• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best purchase of this month was easily Lonesome Road and the Gun Runners' Arsenal packs for New Vegas, what is wrong with you people?

*goes back to playing Hellgate: London*

Chesskid1

Banned
i know some of you were wondering about dungeon defenders demo.

don't play the prototype demo. there will be launch day demo and the stats will carry over to the full game.

Flunkie said:
Netflix + Breaking Bad > Steam

That's been my free time recently.

Way less expensive!!

crazy-squirrel-who-is-clearly-on-drugs.png

Echoplx

Flunkie said:

Way less expensive!!

Was pretty much the same for me this week, but then I finished watching it and clocked Bound in Blood in a day :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
3chopl0x said:
Was pretty much the same for me this week, but then I finished watching it and clocked Bound in Blood in a day :p

Finished watching it? But the current season of Breaking Bad has one more episode left.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Flunkie said:

Way less expensive!!

complete opposite for me i stopped using my netflix account once i got a gaming pc lol.

Echoplx

JaseC said:
Finished watching it? But the current season of Breaking Bad has one more episode left.

Well I meant finished watching the currently released episodes, I look forward to the finale tonight/tomorrow (urgh timezones)

JaseC

You North Americans and NetFlix. *shakes head endearingly*

Edit:
3chopl0x said:
Well I meant finished watching the currently released episodes, I looks forward to the finale tonight/tomorrow (urgh timezones)

Ah. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Notrollious said:
How's Universe Sandbox?
Thanks to Nabs earlier in the thread:

Nabs said:
The developers website has a demo you guys can try out. I recommend using the SpaceChem OST as background music :D

I bought it and haven't tried it yet, but I get the impression that it is a neat toy to play with for a while if you're into that sort of thing, but as far as I know it isn't much of a "game" per se. Not necessarily bad, just different, perhaps.

Flunkie

Banned
I tried asbestos I could to finish Season 3 and go through Season 4 so I could watch the season finale of 4 with friends, but I'm not even done with 3 yet. :(

Nightz

Gav and chixdiggit, I'll get in touch with you about Dungeon Defenders tonight. I'm not at home at the moment.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally went through the Orcs Must Die demo. It's cool! It seemed to run pretty well with 4xMSAA, and the graphics are very clean. Stuff gets a bit hectic when lots of enemies are on the screen, and I imagine later levels may grow frustrating, but it's entertaining early on.

I did get crazy tearing/jitter in a scrolling animation, and D3DOverrider vsync + triple buffering with vsync off ingame seems to work fine.

Salsa

Syphon Filter said:
Do you guys think even MW3 will go on sale around the holiday steam sales? Did it happen for black ops?

It'll probably go on sale for 55 bucks.

Best chance for COD game on the cheap is either CD key site, a good promotion in another vendor like Direct2Drive, or waiting 4-5 years.

Nabs

Syphon Filter said:
Do you guys think even MW3 will go on sale around the holiday steam sales? Did it happen for black ops?
Doubt it. Keep your eyes open for sales at retail. A friend picked up Blops for $10 at Target last holiday.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
It'll probably go on sale for 55 bucks.

Best chance for COD game on the cheap is either CD key site, a good promotion in another vendor like Direct2Drive, or waiting 4-5 years.
Target had Black Ops on PC for 10$ on Black Friday (that's an American tradition).

Derrick01

Banned
Syphon Filter said:

The best you could hope for on the winter sale is probably $45 at the lowest. You're better off taking whatever pre-release deal you can find since it's Steamworks. If you can find it for $50 then take it.

Question about free copies of games you get with pre-orders. when you uninstall them do they stay in your game library or do they get erased but you can download them again?

JaseC

I die a little inside every time Wario posts his two-weeks-after-release BOMBA threads.

Syphon Filter said:
Question about free copies of games you get with pre-orders. when you uninstall them do they stay in your game library or do they get erased but you can download them again?

They get added like you bought them.

Derrick01

Banned
Is there any way to make the text bigger in Europa Universalis III? On 1920x1080 it's tiny as hell and I went lower a few times and it didn't really help any. I hate when games do that (they also want a restart each time you change resolution...)

marrec

Banned
My Fiancee on Universe Sandbox:

"I had more Earths around Jupiter, but they must of collided..."

Okay, I may have to get it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
well we get our equivalent for other stuff, too bad retail is dead
Maybe where you live. My local Target gives plenty of shelf space for PC releases. They even have space for pre-paid MMO cards and stuff.

Derrick01

Banned
SteveWinwood said:
Speaking of cards. When is steam getting cards? I want relatives to buy me these cards for christmas.

I've been wanting this forever now. Despite my pleas to relatives that I don't shop at Amazon and Gamestop anymore I still end up with a boatload of cards from both around my birthday and christmas. That's fine for the occasional steamworks game but it's really limiting. It doesn't help that the winter sale takes place around then too.

Derrick01 said:
I've been wanting this forever now. Despite my pleas to relatives that I don't shop at Amazon and Gamestop anymore I still end up with a boatload of cards from both around my birthday and christmas. That's fine for the occasional steamworks game but it's really limiting. It doesn't help that the winter sale takes place around then too.
It can't be that hard. Every goddamn korean shit mmo has them. Half of the Targets rack of cards are pre paid phone cards or red lobster gift cards. The other half is maple story or shitville. I WANT STEAM GIFTCARDS!!!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hell PSN has giftcards too and even Nintendo.

WHY CANT STEAM GIVE ME CARDS FOR STEAM MONEY

Huh, I was wondering why people stopped posting in the last Steam thread...

marrec said:
My Fiancee on Universe Sandbox:

"I had more Earths around Jupiter, but they must of collided..."

Okay, I may have to get it.
If you have any interest in astrophysics, it's a great simulator.

Salsa

god dammit why did i quit RAGE to update now slow texture streaming is back and i wanted to play tonight aaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhh

DiscoJer

Schmattakopf said:
Huh, I was wondering why people stopped posting in the last Steam thread...

If you have any interest in astrophysics, it's a great simulator.

I was looking at that, and it looks more like orbital mechanics. Astrophysics is more about the insides of stars/planets/etc and what makes them tick.

Basically it seems to be an n-body simulator with fancy graphics. Which is sort of neat in its own right, but not nearly as impressive as the title of the program would imply

plc268

DiscoJer said:
I was looking at that, and it looks more like orbital mechanics. Astrophysics is more about the insides of stars/planets/etc and what makes them tick.

Basically it seems to be an n-body simulator with fancy graphics. Which is sort of neat in its own right, but not nearly as impressive as the title of the program would imply

Yea, I agree with this. It's good fun to mess around with for an hour or two, but it gets really dull afterwords. I still open it occasionally to try out a different scenario, but the simulation becomes highly inaccurate at a high time interval.

DiscoJer said:

I think you mean celestial mechanics. Either way, I was talking about the field in general terms, just to make the point that it's a simulator and someone looking for a game won't find much. The title and Steam page do seem to dramatise its capabilities, but it is generally advertised as a gravity simulator. Even on the Steam page, it explicitly says as you described: Interactive, real-time, n-body gravity simulator.

So just considering what it does, what it contains, what it costs, that it's 344MB and supported by a passionate one-man developer, I repeat: If you have any interest in astrophysics [sic], it's a great simulator.

plc268 said:
Yea, I agree with this. It's good fun to mess around with for an hour or two, but it gets really dull afterwords. I still open it occasionally to try out a different scenario, but the simulation becomes highly inaccurate at a high time interval.
It's true that it gets inaccurate when you increase the time step disproportionately; the developer even mentions this in the FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom