• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroGreg

I played about 5 hours of Borderlands on the 360 and it was pretty fun. I'm always tempted to get the game of the year version on Steam when it is on sale just to get all the DLC, but I've heard it was a pain to navigate the menus on the PC compared to console. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Silex

RetroGreg said:
I played about 5 hours of Borderlands on the 360 and it was pretty fun. I'm always tempted to get the game of the year version on Steam when it is on sale just to get all the DLC, but I've heard it was a pain to navigate the menus on the PC compared to console. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

They really did make a crappy port, and it is annoying, but still entirely playable.

I personally liked the game, it's mindless fun and a nice game to play with friends.

MRORANGE said:
D: did you play with people or alone?

Oh have you not heard Jim-Jam's tales of Borderlands?

Bought the 4-pack and gifted the remainder to my mates because Randy Pitchford excitedly told the world it was going to be a proper PC game.

Found out it was using Gamespy for online and said WTF, but at least I had an account from UT3 which also inexplicably used Gamespy.

Tried to play online with friends and eventually had to give up because the game was totally broken. Played 8 hours of the game solo and decided I'd rather stare at the ceiling.

And so ended Jim-Jam's tales of Borderlands.

benjipwns

Banned
RetroGreg said:
They patched it. I don't have any issues with it really.

But then again I think it's fine single player. And maybe prefer it that way.

MRORANGE

jim-jam bongs said:
Oh have you not heard Jim-Jam's tales of Borderlands?

Bought the 4-pack and gifted the remainder to my mates because Randy Pitchford excitedly told the world it was going to be a proper PC game.

Found out it was using Gamespy for online and said WTF, but at least I had an account from UT3 which also inexplicably used Gamespy.

Tried to play online with friends and eventually had to give up because the game was totally broken. Played 8 hours of the game solo and decided I'd rather stare at the ceiling.

And so ended Jim-Jam's tales of Borderlands.

That's a shame, although they did later on used steamworks functionality (a bit too late to save the game imo)

graywolf323

LastWindow said:
First two people to reply to this get a game of their choice from the Halloween sale that's $10 or less. Just leave your Steam ID and the game you want.

damn that was awesome of you

wish I hadn't missed out

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
RetroGreg said:
Yes. The menus are a pain.

First thing first, you want to rip some "coalesced" whatever in the .ini file so it doesn't undo the changes you're about to make. Then you want to fix the FOV, allow quality blur, maybe some shadow options, disable intro screens, then you want to right click on it in Steam and pick "Delete Local Content..." and push the DELETE button on the pop-up. After that, play something else, knowing that you avoided many annoying memories that would flood back every time someone mentions the game.

MRORANGE said:
That's a shame, although they did later on used steamworks functionality (a bit too late to save the game imo)

By the time everything had settled down with the online and it was working properly without having to use port-forwarding (in a PROPER PC GAME) my mates just didn't want to play any more, and neither did I particularly. It sucks because I am such a degenerate loot-whore that it should have been a lock.

Before I forget, I saw you post the other day that you still haven't picked up Dead Island. What's that all about?

Silex

MRORANGE said:

It didn't actually change anything.
The game still uses gamespy for co-op, and the menu controls still suck.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I liked Borderlands. It was more or less a mish-mash of things that have been done better in other games, but as a whole I found it pretty entertaining. Mostly because I liked melting midget faces with corrosive ammo.

Still haven't touched any of the expansions, though, I should do that someday.

MRORANGE

jim-jam bongs said:
By the time everything had settled down with the online and it was working properly without having to use port-forwarding (in a PROPER PC GAME) my mates just didn't want to play any more, and neither did I particularly. It sucks because I am such a degenerate loot-whore that it should have been a lock.

Before I forget, I saw you post the other day that you still haven't picked up Dead Island. What's that all about?

I am broke most of the time :D I must have had money at one point or another but I keep having to pay off bills, plus my friends already played it without me so there's no real urge to get it now.

moojito

Stalker soc and amnesia all up ins. Was considering dead space pack, but I reckon it'll be back round at christmas. Also, I have no idea how much (if anything) is in my bank account.

MRORANGE said:
I am broke most of the time :D I must have had money at one point or another but I keep having to pay off bills, plus my friends already played it without me so there's no real urge to get it now.

Gah that's a bummer, see that was a game which felt like what I wanted Borderlands to be.

It's a similar pitch; co-op action game with loot, but the fact that the actual combat and skill-trees are really fantastic just made it so much better to me. If Borderlands had better shooting, or better loot, or a better story, or... etc etc. They both feel somewhat mediocre when broken down into their components, but Dead Island manages to be better than the sum of its parts, while Borderlands just gets bogged down in them.

RetroGreg

Dice said:
Yes. The menus are a pain.

First thing first, you want to rip some "coalesced" whatever in the .ini file so it doesn't undo the changes you're about to make. Then you want to fix the FOV, allow quality blur, maybe some shadow options, disable intro screens, then you want to right click on it in Steam and pick "Delete Local Content..." and push the DELETE button on the pop-up. After that, play something else, knowing that you avoided many annoying memories that would flood back every time someone mentions the game.

LOL

Snuggler said:
I liked Borderlands. It was more or less a mish-mash of things that have been done better in other games, but as a whole I found it pretty entertaining. Mostly because I liked melting midget faces with corrosive ammo.

Still haven't touched any of the expansions, though, I should do that someday.

Yeah, I enjoyed it also and mostly played alone. The sequel is one of my most anticipated games of next year.

I redeemed the A.R.E.S. DLC during the Steam summer camp promotion but didn't own the game at the time. I just activated the game from the Indie Royale bundle but it's not showing the Berserker DLC. When I go to the DLC page, it's showing the 0.99 price instead of showing that I own it.

Any way I can fix this?

Caerith

The DLC page always shows the prices and "Add to Cart" for DLC you already own. I haven't played ARES yet but I think the DLC is active automatically.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I redeemed the A.R.E.S. DLC during the Steam summer camp promotion but didn't own the game at the time. I just activated the game from the Indie Royale bundle but it's not showing the Berserker DLC. When I go to the DLC page, it's showing the 0.99 price instead of showing that I own it.

Any way I can fix this?

Right click the game's name in Steam and select properties. Then check the DLC tab. Is anything there?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Turfster said:
Phones home every time you start Alice, then keeps running a WMI every so often to do... something.
Doesn't say jack about that on the page, I wouldn't have bought it then. =[

morningbus said:
Right click the game's name in Steam and select properties. Then check the DLC tab. Is anything there?

"You currently have no DLC for this game." :(

I loaded up the game and played for a few minutes and the DLC wasn't there at all. As for the game, I'm not a huge fan of the crosshair aiming but everything else is great. Really nice presentation.

kxYHH.jpg

7UeCe.jpg

Done.

Turfster

shintoki said:
Doesn't say jack about that on the page, I wouldn't have bought it then. =[
Yeah, I know. Apparently, that shit is in all recent EA PC games. (Haven't played any others, so I dunno, but if you have an eacoreserver.exe in there somewhere, it has it.)

Blizzard

Banned
Turfster said:
Yeah, I know. Apparently, that shit is in all recent EA PC games. (Haven't played any others, so I dunno, but if you have an eacoreserver.exe in there somewhere, it has it.)
Do you have any links about the phoning home and WMI part? I didn't find anything related to Alice from a quick search, but I did see BF3 references in regard to the EA core server.

Turfster

Blizzard said:
Do you have any links about the phoning home and WMI part? I didn't find anything related to Alice from a quick search, but I did see BF3 references in regard to the EA core server.
Er, just personal experience while playing. (I am paranoid and have task manager open while playing games)
When the game boots, it connects to proxysomethingorother on an EA domain.
Then, regularly during the game (let's say every 20-30ish minutes), I get a stutter in Alice and a new wmiprvse.exe opens. (This only happens during Alice, with or without steam overlay)

Oh, also: After you buy it on steam and run it for the first time, you have to log in to an EA account (which will become an origin account later!) and add the key to activate it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Gvaz said:
Nothing in here is community, there's nothing wrong with a little chatting. Sheesh.
Sure there is. Everything's wrong with a little chatting.
When I wake up and look into this thread, it's 5 pages longer, and it's 5 pages because of "I'm poor" outcries, Steam friends begging, fuckin' "My library is worth this-and-that" shit.. Just stop it. This is not an IRC channel. Get the fuck out. Post about games or go somewhere else.
I mean, I don't even get the "Bought" posts that really just consist of a statement that you bought some game. Who gives a shit what you bought? Play it and post experiences, then we're talking.

There should be a rule that every post should contain at least one game title in this thread.

Far Cry 2 is awesome, by the way. It's the best. Imagine a grenade rolling down a hill.

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
I was thinking about getting those but according to Joe Molotov they aren't very good?
I'll probably get Scratches on either gog or steam though. Already own the rest and I'm playing through Penumbra: Overture right now.

Joe who?

Oh, GAF member Joe Molotov?

Well, they aren't the most amazing adventure games out there. vs Jack the Ripper does some really interesting things with investigations. Dark Falls is rather creepy, but a much more "indie" effort - it's one dude who does everything. Most of the games you just have to see for yourself if you dig them or not. Most of them have demos I believe, though they may not be on Steam. If you like the Adventure genre, you should definitely play them all. Scratches is just amazing, so wherever you get it is a good thing! The guy who made it is coming out with a new game at some point called "Asylum", which looks pretty cool.

Again, with the small amount of decent->great Adventure games we get, it's always a good idea to check them out on your own.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:

Any way I can fix this?

Huh... And here I thought I was the only one...

I can't see my unlocks from the summer camp as well, so there's no way for me to double-check :/

Caerith

OneMoreQuestion said:
Huh... And here I thought I was the only one...

I can't see my unlocks from the summer camp as well, so there's no way for me to double-check :/
There are two ways to double check:

Account Details -> Licenses & Transactions, scroll down and you should see the prize booth redemptions as Complimentary transactions.

Or go to the store page for the DLC and it'll say you already own it.

I got the DLC from the summer camp too, and only just yesterday got the game (via indie royale bundle), but the DLC has been showing up as owned both in the transaction history and on the store page ever since.

benjipwns

Banned
The online doesn't work, good luck trying to connect to the 2K servers, but that's normal with 2K. Other than that it's fine.

Caerith said:
There are two ways to double check:

Account Details -> Licenses & Transactions, scroll down and you should see the prize booth redemptions as Complimentary transactions.

Or go to the store page for the DLC and it'll say you already own it.

I got the DLC from the summer camp too, and only just yesterday got the game (via indie royale bundle), but the DLC has been showing up as owned both in the transaction history and on the store page ever since.

Thanks, turned out that I didn't redeem it after all :p

Aselith

Anyone got impressions on Trapped Dead, Bunch of Heroes and Dead Horde? Do Dead Horde and BoH work well with a 360 controller? They say controller enabled but that doesn't necessarily mean it works WELL of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom