• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
LocoMrPollock said:
There's like 5000 on it right now, and they do have dedicated servers.

There's still an issue with the server browser pinging like 1000 servers at the same time though. It's probably not an issue on non-free weekends though.
The exact same thing happened last free weekend. I ran a local server 24/7 for the 3 days of the weekend and the server was packed at all times. After the free weekend ended, there wasn't a single server worth a damn (for me at least)

graywolf323

MehsterChief said:
Today, I wanted to start "The Witcher", which i had bought during the holiday sale. Apparently, they have run out of keys because of the current sale and now I can't play... Oh glorious digital future...

Steam fixes that pretty fast

G-Fex

Sacred 2 is awesome. I love these Diablo like rpgs. Except Titan quest for some reason, I think it's cause I haven't found a spec there I really like.

tjohn86

G-Fex said:
Sacred 2 is awesome. I love these Diablo like rpgs. Except Titan quest for some reason, I think it's cause I haven't found a spec there I really like.

Its a shame it apparently doesnt run on Win7. I love me some hack and slash lootin.

iavi

MehsterChief said:
Today, I wanted to start "The Witcher", which i had bought during the holiday sale. Apparently, they have run out of keys because of the current sale and now I can't play... Oh glorious digital future...

I never even had to input a key for the Witcher. Really don't understand why they even gave me one.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fine, I bought L&G. I've been enjoying what I've played, but it just runs like shit. So I'm hoping after the Ram increase and getting rid of Vista. It straightens it out.

graywolf323

Miri said:
I never even had to input a key for the Witcher. Really don't understand why they even gave me one.

it's actually for the Witcher website so you should still be able to download and install it and play it no problem

Rufus

tjohn86 said:
Its a shame it apparently doesnt run on Win7. I love me some hack and slash lootin.
There are ways to make it work. A few pages back someone ran into the exact issue and was linked to a solution.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Let's set up some times. I haven't had a look at the OT but if there is official GAF times then I'm in. I'm going to bed in a few minutes so unfortunately the time isn't right.

On a separate note, is it just me or is the AA in NFSHP kinda crap? Does that game have it off or something? I had to use RadeonPro and just manually tweak some things and still hardly noticed anything. I noticed some improvements when I enabled MLAA but man the default AA is just crap for me. And the first area doesn't do the game service as it looks rather plain.

Nabs

LiquidMetal14 said:
Let's set up some times. I haven't had a look at the OT but if there is official GAF times then I'm in. I'm going to bed in a few minutes so unfortunately the time isn't right.

On a separate note, is it just me or is the AA in NFSHP kinda crap? Does that game have it off or something? I had to use RadeonPro and just manually tweak some things and still hardly noticed anything. I noticed some improvements when I enabled MLAA but man the default AA is just crap for me. And the first area doesn't do the game service as it looks rather plain.

No AA. Try setting up a Darksiders profile in RP, that supposedly worked with one set of drivers back when the game released.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Got in my first, non lagging pos game.

*Takes a cigar and lites it up*

I'm a bad ass mother fucker. It ain't spawn camping if I'm in your spawn and you can't kill me ^_^

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
PedroLumpy said:
Looks like Brotherhood is available on Steam, anyone picked it up? Curious if the multiplayer uses matchmaking and/or servers

I bought it. It uses matchmaking and doesn't seem to have dedicated servers. I'm having fun, but I'm not a fan of the matchmaking.

legend166

This isn't really related to Steam, but whatever:

Thanks to an error on the Ubisoft store I got Anno 1404 for $0.

This could turn out to be the best purchase ever. I can see myself putting hundreds of hours into this game. I might even like it more than Civ.

K701

Banned
legend166 said:
This isn't really related to Steam, but whatever:

Thanks to an error on the Ubisoft store I got Anno 1404 for $0.

This could turn out to be the best purchase ever. I can see myself putting hundreds of hours into this game. I might even like it more than Civ.

If you like it so much and got it for free because of an error, why don't you legitimately buy it and support the developers?

legend166

K701 said:
If you like it so much and got it for free because of an error, why don't you legitimately buy it and support the developers?

When it comes up for sale on Steam I probably will.

But at the moment it's $90US on the Australian Ubishop, and my hatred for regional price gouging outweighs my desire to reward the developer.

Echoplx

legend166 said:
Well then, I guess they don't want to buy their game.

Yeah I got it for free from the ubifail store and I went to Steam to see how much it would be to buy and it wasn't even there :/ I know they had it for $15 during the Christmas sale so maybe they're just waiting for new keys.

sambo said:
Awesome - looks like Brink has jumped from $49.99 to $89.99. Preordering on Steam definitely pays.

Yep. Exactly the same thing happened with Fallout: New Vegas. Bethesda games seem to show up well before the release date with US prices but as that release date draws close they jack up the price. Fortunately for me I got in on both before they went up and hopefully Skyrim will pan out the same way.

Edit: Same thing has happened to Hunted: The Demon's Forge, though I harbour little interest for that game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
3chopl0x said:
Yeah I got it for free from the ubifail store and I went to Steam to see how much it would be to buy and it wasn't even there :/ I know they had it for $15 during the Christmas sale so maybe they're just waiting for new keys.
Apparently Ubisoft won't patch the Steam version of the game to the newest version, and that patch fixes a major bug that has been known to corrupt save games, so it looks like Steam just stopped selling the game instead.

markot

Banned
Htown said:
Apparently Ubisoft won't patch the Steam version of the game to the newest version, and that patch fixes a major bug that has been known to corrupt save games, so it looks like Steam just stopped selling the game instead.
What complete crumbums.......

Soroc

Sblargh said:
Witcher for 10 bucks. Will fianlly get to play it after hearing so much good about it. :)

I was just about to play the The Witcher myself. Launched it on steam and getting error "Failed to contact key server" :(

Are they out of keys or something?? lol

EDIT: yeah looks like Steam ran out of The Witcher: EE keys. Looks like a 1-2 day wait for keys apparently.

Kyouji said:
I bought it. It uses matchmaking and doesn't seem to have dedicated servers. I'm having fun, but I'm not a fan of the matchmaking.

Thanks, I just would have loved to have seen what would've happened with that game if people were able to tinker with the rules a little.

Moobabe

I can't play any of my valve games online - I'm getting an error telling me I'm running in "Insecure Mode"... I've deleted client registry, checked launch options restarted my pc AND steam but still no luck.

Any ideas?

I've been getting a weird bug, at least I guess it's a bug. Every time I quit out of Prince of Persia Two Thrones, windows media center starts up for who knows what reason. I guess it's not a big deal, just kinda weird.

The game is pretty awesome though, it's the only ps2 PoP I never got to play.

Ickman3400 said:
I've been getting a weird bug, at least I guess it's a bug. Every time I quit out of Prince of Persia Two Thrones, windows media center starts up for who knows what reason. I guess it's not a big deal, just kinda weird.

The game is pretty awesome though, it's the only ps2 PoP I never got to play.

Similar thing happened to me with Guild Wars, of all games. Turns out there's a switch in the command/target line of the game's run shortcut/exe. It's something like -wmp. Just remove that and you should be fine.

I think. Pretty sure that's how I fixed it.

MGHA

Steam wont let me log in. It sent my Steam Guard code in my email and typed it in, but it keeps saying it's wrong. I closed it off and got another code(x3) and its still doing it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just got a different code with a mixture of words and letters, and it worked. I guess straight letter codes don't work?

Echoplx

There seems to be a sale on Mafia II on the UK store but not the US, still works out to be more expensive then the US store :s

2uz57xi.jpg

waht7t.jpg

So I just logged into steam to play some lead and gold and its gone from my list, is the free weekend over?

edit: doh, saw it ended at 1pm pst.

Salaadin

Anyone ever run into any issues with Mount and Blade: Warband? The game launches to the splash screen. If I choose "Play", nothing happens and I have to go into task manager and kill the M&B process. If I select "Config", the whole thing stops responding and I have to force close it.

I only ever played the game once and it worked fine back then but it just stopped now.

EDIT: Verified game cache and defragged game files, still nothing.

EDIT2: And its working now for some reason...

Blizzard

Banned
Mendelevium said:
Steam wont let me log in. It sent my Steam Guard code in my email and typed it in, but it keeps saying it's wrong. I closed it off and got another code(x3) and its still doing it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just got a different code with a mixture of words and letters, and it worked. I guess straight letter codes don't work?
I've seen multiple people apparently have this problem, where the code didn't work. I haven't had it happen to me but I am just logging in from one machine, with Steam Guard apparently enabled automatically. I assume in that circumstance I would not be sent emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom