• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aselith said:
Anyone got impressions on Trapped Dead, Bunch of Heroes and Dead Horde? Do Dead Horde and BoH work well with a 360 controller? They say controller enabled but that doesn't necessarily mean it works WELL of course.

Trapped Dead: Fun atmosphere but the gameplay is off. It's a strategy game but it really feels like it started as a twin-stick shooter and then at the last minute they tacked on the point-and-click feature of a lot of strategy games. There's not much to it, it's short and easy.

Bunch of Heroes: I haven't put much time into this yet but from what I have played it's just another twin-stick shooter. But apparently it's really fun online playing with others.

Dead Horde: Another twin-shooter. I liked it and it's not too long or too short. Doesn't do anything differently from other games of that type.

Barrett2

Installed Bootcamp on my 2011 MacBook Pro, and was surprised at how well L4D2 ran. Thinking of taking it up a notch, trying out Batman, Dead Island.

Anyone else playing on a 2011 MBP? Trying to determine what the 'ceiling' is for games it can run.

lawblob said:
Installed Bootcamp on my 2011 MacBook Pro, and was surprised at how well L4D2 ran. Thinking of taking it up a notch, trying out Batman, Dead Island.

Anyone else playing on a 2011 MBP? Trying to determine what the 'ceiling' is for games it can run.

But Left 4 Dead runs on Osx, so you don't need bootcamp

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dead Space 2
Zombie Shooter
Zombie Shooter 2

Awww yeah son, that's basically all I was going to be looking for in the Christmas Sale.

svegis

drizzle said:
I've had people on my friend list playing a "non-steam" version of Modern Warfare 2. You figure that one out... :D

Mysterious! I can pretty much guess what the cause of that is, but I thought more of how they would prove if the game is NOT Steamworks. With MW2 it should be easy enough to see that it doesn't do a call home and deal with the culprit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tomodachi said:
So. Any sense in playing Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines without having played Redemption?

Redemption has no connections to Bloodlines. Don't sweat it. Bloodlines is it's own game, and it is fucking so good bro.

Wallach

Snuggler said:
Redemption has nothing to do with Bloodlines. Don't sweat it. Bloodlines is it's own game, and it is fucking so good bro.

This is the second time I've seen your avatar tonight and each time it has added a new accessory. It's like I'm playing forum TF2!

Tomodachi

Snuggler said:
Redemption has no connections to Bloodlines. Don't sweat it. Bloodlines is it's own game, and it is fucking so good bro.
Just what I wanted to year, thank you man. Halloween Sale day 2, here I come :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tomodachi said:
Just what I wanted to year, thank you man. Halloween Sale day 2, here I come :D

Good. Now play Bloodlines right now or I will find you and I will punch you in the face.

Wallach said:
This is the second time I've seen your avatar tonight and each time it has added a new accessory. It's like I'm playing forum TF2!

I'm going as renegade snuggler for halloween. so watch out.

Tomodachi

Snuggler said:
Good. Now play Bloodlines right now or I will find you and I will punch you in the face.
Ouch. Will do, my backlog will be angry for being surpassed by the newcomer though but that's better than a punch in my face (also, really interested by this game).

confused

Banned
What is this :

STEAM said:
GAME CONTENT CONVERSION
Steam needs to convert the game content for "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction" to a new, more efficient format. This will require an internet connection and a few minutes' time.

It came up just now when starting SC Conviction.

Hey guys, I'm running a Mac desktop and decided to take the plunge into Steam last night by downloading Left 4 Dead 2 via the halloween sale (only £5 is an absolute bargain). Finished downloading it last night and booted up to play the game during my lunch break at Uni to see how it would run. It was a bit choppy here and there so I decided to reboot my Mac to try and make it run smoother. However when I tried to open Steam again it said that it couldn't connect to the network (even though I'm connected and writing this post haha). I searched around on Google for about an hour, trying every solution and decided to do a complete re-install of Steam, deleting every single Steam related file on my Mac (including my newly purchased L4D2) and made some small progress, but now I have an error message that reads - Unable to connect to the Steam network. "Offline Mode" is unavailable because there is no Steam login information stored on this computer. You will not be able to use Steam until you can..."

Just wondered if anyone has ever had a similar problem and if there are any ways around making it work. Bit pissed off that I bought the game and now wont even be able to play it :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would somebody mind helping me out with Dead Space 2 (GuiltybyAssociation/Semblance is AWOL)? It's $10 on the US store yet $35 on the Aussie store. In fact, the Dead Space Pack is roughly half the price of Dead Space 2 itself. Great job, EA.

Barrett2

Sorry for the dumb question. I am completely new to PC gaming. What exactly do I need to do to use a 360 and/or PS3 controller to play Steam games? Been Googling for 10 minutes, don't really seem to be able to find a clear-cut answer. Thanks!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
JaseC said:
Would somebody mind helping me out with Dead Space 2 (GuiltybyAssociation/Semblance is AWOL)? It's $10 on the US store yet $35 on the Aussie store. In fact, the Dead Space Pack is roughly half the price of Dead Space 2 itself. Great job, EA.

I'm up(-ish) now.

iNvid02

lawblob said:
Sorry for the dumb question. I am completely new to PC gaming. What exactly do I need to do to use a 360 and/or PS3 controller to play Steam games? Been Googling for 10 minutes, don't really seem to be able to find a clear-cut answer. Thanks!

well for one the game must be controller enabled, should say so in the right hand corner near the specs on the steam store page of the game.

360 pad is most supported so just use that, plug it in via usb and it should recognise it. if you have a wireless pad then you need to get a 360 wireless receiver for your pc.

for games that are not controller enabled you need a program like joy2key, xpadder or pinnacle game profiler to setup support. i'd go for the latter, its simple and has a lot of presets.

Barrett2

iNvidious01 said:
well for one the game must be controller enabled, should say so in the right hand corner near the specs on the steam store page of the game.

360 pad is most supported so just use that, plug it in via usb and it should recognise it. if you have a wireless pad then you need to get a 360 wireless receiver for your pc.

for games that are not controller enabled you need a program like joy2key, xpadder or pinnacle game profiler to setup support. i'd go for the latter, its simple and has a lot of presets.

Cool, thanks.

MRORANGE

Scythian Empire said:
Hey guys, I'm running a Mac desktop and decided to take the plunge into Steam last night by downloading Left 4 Dead 2 via the halloween sale (only £5 is an absolute bargain). Finished downloading it last night and booted up to play the game during my lunch break at Uni to see how it would run. It was a bit choppy here and there so I decided to reboot my Mac to try and make it run smoother. However when I tried to open Steam again it said that it couldn't connect to the network (even though I'm connected and writing this post haha). I searched around on Google for about an hour, trying every solution and decided to do a complete re-install of Steam, deleting every single Steam related file on my Mac (including my newly purchased L4D2) and made some small progress, but now I have an error message that reads - Unable to connect to the Steam network. "Offline Mode" is unavailable because there is no Steam login information stored on this computer. You will not be able to use Steam until you can..."

Just wondered if anyone has ever had a similar problem and if there are any ways around making it work. Bit pissed off that I bought the game and now wont even be able to play it :(

do not use offline mode, just go online and login in with your details. (Steam has forgotten your login details, that is why it cannot connect) also note Online campaign cannot be played in offline mode.

If the game feels choppy on your mac try checking the settings in the game and turn the options down.

EDIT: the problem might also be your Uni's internet, some uni's restrict programs/ports from running on there campus.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
confused said:
What is this :

62k14.png

Hinomura

lawblob said:
You can use a PS3 controller too, but it's better to disguise it as a 360 controller using MotionJoy:

Do this once:
- Download / install MotionJoy (32bit windows, 64bit windows, MotionJoy homepage)
- Launch it (following steps are inside MotionJoy program)
- Go to Driver Management tab
- Plug in PS3 controller via USB
- Check the device in the following list
- Click Load
- Go to Profiles tab
- Select PS3 controller
- Select Xbox 360 Controller Emulator
- Select your Language from Language drop menu
- Go to Options tab
- Click Save Changes

Optionally do this once too (recommended):
- Go to Options tab
- Check:
Autor run
Auto check update information
Placing it in system tray when click close button

MotionJoy is now ready. Disguise your controller now!
- In MotionJoy go to Profiles
- Click Enable

Once it's running and it's enabled you have not to care anymore, but if you quit MotionJoy, or reboot Windows, you have to launch it and enable the emulation again.

Gvaz

Banned
4l3dp.png

Hahaha, well at least the penumbra devs are happy (not my image)

Hinomura said:
You can use a PS3 controller too, but it's better to disguise it as a 360 controller using MotionJoy:

Or you can just download like XCBD or the microsoft drivers for the 360 controller and plug the controller in and you're done.

Barrett2

Interesting. Got Borderlands installed and running on my MacBook Pro via Bootcamp, and the PS3 controller working.

Controller worked well, game didn't look very good. Surprised at how good the Source games look, though. Portal 2 and L4D2 all look good and run well.

MRORANGE said:
do not use offline mode, just go online and login in with your details. (Steam has forgotten your login details, that is why it cannot connect) also note Online campaign cannot be played in offline mode.

If the game feels choppy on your mac try checking the settings in the game and turn the options down.

EDIT: the problem might also be your Uni's internet, some uni's restrict programs/ports from running on there campus.

But I'm not even trying to run offline mode.... Steam just says that it can't connect to the network even though my internet is up and running. Not sure if it's the Uni thing because I've opened Steam a couple of times since I've been here and never had this problem. I can't even get to the log in screen to put in my details.

Sad face.

Blizzard

Banned
Scythian Empire said:
But I'm not even trying to run offline mode.... Steam just says that it can't connect to the network even though my internet is up and running. Not sure if it's the Uni thing because I've opened Steam a couple of times since I've been here and never had this problem. I can't even get to the log in screen to put in my details.

Sad face.
It's probably some sort of network/router/filtering thing. I'm assuming you haven't changed routers since Steam used to work?

Derrick01

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
If you have friends, brothers, roomates, it's a fucking blast

It was still pretty boring. It was like playing a MMO with only a couple other people playing and they're all on your team. Borderlands 2 really needs to work on the quest structure.

Still pretty new to pc gaming and was wondering what do i put for these options? If i want the highest and best what do i put for anti aliasing? Also there is something called trilinear and antitrospic? what i the best option?

Syphon Filter said:
Still pretty new to pc gaming and was wondering what do i put for these options? If i want the highest and best what do i put for anti aliasing? Also there is something called trilinear and antitrospic? what i the best option?
It all depends on what your computer can handle, to get the highest though just set anti aliasing to the highest number that's available and set the texture filtering to antitrospic.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So I'm from Brazil and I just noticed this:

rkRIZ.png

It's cheaper here, releases later and it also shows the Brazillian content rating graphic as opposed to the ESRB one.

You can see it here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/110800/?cc=br

Funny, a specific case where Region Pricing was actually good for South America... Too bad I don't give a shit about LA Noire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom