal come the summer sale so I will wait for that.

Dilli666 said:
I except that every game of the Sega collection will show up seperatly in your libary?
Thankfully not. I already have 200 games to scroll through, so I am happy that it is indeed, a single icon on my Steam account.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Emulation Seems to be pretty good.

I am a bit disappointed there doesn't seem to be any Phantasy Star Titles. Also, I'll likely grab Sonic 1-3 once I can get them all for $5 or less.

Would really love it if Sega added Online Multiplayer to their emulator.

deduce

epmode said:
Aright!!! Take me to FRIED CHICKEN RESTAURANT

Product placement normally makes me want to murder small animals but I don't think I could play Crazy Taxi without it. See also: Pikmen 2
I can live without the product placements; booting up the game and not hearing Offspring ruins the game.

plc268

Lol...I had one of those moments of "What the fuck am I doing?"

I was going to buy the Sega Classics collection even though I have the Ultimate Genesis Collection on the PS3, and nothing in that pack really interested me. So I was basically about to buy it just to pad my games list by 40.

So, I cancelled the transaction at the last second.

BY2K

Membero Americo
epmode said:
Aright!!! Take me to FRIED CHICKEN RESTAURANT

Product placement normally makes me want to murder small animals but I don't think I could play Crazy Taxi without it. See also: Pikmen 2

I think one game that does Product Placement right is Homefront. For some reason, I don't mind seeing White Castle or Full Throttles in the game.

plc268 said:
Lol...I had one of those moments of "What the fuck am I doing?"

I was going to buy the Sega Classics collection even though I have the Ultimate Genesis Collection on the PS3, and nothing in that pack really interested me. So I was basically about to buy it just to pad my games list by 40.

So, I cancelled the transaction at the last second.

I think there's a couple that aren't on the Ultimate Genesis Collection. I know Eternal Champions isn't and I was trying to remember if Landstalker is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Pulled out my disc, these aren't on the PS3/360 collection:

Eternal Champions
Landstalker
Bio-Hazard Battle
Crack Down
Ecco Jr
Galaxy Force II
Gunstar Heroes
Light Crusader
Virtua Fighter 2
Wonder Boy III

Sanic

Drkirby said:
I was somewhat hoping so, but it is all in a single launcher. "Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Classics"

No sale.

Lead & Gold is pretty good. Nothing really special about it, but I could see myself putting several hours into, which is more than worth my $2.50. I just hope it'll stay somewhat populated after the weekend, and P2P is kind of a turnoff, especially since i'm having trouble connecting to matches, and the host quiting every game i've played.

plc268

LocoMrPollock said:
I think there's a couple that aren't on the Ultimate Genesis Collection. I know Eternal Champions isn't and I was trying to remember if Landstalker is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Pulled out my disc, these aren't on the PS3/360 collection:

Eternal Champions
Landstalker
Bio-Hazard Battle
Crack Down
Ecco Jr
Galaxy Force II
Gunstar Heroes
Light Crusader
Virtua Fighter 2
Wonder Boy III

Yea, out of that list, the only one I'd be interested in is Landstalker, and I already own Gunstar Heroes on PSN as well.

Pandoracell said:
No sale.

Lead & Gold is pretty good. Nothing really special about it, but I could see myself putting several hours into, which is more than worth my $2.50. I just hope it'll stay somewhat populated after the weekend, and P2P is kind of a turnoff, especially since i'm having trouble connecting to matches, and the host quiting every game i've played.
There are dedicated servers. Not sure how many there are this weekend as I haven't played in a while, but they should be colored blue in the server browser I think.

Sanic

CrookedRain said:
There are dedicated servers. Not sure how many there are this weekend as I haven't played in a while, but they should be colored blue in the server browser I think.

Oh thanks, didn't know. I don't remember seeing any blue matches when browsing for games, but i'll look again.

stuminus3

JaseC said:
Wonder Boy 3 is on Steam?
Guys, just a word of warning, this is not the Wonder Boy 3 you think it is. You're thinking of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, which is a Metroidvania kind of game (and was on the Master System, not Genesis). The one on steam is Monster Lair, which is a port of a shitty arcade game that's more of a linear side-scroller like the original Wonder Boy game.

Unless you really are excited about Monster Lair, in which case... carry on.

flsh

Banned
I have a question. I built a new PC today and installed Steam on it, but I can't see any of my games. I'm not logged in on any other PC and non of my games are in the library tab. I really want to test this rig with something and I don't have any physical copies of PC games so this is quite urgent :p

camerooni

Neo Member
flsh said:
I have a question. I built a new PC today and installed Steam on it, but I can't see any of my games. I'm not logged in on any other PC and non of my games are in the library tab. I really want to test this rig with something and I don't have any physical copies of PC games so this is quite urgent :p
Make sure your games list drop down list thingie in the top left says 'all games' and not 'installed'..

flsh

Banned
camerooni said:
Make sure your games list drop down list thingie in the top left says 'all games' and not 'installed'..
I did that. It says 1 in all games and 0 in installs and the game I can download is a complementary Lead and Gold which I didn't buy, obviously.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
And they are in the steamapps folder?

Try deleting ClientRegistry.blob, and they might repopulate.

flsh

Banned
The games aren't on this PC, it's completely new. But I'll try what you just suggested and maybe they will show as linked to my account. It's over a 100 games so fuck me if I lose them all.

gotee12

flsh said:

Completely off topic, Pushing Daisies was an awesome show. A shame it was cancelled...

I just downloaded NWN2 and I'm having terrible performance issues. My machines not a monster (Q6600 stock, with a 4830 on win 7 64 bit.) but I shouldn't have any problem with this game. I tried setting the affinity to a single processor but still no luck, even with everything turned down.

Anyone else have any luck or suggestions for what else I can try?

camerooni

Neo Member
Drkirby said:

Oh that's a shame.. I was hoping that when I was playing Shining Force II, my friends would see that I was playing it and they might finally get of their butts and try out the most perfect game in the world for themselves ;)

Baha

Clever Pun said:
I just downloaded NWN2 and I'm having terrible performance issues. My machines not a monster (Q6600 stock, with a 4830 on win 7 64 bit.) but I shouldn't have any problem with this game. I tried setting the affinity to a single processor but still no luck, even with everything turned down.

Anyone else have any luck or suggestions for what else I can try?

Go to NWN2 in your library and click on the forums link on the right side under links. Usually any problems you experience running a game has been documented and possibly fixed in the game forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom