• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Amneisac said:
Have you tried disabling v-sync?
Disabled in game but active in d3doverrider. Though, that was just a control issue. The nausea-causing issue is that it's soooo close-quarters with a lot of camera swinging.

Euphor!a

Banned
Smash88 said:
What?

SvGVX.jpg

XOpcV.jpg

Annoying as hell...

Does Dead Space 2 make a notable improvement on the first? I found it to be pretty repetitive in the latter half and the scares were borderline insulting in their lack of subtlety throughout.

Smash88

Banned
plc268 said:
Holy crap, how few games do you have that you can go from A-D in one image?!

Cropped. :D

I only ever have a few games installed, I uninstall it once I finish up with them. I have a 1TB Hard drive, but I see no point in having 200 games installed all at once, if you aren't going to be playing them.

I'm a minimalist. :p

Nelo Ice

Banned
Smash88 said:

I only ever have a few games installed, I uninstall it once I finish up with them. I have a 1TB Hard drive, but I see no point in having 200 games installed all at once, if you aren't going to be playing them.

I have a 1TB and installed nearly everything I could since I'm still enjoying having a gaming computer again lol. Of course with hard drive prices skyrocketing I've been clearing space since I wont be able to pick up a cheap HDD on Black Friday anymore.

Derrick01 said:
Nope. I bought dawn of war 2 retribution and shogun 2 from them and both times I got the CD key within a couple minutes and was able to activate them both on Steam with no problem.

Servers are probably busy or down though. Likely not a huge deal, and if it becomes one their usually fantastic customer support will take care of you.

Thanks. Everything sorted itself out after an hour and got my key.

Derrick01

Banned
Costume Quest seems like a decent little game but holy shit the PC port is so poorly optimized. 30 fps most of the times and every now and then it will fluctuate to 40 or 50 and then drop a few randomly, and then eventually go back to 30. I actually wish it would stay at 30 because at least the game's stable and not stuttering at that.

Blizzard

Banned
Dice said:
Disabled in game but active in d3doverrider. Though, that was just a control issue. The nausea-causing issue is that it's soooo close-quarters with a lot of camera swinging.
Are the Dead Space games some of the ones known for very low FOV? That could also be part of it.

*edit* Man, the inMomentum install, including .NET stuff, feels like it's taken several minutes so far.

*edit* And it ran the .NET install AGAIN when I quit and relaunched it. Another 5 minutes of solid hard disk grinding, and hoping it's not contributing to near future disk failure. D:

*edit* The third time running it didn't install, phew. The game warns me that it may give me a seizure though. If you don't hear from me again you know what happened.

oipic

Guys, I'm a long-time lurker (largely through a lack of anything interesting to add, I think), but I just wanted to say it's a joy to see the community and spirit of 'giving' and mateship in here. A friendly pat on the back to all.

(your infectious collective enthusiasm often hurts my wallet, though!)

Costume Quest made it into the top 10 best sellers. Well deserved! I put about 3 hours into it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Can't wait to play some more.

Smash88 said:

He's probably talking about this:

GEtXL.png

Icon shows up like that on the achievements page and other areas. In my main games library, the icon is there.

plc268

Smash88 said:

Good, because no sane Steam user would have less than 100 games in their library. :D

Dice

It doesn't really need AA, though. Something about the cell shading tricks my eyes.

Just about to enter the black gate, so far the best part was
"Rawr! You look just like my parents... from whom I am BITTERLY ESTRANGED!"
which I totally imagined as sounding like a mix of Strong Bad and Triump the Insult Comic Dog.

Flunkie

Banned
I can't start Costume Quest tonight, and that's probably going to kill the mood for me. :( I fucking hate not having time for many games anymore.

Sober

Derrick01 said:
Costume Quest seems like a decent little game but holy shit the PC port is so poorly optimized. 30 fps most of the times and every now and then it will fluctuate to 40 or 50 and then drop a few randomly, and then eventually go back to 30. I actually wish it would stay at 30 because at least the game's stable and not stuttering at that.
Did you try forcing vsync and triple buffering? Afterwards I didn't really notice any sudden framerate fluctuations. The game would occasionally hitch for a second or two that was about it.

Couldn't seem to force AA with an ATI card though, just get that weird screwed up transparency effect, but most of the cel-shading techniques and the mostly dark environments hid it pretty well anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a bunch of inMomentum notes written down, but I need to format them and clean them up, and I don't want to make an OT just to post a semi-review. Does anyone have an objection to me posting a giant "thoughts" post in here (in addition to this post)?

Here is a very short version:

NEGATIVE: It has bugs, it occasionally has obnoxious graphics choices, and in some ways it seems like a UDK/UT3 mod.

POSITIVE: It has some pretty awesome music if you like electronic stuff, and once you get past the tutorial and start flying around these big abstract levels hunting spheres, it can actually feel quite awesome.

I have never played Crackdown but I assume it's like Crackdown hunting orbs. I only tried singleplayer. Get it if you really like the style of Mirror's Edge pure time trial maps, you like the idea of hunting spheres and going through time trial maps, and (most importantly) you don't mind the idea of everything being semi-flying floaty moon jumps. They may be FAST moon jumps, and fun, and trust me it's good that they're floaty, but there is no human body and imitation of parkour motion here, unlike Mirror's Edge. Apparently harder difficulty settings may tone down the floatiness and/or speed boosts from certain moves.

Note that it comes with a PDF manual that you may want to glance over to get details on the controls and game.

It's like $10 and it's not a long game, but I suspect the multiplayer can be fun and the sphere hunting and time trials will probably take at least an hour or two (or 4+ if you're slow like me) to wrap up to your own satisfaction.

*edit* One final note, it LOOKS like if the proper UE3/UDK files were copied then the editor might work, ala Mirror's Edge. I don't have time tonight to experiment further with it, but it does give an package error message about a file or files not being found when you launch the editor. In addition I think the EULA mentioned the possibility of a level editor, so I don't know what the future plans are for the game.

Dice

Is it Robo-Crash and the Mirror's Edge of the Ninja: Racing? Because that's what it looks like.

svegis

Blizzard said:
Does anyone have an objection to me posting a giant "thoughts" post in here (in addition to this post)?

I certainly don't mind, I appreciate any "thoughts" on any game, be it good or bad, in this thread. It's a good place to do mini-reviews for games on Steam, in my opinion. Even though it'd be even better if they were saved up some place, too.

Damn, I finally bought Penumbra: Black Plague but the game won't appear on my library... I got the Paypal mail and apparently everything was OK, but it's nowhere to be found and it's store page doesn't say that I already own it as it should.

Steam Support, here I come... :(

EDIT: Yay, it finally appeared! I tried to buy the game again and there was a warning saying that it seemed that I already owned the game. Anyways, I was still not sure if I was going to buy Amnesia too, but after this I'm a little afraid that something may happen (also, it's not like I not have a way too big backlog :lol)

Bought Costume Quest. Don't like Tim Schafer. Find Psychonauts tedious. Have no possible reason. PC isn't even working at the moment. Why, Steam.

Bought Costume Quest.
It's amazing to think that i made my steam account about a year ago and now i have 189 games according to steam. I guess it counts DLC/expansions and the mac versions of Civ4 as seperate games?

svegis

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
I guess it counts DLC/expansions and the mac versions of Civ4 as seperate games?

DLC's are counted as seperate, I guess the same goes for Civ 4. I had a similiar experience after summer sale, when it jumped quite a bit thanks to claiming DLC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
svegis said:
Even though it'd be even better if they were saved up some place, too.

Easiest way is to bookmark the last review you've posted, and every time you post a new review, link your last one and bookmark the new one.

Spwn

It's working now, but sometimes the friends list does lose connection and has to reconnect. I don't recall it being this frequent until recently.

svegis

Stumpokapow said:
Easiest way is to bookmark the last review you've posted, and every time you post a new review, link your last one and bookmark the new one.

That is a terrific idea, I've personally only used recommendations in Steam so far but if I start to post mine here I'll put that on my checklist. Thanks!

edit: Removed grumpy sounding sentence.

Dynoro

I tried this question in one of the SR3 threads but here may be a better place to get an answer:

I want to buy the PC version of SR3 but as I'm in the UK I cannot buy it through Steam (only through places like GAME or Amazon) then I can enter the key in Steam to play the game. However the game is coming with lots of DLC over the coming months which I would like to get but if the game is not available on Steam in the UK will the DLC be available?

I imagine a similar fate will await any Space Marine DLC for the same reason

Twinduct

Dynoro said:
I tried this question in one of the SR3 threads but here may be a better place to get an answer:

I want to buy the PC version of SR3 but as I'm in the UK I cannot buy it through Steam (only through places like GAME or Amazon) then I can enter the key in Steam to play the game. However the game is coming with lots of DLC over the coming months which I would like to get but if the game is not available on Steam in the UK will the DLC be available?

I imagine a similar fate will await any Space Marine DLC for the same reason

Hmm .. isn't it just up one month after release? I mean the retailer's ban.

Edit: Having said that seems RSA ain't being lumped together with UK releases anymore. Space marine was taken down prior to release (Pre-ordered before they did). but Saint's Row is still up .. yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom