• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidote

UnluckyKate said:
If my brother lives in Russia, can I give him my Steam account to buy cheap games ? Or should he buy them and put the key in the account after that ?

There's an easier way, so nothing weird happens. Make a steam account for him with his Russian address and all that stuff. He can buy the games as gifts and send them to your account.

Nightz

Brazil said:
The tower-placing and managing mechanics also aren't as satisfying as the ones in Sanctum, for example. I'd recommend that over Dungeon Defenders.
Thanks for that recommendation. I took a look and it might be something I'm interested in.

Acidote said:
There's an easier way, so nothing weird happens. Make a steam account for him with his Russian address and all that stuff. He can buy the games as gifts and send them to your account.

Perfect. But how can I access the russian store (to keep track of prices and such)

UnluckyKate said:
Perfect. But how can I access the russian store (to keep track of prices and such)

You can access the Russian site with this URL - http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=RU

When you're done, you can revert back to your own store by adding the letters of your own country (?cc=US if you're in USA, ?cc=UK if you're in UK, ?cc=FR if you're in France etc). Find out the correct one for your country.

spindoctor said:
You can access the Russian site with this URL - http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=RU

When you're done, you can revert back to your own store by adding the letters of your own country (?cc=US if you're in USA, ?cc=UK if you're in UK, ?cc=FR if you're in France etc). Find out the correct one for your country.

That's awesome, everything is in French (my language) but prices are un rubbles. Damn, it's way cheaper ! Thanks again

Mrbob

I know it isn't the best comparison as I have Dungeon Defenders on my ipod touch and wasn't impressed with the game. I'm sure the PC version will be better, but I'd rather get Orcs Must Die. I'll look into Dungeon Defenders in a steam holiday sale. Get a sexy low priced 4 pack. Co Op could be really fun.

All of this talk about Fable 3 and how bad it is has had me thinking about the first Fable, which I enjoyed and how I never played The Lost Chapters. I remember hearing that Fable: The Lost Chapter was 5$ on the GFWL Marketplace, so I boot the client up and am greeted with this...

GFWL.jpg

I have a client installed on my machine directing me to an external website.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jaundicejuice said:
All of this talk about Fable 3 and how bad it is has had me thinking about the first Fable, which I enjoyed and how I never played The Lost Chapters. I remember hearing that Fable: The Lost Chapter was 5$ on the GFWL Marketplace, so I boot the client up and am greeted with this...

It's basically because they killed GFWL but they aren't ready to launch the Windows 8 Xbox.com GFWL replacement stuff, so in the mean time it's super awkward to deal with their DD stuff.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jaundicejuice said:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/jaundicejuice/GFWL.jpg

I have a client installed on my machine directing me to an external website.

$5 in real money or $5 in space bucks?

Edit: Is space bucks even the legal tender of choice with GfWL? I admit ignorance to the matter.

Edit 2: It's AUD$15. :/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:
It's basically because they killed GFWL but they aren't ready to launch the Windows 8 Xbox.com GFWL replacement stuff, so in the mean time it's super awkward to deal with their DD stuff.
My games will still transfer over though? Hopefully? The PC ones that is. I spend 2.10 to get Ages of Empires III, Viva Pinata, and Shadowrun. I want to keep them!

Stumpokapow said:
Didn't they already tried the xbox live on pc when they first brought gfwl?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Syphon Filter said:
Didn't they already tried the xbox live on pc when they first brought gfwl?

A rough history:
- They launch "Games for Windows Live", an Xbox Live style pay subscription service for PC. This is not accompanied with a marketplace (or if it is, it's an in-game DLC marketplace only), and it's just an Xbox Overlay Client for certain PC games + achievements.

- The subscription service fails, so it is made free.

- Later on, they launch Games for Windows (Live?) Marketplace, a desktop-based client to download certain games. Tinker is available for free at launch.

- Later on from that, they launch Games for Windows (Live?) Marketplace, a web-based store to do purchasing. I think they still had the client available to handle downloads. This was the web-based store that looked a lot like a cleaner, emptier Steam.

- After a while of doing this, they give up and transfer all of their GFWLM download management over to Xbox.com, where it is now. You can still buy the same games, but it's all managed through there. The poster is using the GFWM desktop client and it's directing him to Xbox.com. This is where we are now.

- In the future, they plan to more fully integrate their gaming initiative, which will probably be called Xbox Live, into Windows 8. Unknown if they'll use a desktop client, a web client, both, a hybrid like Steam, or if it'll be built right into the OS.

Chesskid1

Banned
Dungeon Defenders 4-pack $40.49/$10.13
1. Chesskid1
2. Archie
3. Davidion
4. Xelios

all gone. bought and sent. thanks all.

another guy was interested i've noticed but was too late, so someone should start another one.

theycallmeryan

Neo Member
Man, Universe Sandbox has been on my wishlist for a while, but at $5 it is too expensive for me right now (just bought a few games on sale, plus NBA 2K12 on PS3).

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Chesskid1 said:
Dungeon Defenders 4-pack $40.49/$10.13
1. Chesskid1
2. Archie
3. Davidion
4. Xelios

all gone. bought and sent. thanks all.

Thanks for Dungeon Defenders Chesskid. That was nice of you.

Chesskid1

Banned
that prototype demo was crap and i wouldn't bother with it tbh.

hopefully they make a legit demo of the fully developed game. or you can try it on android/iphone if you have those.

i blind bought it cause it looked really cool, heh.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
SapientWolf said:
Steam exclusive DLC for Dungeon Defenders? Oh come on. I pre-ordered it back on Gamersgate over a year ago because Steam didn't have it up for pre-order yet.
Why on Earth would you preorder something that far out?

Or was the game delayed?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Htown said:
Why on Earth would you preorder something that far out?

Or was the game delayed?
It was supposed to come on in November of 2010. I pre-ordered it at $8.99 because I knew the quality indicated that it was a $15 title.

bs000

JaseC said:
$5 in real money or $5 in space bucks?

Edit: Is space bucks even the legal tender of choice with GfWL? I admit ignorance to the matter.

Edit 2: It's AUD$15. :/

You can use monies or spacebucks.

Mrbob said:
I know it isn't the best comparison as I have Dungeon Defenders on my ipod touch and wasn't impressed with the game. I'm sure the PC version will be better, but I'd rather get Orcs Must Die.

I'll second that. I have the Android version of the game and it's really not that great. Unless the PC version comes with completely revamped gameplay, I'd go with Orcs too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Best purchase of the month: Crysis Warhead. Holy shit, this game kicks ass. And unlike Crysis 1, it runs at a perfect 60FPS on my rig with the settings cranked. I shed a tear.

MRORANGE

Snuggler said:
Best purchase of the month: Crysis Warhead. Holy shit, this game kicks ass. And unlike Crysis 1, it runs at a perfect 60FPS on my rig with the settings cranked. I shed a tear.

I kinda had mixed feeling with crysis warhead, the levels seemed less complex in design than the first one, but I still loved it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Narag said:
I think I appreciated how straightforward it was. It was a nice complement to Crysis.

This is how I'm feeling. It's tighter and more focused, but not in a bad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom