• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
SalsaShark said:
The star of the show here is Nimbus though, im telling ya

I liked the demo for Nimbus, but to be honest $4.99 is what the every day price should be, and a sale should be even lower than that for a game like this. I'll wait on a bigger deal.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I liked the demo for Nimbus, but to be honest $4.99 is what the every day price should be, and a sale should be even lower than that for a game like this. I'll wait on a bigger deal.
If you're waiting for a game to go under a fiver chances are it would just rot in your epic backlog anyway. That happens every time I buy a game because it is cheap and not because I want to play it.

IrishNinja

SapientWolf said:
If you're waiting for a game to go under a fiver chances are it would just rot in your epic backlog anyway. That happens every time I buy a game because it is cheap and not because I want to play it.

i see the other guy's point, but there's some truth to this.

Nabs

Minsc said:
Interesting, hopefully this doesn't ever become a method of advertising, that is having unbought games listed in your library.
That's how Free Weekends/Weeks always happen.

Volcynika

jaundicejuice said:
That's pretty weak of Valve and EA to advertise a game by adding a false entry into your collection.

Well they do it whenever free weekends for a game come up, don't really see the difference.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Volcynika said:
Well they do it whenever free weekends for a game come up, don't really see the difference.
Pretty much and it's certainly not going to stick around after the beta ends.

Actually wait no, someone go post about this on Reddit.

1-D_FTW

jaundicejuice said:
That's pretty weak of Valve and EA to advertise a game by adding a false entry into your collection.

Then you're doing it wrong. You should have so much crap in that list that you don't even notice the addition of one more game.

Unlike most free weekends however, the darkspore entry, atleast for me, isn't the darker grey that uninstalled games are, it also doesn't have free-weekend or beta as a suffix. Also, instead of clicking install, like other free weekends, the darkspore entry just has a purchase button.

I don't like this as a form of marketing, and it's not because I can't bear to have a game I don't own in my games list. I also don't get why EA are trying to brute force darkspore but they aren't willing to be timely with other core games (see: Dragon Age II Signature Edition pre-orders on Steam).

Oh man, I just read somewhere that you can't actually make your own hero in Darkspore

Is this true? Because if it is, my interest in the game has hit 0.

I STILL play Spore every so often because the creature creator is so fun

Blizzard

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Eh, I'm downloading the demo, and if it seems fun and worth $5 then I feel better about supporting an independent developer than some random company. The blog is kind of interesting. Apparently it's just a programmer and an artist:

http://blog.noumenongames.com/

SapientWolf said:

Good point, but if I followed this philosophy most of these indie games would never make a dime from me, as my backlog is filled with "big name" games I'm probably going to play first, and I doubt I'm alone on that. I figure if buy their game at $2.50 and never play it, I'm helping to support small studios if nothing else. But who knows, I DID like the demo quite a bit so I would probably fire it up a few times, at least.

1-D_FTW

FreeFallin' said:
Unlike most free weekends however, the darkspore entry, atleast for me, isn't the darker grey that uninstalled games are, it also doesn't have free-weekend or beta as a suffix. Also, instead of clicking install, like other free weekends, the darkspore entry just has a purchase button.

I don't like this as a form of marketing, and it's not because I can't bear to have a game I don't own in my games list. I also don't get why EA are trying to brute force darkspore but they aren't willing to be timely with other core games (see: Dragon Age II Signature Edition pre-orders on Steam).

Which is a fair point. Fuck EA for getting a deal that installs this, but a game like Shift 2 (which is locked with 40 extra events and 3 cars for pre-orders), that's withheld until post release (and the disappearance of pre-order items).

I never even thought of this. You, sir, deserve to have your righteous indignation.

Salsa

Im installing The Ball for the first time since i bought it last.. christmas sale was it ?

Just finished a 100% Arkham Asylum run and i need some first person puzzling to get ready for Portal 2 dammit. Should be good, even though the reviews say otherwise..

Blizzard

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Wait until the next step, where EA demos will actually remove all other games from your games list until the demo/free weekend period is over. ;p "Free weekend -- it's not like you can play anything else!"

1-D_FTW

Blizzard said:
Wait until the next step, where EA demos will actually remove all other games from your games list until the demo/free weekend period is over. ;p "Free weekend -- it's not like you can play anything else!"

The good news: EA seems to be discontinuing demos for a lot of their games. Shouldn't be a threat much longer.

Rufus

SalsaShark said:
Im installing The Ball for the first time since i bought it last.. christmas sale was it ?

Just finished a 100% Arkham Asylum run and i need some first person puzzling to get ready for Portal 2 dammit. Should be good, even though the reviews say otherwise..
There's some repetition towards the end and you might want to cheese a few fights right around that time (you have to light enemies on fire using oil - it's fiddly), but it's a good overall.

FreeFallin' said:

Exactly, there's no mention of the free beta or a button to install the beta, there's just a big ol' purchase button. Dark Spore is just there, listed like one of my purchased and installed games. Clicking on the Dark Spore entry in my library just brings me to the general store front. Adding the Dark Spore Beta adds a separate entry.

Most free weekend entries I never even notice because I only view my installed games. It just strikes me as being kinda skeevy.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This Darkspore thing is the first Steam thing in a while that ticks me off.

It just shows up in my list of installed games (not in "all games" like any other beta/free weekend), and only gives an option to purchase. I cannot remove it. Deleting local content does nothing. And I'm not going to install a 5GB beta for a game I don't want.

Come on, Valve. Get it together.

Blizzard

Banned
Htown said:

It just shows up in my list of installed games (not in "all games" like any other beta/free weekend), and only gives an option to purchase. I cannot remove it. Deleting local content does nothing. And I'm not going to install a 5GB beta for a game I don't want.

It seems to have vanished from my list after I visited the store page, but it could be total coincidence.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Htown said:

It should disappear after the beta ends. If it doesn't then that is legit stupid. Until then I can ignore it.

Lol it disappeared after I started installing the beta (which was fun the other weekend I tried it).

They did the same thing with one of the Left 4 Dead games. It was gone after the demo ended, so I had no reason to complain. I guarantee it will not be on there when the beta ends.

PedroLumpy said:
Well, you know as problems go, it's not the biggest deal. Anyway they seemed to have removed it from the Library now.

No shit. Change your fucking tampons people.

Anyway, the game is pure crack. I was somewhat annoyed that I couldn't create my own hero from the ground up, but after playing the game and seeing how it works, I can't wait to unlock all the hero types and collect all the parts and weapons.

The game is also extremely polished and runs like butter and the combat feels really good. The back-stories and universe are also interesting and well written.

Can't wait to dig into this. If anyone wants to go in on a 4-pack ($37.50), contact me.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
can't recommend nimbus enough, i put a couple of words in its ot a few weeks ago:

this game is really fucking great. i picked it up on a whim during my end-of-steam-sale deep catalogue browse and have enjoyed it more than super meat boy so far.

it starts off much easier than smb, with more of a gentle, puzzle bent - but by the later stages you'll need bullet hell levels of dexterity to manoeuvre through some of the obstacles.

mandatory for aerophiles, necessary for fans of smb, recommended for anyone else. at very least ear-mark it for the next steam sale.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423652

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Glad I picked up L&G. Servers are a wreck, but finding that game with the low ping and balance teams is pretty fantastic. Not quite use to the aiming still

Korranator

LocoMrPollock said:
Anyway, the game is pure crack. I was somewhat annoyed that I couldn't create my own hero from the ground up, but after playing the game and seeing how it works, I can't wait to unlock all the hero types and collect all the parts and weapons.

The game is also extremely polished and runs like butter and the combat feels really good. The back-stories and universe are also interesting and well written.

Can't wait to dig into this. If anyone wants to go in on a 4-pack ($37.50), contact me.

Counterpoint: so far from playing the tutorial and first level, the game is meh.........

Fancy, gimmicky, custom options on the many playable creatures that you probably will never get attached to. Gameplay wise it felt like a poor mans Diablo, read.....limited options, click-click-click. No skill tress, and the actual character movement was painfully slow. I'll try a few more levels before I completely write it off.

Granted I've been playing Titan Quest, so my opinion here may be slanted, but IMO you're probably better off getting Magicka or Torchlight.

LiquidMetal14 said:
When is the OB going on sale again? I've been wanting to buy on PC forever.

If there is one game that is worth full price, it has to be The Orange Box. With that said, if you don't have the urge to play it "right now" then you can wait until it goes on sale.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Lasthope106 said:
If there is one game that is worth full price, it has to be The Orange Box. With that said, if you don't have the urge to play it "right now" then you can wait until it goes on sale.
With all the good sales I am more than full with games on my plate. I definitely can wait but if it doesn't go on sale over the summer, I will just buy it for 30.

Korranator said:
Counterpoint: so far from playing the tutorial and first level, the game is meh.........

Fancy, gimmicky, custom options on the many playable creatures that you probably will never get attached to. Gameplay wise it felt like a poor mans Diablo, read.....limited options, click-click-click. No skill tress, and the actual character movement was painfully slow. I'll try a few more levels before I completely write it off.

Granted I've been playing Titan Quest, so my opinion here may be slanted, but IMO you're probably better off getting Magicka or Torchlight.

Well the skill trees are replaced by upgrades, skills and other parts. It would be kind of silly to have skill trees for a hundred playable characters anyway.

I thought it felt really good gameplay wise. The combat had some UMPH! behind it, with some small combos and the like and I also like the Pokemon type collect 'em all aspect as well as the setting, or settings rather.

I love TQ, Diablo and Torchlight is alright, despite being totally generic, but they are all pretty much interchangeable. Darkspore is just different enough to be engaging and new while keeping some of the other elements of those games and adding some new ideas to a pretty stagnant genre. I can't remember the last loot game that actually did something new or different.

Salsa

AcridMeat said:
Thank me too! Since in turn, I carry all of Salsa's power. Enjoy sir.

you dick

lol

(he's the gaffer i preordered Portal 2 with, apparently he got the giftable copies dammit)

AcridMeat

Banned
Whatever man, we both know I'm the real charitable one. ;)

edit: SalsaShark is evil and don't listen to any of his game suggestions ever. Translation: He suggested Eversion and it's hard as balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom