• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I got Universe Sandbox...

...how do I adjust graphics settings? The sun looks like a yellow ball without glowiness.

Sinatar said:
You're right, it's not bad, it's fucking ridiculously awful.

I disagree. I think most people were just expecting something else. And you didn't care for the Dungeon Siege games if I recall?

Anyway, I had a good time with it for what it is. Exploring an abandoned space ship filled with monsters and shit, upgrading weapons and skills. Nice graphics that will run on a toaster, decent controls and combat. Camera was a bit annoying at times, but otherwise it's a solid arpg, imo. Definitely had a lot more fun with it than I did with Torchlight, which gets universally praised despite being mind-numbingly boring, tedious and unoriginal.

jakershaker said:
No it's actually one of the worst ever.

Heh, I wonder how many people actually even played it? What's so terrible about it?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Flunkie said:
So why is everyone making graphs of the sizes of their folders?

The real question is what will become the next metric we whip out and hammer against the wall until a hole forms?

We've done the date you joined.
We've done the value of your Steam account.
We've done the number of games you own.
Now we're doing the size on disk.

I predict the next will be how many hard-drives you have dedicated to Steam. I'll start: 1.

iNvid02

morningbus said:
The real question is what will become the next metric we whip out and hammer against the wall until a hole forms?

I predict the next will be how many hard-drives you have dedicated to Steam. I'll start: 1.

how much space do you have dedicated to steam sounds better, i got 1x 2tb drive for steam and origin but its a 90-10% ratio

morningbus said:

It's no wonder the Girl-GAF thread exists, they've been mistakenly using these stats outside of GAF. xD

coopolon

morningbus said:

Playtime I think is the next metric. Everyone takes screenshots of their games lists with hours played.

iNvidious01 said:
how much space do you have dedicated to steam sounds better, i got 1x 2tb drive for steam and origin but its a 90-10% ratio

I got 2x2TB wd20ears drives dedicated to steam in RAID0.

;)

coopolon said:
Playtime I think is the next metric. Everyone takes screenshots of their games lists with hours played.

I don't think many people are interested in a contest where everyone loses.

MRORANGE

morningbus said:

average of how many games compared to how much you paid for them

on average I pay $15/ £10 per game

Spl1nter

coopolon said:

Pretty inaccurate due to idling. My time in BC2 is about 100 hours higher than actual time played.

1-D_FTW

morningbus said:

The number of games you hate/will never try?

LocoMrPollock said:
Heh, I wonder how many people actually even played it? What's so terrible about it?

It falls horribly short of the mediocre but enjoyable Dungeon Siege series keeping nothing that made the series good and at the same time fails at pretty much everything else. A sci-fi mod for DS2 would be 100x better then Space Siege.

Gvaz

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
This is actually not a bad game.
0277_0m3v070s.gif

kafiend

morningbus said:

Can't we just do penis size?

Also RE: Steam metrics; who gives a shit? It's far less annoying than the hundreds of "backlog" threads a week filled with people moaning about having too many games to play.

1-D_FTW

3chopl0x said:
Except they took out the fun.

And added Matchmaking via GFWL.

GFWL and shooters = Thank goodness I was in the beta and had my face slapped good. I would have been day one without grasping what a horrible concept that is. It's been years since I played a shooter on Live (first year of its existence).

MRORANGE said:
I thought gfwl was left to rot...

WHY DO DEVELOPERS KEEP USING IT?!

WAIT I KNOW THIS ONE

Because most developers make 360 games and port them to PC. GFWL is like a drop-in replacement for the Xbox Live functions of your console game but for PCs.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
SalsaShark said:
well we get our equivalent for other stuff, too bad retail is dead
Nowhere near as insane as Black Friday though :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jim-jam bongs said:
Also RE: Steam metrics; who gives a shit? It's far less annoying than the hundreds of "backlog" threads a week filled with people moaning about having too many games to play.
OMG, SKyrim and Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 are all coming out. And I have to beat the other 30 games in my backlog! Woe is me!

MRORANGE said:
I thought gfwl was left to rot...

WHY DO DEVELOPERS KEEP USING IT?!

Generally speaking if you're doing a multi-platform release, be it physical media or DD, making the PC version work on GFWL is easier because the 360 version exists and the api for Live on both platforms is pretty much the same. You don't have to hire someone with specialized skills, knowledge or expertise with Steam or other DRM. Also some publishers and developers don't necessarily set aside enough time or money to make a proper PC release.

MRORANGE

jaundicejuice said:
Generally speaking if you're doing a multi-platform release, be it physical media or DD, making the PC version work on GFWL is easier because the 360 version exists and the api for Live on both platforms is pretty much the same. You don't have to hire someone with specialized skills, knowledge or expertise with Steam or other DRM. Also some publishers and developers don't necessarily set aside enough time or money to make a proper PC release.

That just plain sucks, although that does explain a lot for gta4

DTKT

jaundicejuice said:

I thought the point of Steamworks was that it's easy to integrate?

I don't know my gamerscore :\

To be fair, my flatmate has been using my 360 and Live account for about 3 years so only the PC stuff on it is actually mine.

DTKT said:
I thought the point of Steamworks was that it's easy to integrate?

I'm not saying Steamworks isn't easy to use. I'm just saying it's even easier when you essentially have one api take care of two sku's. That's the pragmatic solution when your project is pressed for time and/or you team doesn't have the internal know-how. Even with Steam being the clear winner in the digital distribution and drm arms race, you still get the occasional GFWL title and this is probably why.

I don't think GFWL will ever truly die, not with Microsoft integrating it in some fashion into Windows 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom