• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime demo was pretty meh.. enter one room, kill all badies, advance, very arcade-like but the fun wasnt really there.

Also it looks like shit.

will buy when it hits below 5 bucks

edit: just noticed the dead guys in the second screen, lol

pilonv1

Fredescu said:
Half your luck.

Ow5kw.png

Sadly we're getting Australia taxed on DLC now too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72730/

Up from $9.95 when it launched.

Mr Sandman said:
There's 1100 people playing right now. A week ago it was pretty dead. Free weekend and all that.
I wouldn't discount it at $2.50 for a week's fun. Even if the community trails off by next Friday.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
What a wonderful experience... Most servers with decent ping(under 100) are all full. While I can only get into multiple 200+ ping servers, where the game moves in a frame per second. >_>

Wthermans

Banned
Lead and Gold has great gameplay, but the server browser has always given me trouble. Did Fatshark ever fix that?

The community was also completely dead. Even at $2.50, I can't recommend the purchase to anyone that wants to play for more than a free weekend.

It's a great game, but has some lingering issues and never had any proper marketing on PC.

Salsa

Wthermans said:
Lead and Gold has great gameplay, but the server browser has always given me trouble. Did Fatshark ever fix that?

The community was also completely dead. Even at $2.50, I can't recommend the purchase to anyone that wants to play for more than a free weekend.

It's a great game, but has some lingering issues and never had any proper marketing on PC.

Community can grow you know, specially after the free weekend.

Id say $2.50 is more than cheap enough to get the game if you really like it despite the small community. It only helps the developer to keep building on it.

If you really, really like a game but see no people playing it, buy it, support the dev so the game has a bigger chance of being played.

Wthermans

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Community can grow you know, specially after the free weekend.

Id say $2.50 is more than cheap enough to get the game if you really like it despite the small community. It only helps the developer to keep building on it.

If you really, really like a game but see no people playing it, buy it, support the dev so the game has a bigger chance of being played.
I'm speaking strictly from an enjoyment standpoint.

If Fatshark has not updated the server browser and fixed the connection issues in the game (which has been a problem since release), then the community will remain stagnant. If you're buying this game to get a lot of play over a period of months, then I can't recommend this as from a consumer friendly standpoint.

If you don't care to drop $2.50 to support a small dev in hopes of having the game improve, go right ahead (you might want to hit up the eleventy billion other indie games as well), but if you're buying this for it's longevity, then enjoy the free weekend and call it a day.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
the server browser is a bit better than it was at launch but it's still not perfect.

Nairume

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime demo was pretty meh.. enter one room, kill all badies, advance, very arcade-like but the fun wasnt really there.

Also it looks like shit.

edit: just noticed the dead guys in the second screen, lol
Don't even get it at that cheap. It's a horrible game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Monday Night Combat's free weekend got it a good bulk in player base, looks like it roughly tripled. Now at 1150 max from 400ish max.

Wthermans

Banned
Drkirby said:
Monday Night Combat's free weekend got it a good bulk in player base, looks like it roughly tripled. Now at 1150 max from 400ish max.
Monday Night Combat had more than 1-2 servers during peak hours each evening.

Just tried to jump into the free weekend fun and got "Failed to contact key server". This is despite already having the game installed and never even having a key listed on the account. -.-

Dark Messiah seems like it's pretty awesome based off of the demo. I didn't even play the full thing through, I figure if I'm going to buy it I want to spoil as little of the full game as possible. Pleasantly surprised to see it was a Source game, there's some nifty (albeit somewhat clunky now) physics stuff to the combat, puzzles and environment. It doesn't look half bad either.

Aaron said:
It's easily worth $10 if you play with friends.
Careful though, since I seem to recall a few comments earlier in this thread that the game has some serious issues with W7. That's what prevented me from grabbing it.

Actually, Sacred 2 seems to work fine on Windows 7. I had read a lot of comments elsewhere about problems with it working, but someone else came along in this thread and posted how they got it to work. So I bought the game and the suggestions worked. I haven't played long so I may still encounter issues later on, I guess.

legend166

F1 2010 on sale, too. 50% off.

I remember reading that they released a patch which fixed a lot of the initial problems. Anyone know if that's true?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
LastWindow said:
Actually, Sacred 2 seems to work fine on Windows 7. I had read a lot of comments elsewhere about problems with it working, but someone else came along in this thread and posted how they got it to work. So I bought the game and the suggestions worked. I haven't played long so I may still encounter issues later on, I guess.

Yea it runs fine as long as you put it in compatibility mode.

However it's really not a very good game, I wouldn't recommend it even at the sale price.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
Anyone know if that's true?
It still has the problem of not being very fun.

Full disclosure: I prefer games where ramming people off the track is a strategic maneuver, not a black flaggable offense. People who like to approach racing games with a purely "car vs track" mentality probably enjoy it.

Bought Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah tonight, downloaded/installed both. The Steam version of Arx Fatalis is the latest patched version, still had performance issues that I encountered with the demo. However because the game is open source and there are some dedicated, hard working fans, I found a fan-made, unofficial patch that seems to have resolved the performance issues.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21446742#post21446742

AcridMeat

Banned
legend166 said:
F1 2010 on sale, too. 50% off.

I remember reading that they released a patch which fixed a lot of the initial problems. Anyone know if that's true?

They addressed some issues but others are still there. The driving model is incredibly rewarding if you're into serious racing. I have a feeling it will be on sale again, especially since they're going to be talking about 2011 soon.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:

Also it looks like shit.

this is why gabe is rich.

'this game sucks'
/gives five bucks

I believe Lead and Gold has had some technical issues in adding additional servers. As for the server browser, last I checked it was working as I would expect it to work anyway.

But you can all check it yourself I suppose, assuming they get those extra servers going by tonight.

how does F1 2010 play with a xbox360 controller? I like sim oriented games but I find Live for Speed a bit too harsh and imposible to play with a controller, is this my game?

deleted

I got back into my account. Turns out you get one Mail every time you try to log in, but the log-in screen was different after the first time. Not only a single screen to input your code, but a Steam-Guard Identification screen.

Worked with the 6th mail I got. I have no idea what the problem was/is. But as long as it works, I'm fine.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
xyla said:
I got back into my account. Turns out you get one Mail every time you try to log in, but the log-in screen was different after the first time. Not only a single screen to input your code, but a Steam-Guard Identification screen.

Worked with the 6th mail I got. I have no idea what the problem was/is. But as long as it works, I'm fine.

Just think: if it was this hard for you to access your account, imagine some random phisher!

To anyone who's thinking of picking up Lead & Gold, I highly recommend it. I bought it yesterday and played a couple of games today. The only issue I had was that the server browser gave me some trouble. It kept telling my ping was too high. The matchmaking option however works great. It put me in a populated server pretty quickly and I managed to play a couple of lag free games this morning. Community also doesn't seem to be dead but that might be due to the free weekend.

So if I have a DLC pack on Steam, but not the actual game, can I gift that DLC to someone? (someone gave keys away on Twitter, so I already activated it).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ClosingADoor said:
So if I have a DLC pack on Steam, but not the actual game, can I gift that DLC to someone? (someone gave keys away on Twitter, so I already activated it).
If you activated the key it's probably locked to your account. Why did you activate it? The best option would have been to just give the key to your friend.

Stallion Free said:
If you activated the key it's probably locked to your account. Why did you activate it? The best option would have been to just give the key to your friend.
Public Twitter give away I stumbled upon. So if I didn't activate right away it would have gone to someone else. Might get the game later on anyway, so I already have some DLC ready then.

Sanic

I purchased The Witcher and Steam keeps telling me I may have to input a CD key. When will I have to do this? I've never been prompted, and steam nags me about it everytime I start up the game. Not a big deal I guess, but I would prefer it not remind me about the key everytime I start the game.

Stallion Free said:
That was kind of a dick move if you don't plan on ever picking up the game.
Was thinking about buying it some time to play with friends. Might as well cave now with the 25% off deal. Doubt it will get any cheaper ever anyway.

Joe Molotov

ClosingADoor said:
Public Twitter give away I stumbled upon. So if I didn't activate right away it would have gone to someone else.

Yeah, close call, someone who actually had the game might have gotten it. Good thing you were there to keep that from happening!

A gaffer gifted me Lead and Gold out of no where. That's awesome. I definitely appreciate it. I guess I won't mention his name in case he wants to remain anonymous.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I was going to purchase IL2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover untill I saw "3rd-party DRM: TAGES Solidshield", thanks but no thanks.

Nabs

ClosingADoor said:
Was thinking about buying it some time to play with friends. Might as well cave now with the 25% off deal. Doubt it will get any cheaper ever anyway.
It's Steamworks, so you might find a better deal on Amazon if you look. (It's $40 right now)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Joe Molotov said:
Yeah, close call, someone who actually had the game might have gotten it. Good thing you were there to keep that from happening!
I'm glad he got it. I already have Super Meat Boy on PC but I won a twitter code for Super Meat Boy on 360. I'm probably never going to play it on the 360, but hey, I have it, and it was free.

Wthermans

Banned
Pandoracell said:
I purchased The Witcher and Steam keeps telling me I may have to input a CD key. When will I have to do this? I've never been prompted, and steam nags me about it everytime I start up the game. Not a big deal I guess, but I would prefer it not remind me about the key everytime I start the game.
I think it's for the Enhanced Edition content. I've never had to input it while in-game. You can turn off the prompt though by selecting the "Do Not Show Me This Again" button when you start the game and in the overlay (if you have that turned on).

If you ever need the key in the future, you can get it by right clicking on the game in your library and "View game CD key".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom