• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQX

Anyone interested in a Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines? Bought it on Steam as courtesy for someone who then then turned around and did not want it. If you have any game to trade please PM as I may be interested.

nexen

Stallion Free said:
The game is thoroughly mediocre from the gameplay perspective and the art isn't outstanding enough to warrant suffering through 10+ hours of the mechanics.
I felt almost exactly the same. Very pretty but very dull. I felt the combat was a bit above average but it was so repetitive that it wore out its welcome. If they had reduced the padding and managed to craft some compelling characters, narrative, or plot then it could have catapulted the game into greatness.

DSmalls84

Anyone else have problems with getting Costume Quest to work with a 360 pad? I have the wireless adaptor and the game doesnt respond at all to control input from the 360 pad.

Relax.MX

Stallion Free said:
Just wrapped up Alice: Madness Returns, some thoughts:

What I liked:
  • When the art works, it works fantastically. And it does work most of the time. There is a good amount of variety between the different areas of Wonderland and each style looks really lovely. The juxtaposition between Wonderland and the "real" world works well too.
  • There are some pretty neat platforming bits combined with light puzzle elements.
  • The weapons are satisfying to use and upgrading them looks cool.
  • There are some really great pieces of music.

What I disliked:
  • The game is like the perfect example of padding. It gets really awful in some chapters where it just feels like environments go on forever. Certain types of puzzles get repeated to the point where you just start rolling your eyes and while the art is generally pretty great, it gets spread way too thin. The game really should have been about half the length with the ideas they had.
  • Ridiculously uneven texturing. It's weird going from decent texture work to downright appalling textures with a simple camera pan.
  • The story is incredibly simple yet it's dragged out over the course of 10-12 hours. I also didn't give a shit about Alice or the kids.
  • The combat camera can get awful at times and the camera while platforming sometimes is grabbed from your control screwing things up.
  • A lot of the collectibles feel really meaningless while others have meaningful story bits (which is the right way to do it).

I felt a bit lead on after playing the game, having read some really glowing reactions to it. The game is thoroughly mediocre from the gameplay perspective and the art isn't outstanding enough to warrant suffering through 10+ hours of the mechanics. IMO.

Here are a couple neat screens though:

Thanks for this..!!

SmokyDave

DSmalls84 said:
Anyone else have problems with getting Costume Quest to work with a 360 pad? I have the wireless adaptor and the game doesnt respond at all to control input from the 360 pad.
Works fine for me (also wireless 360). Is your mouse stable? I noticed that the pad inputs get overridden if your mouse moves in the menus, dunno about in game.

epmode

warbegins said:
Evil Genius is in the same vein as Dungeon Keeper correct? shamefully i have never played any of them and would like to rectify that.
You'd probably be better off playing Dungeon Keeper 2 from GOG since I don't believe that it has ever been bettered.
Archie said:
SOLD. Been wanting to play these for a long time now but those prices turned me off.

DSmalls84

Yeah it sits on a flat surface but I was using it in the menus when I started the game. Will try it again tonight without using the mouse.

Echoplx

I can't justify buying those games right after CQ/Bastion especially now that we're almost at winter sale time. They'll probably get a bigger discount then anyway.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The daily deal is Toki Tori for $1.70.

You are dumber than dumb to pass on this game.

plc268

morningbus said:
The daily deal is Toki Tori for $1.70.

You are dumber than dumb to pass on this game.

Meh. Even though I have the game, if I knew what I know now, I'd pass on it, even for $1.70. It's just not fun, at all... and I love puzzle games.

Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Heard it was good. Checked the video. Bought! Reminds me of a puzzle-version of New Zealand Story, graphics wise.

Spl1nter

plc268 said:
Meh. Even though I have the game, if I knew what I know now, I'd pass on it, even for $1.70. It's just not fun, at all... and I love puzzle games.

Nabs is coming for you.

Chesskid1

Banned
toki tori is that good huh? never heard of it.

edit:

plc268 said:

oh, will pass. it will end up in some indie bundle anyways and i'm not really interested in the first place.

edit2: didn't like demo.

edit3: haha thanks mrorange. guess he didn't see edit2. will try it again. :p

edit4: actually toki tori is pretty fun. the demo just drops you in with weird powers and it's kinda confusing. full game is much better, starts you off very basically.

Mrbob

Lol, so one person didn't like it and you pass on the game? Must not buy many games then. :p

I found it a very charming puzzle game. Catchy music too. Now the theme song is in my head thinking about it.

Sanjay

morningbus said:
Sorry for the delay, I stepped away from the computer. I PM'd you the code.

Enjoy!

Darn. Wish I got it instead, I was looking forward to selling/trading the free game here.

morningbus

plc268 said:

So basically wrong opinions.

That's fine. You're entitled to a wrong opinion.

plc268

Chesskid1 said:
oh, will pass. it will end up in some indie bundle anyways and i'm not really interested in the first place.

Well, don't let my opinion of the game sway you. There is a demo to check out.

morningbus said:
So basically wrong opinions.

That's fine. You're entitled to a wrong opinion.

That's nice.

svegis

Uriah said:
My Steam categories keep getting deleted whenever I switch computers. Any advice?

Hopefully someone can corroborate or tell me that I'm wrong, but as far as I know categories are saved on your pc? So if you switch computers, it might reset because it cannot sync up with what it had before. I can't test to verify, myself.

krzy123

svegis said:
Hopefully someone can corroborate or tell me that I'm wrong, but as far as I know categories are saved on your pc? So if you switch computers, it might reset because it cannot sync up with what it had before. I can't test to verify, myself.

i believe this is true, from some googling its seems to be called sharedconfig.vdf

krzy123

Syphon Filter said:
Categories are attached to your account.no matter the pc it will still be there.

this must of been just added (or buggy) because when i moved my install a couple of months ago i had to redo them.

Chesskid1

Banned
i dunno if it was my computer being screwy but costume quest is showing icons for me now (such as when it's on most played in a steam profile or in the games list). nice :)

morningbus

plc268 said:
Well, don't let my opinion of the game sway you. There is a demo to check out.

That's nice.

If it makes you feel any better, I use the same argument against non-aggressive racists.

So, basically, Toki Tori haters = Racists.

Just sayin'.

Popstar

Uriah said:
My Steam categories keep getting deleted whenever I switch computers. Any advice?
This happened to me with the Nov 1 steam update.

Previously it was fine and switching computers didn't cause any problems for me.

Nabs

Damn son, they are giving Toki Tori away again. Who doesn't own it already?
No, I'm not gifting it to anyone. You don't deserve it.

Looks like Hard Reset got a nice update today. Added survival mode, Nvidia 3d support, and triple display support. I think it's time for a weekend deal.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
morningbus said:
If it makes you feel any better, I use the same argument against non-aggressive racists.

So, basically, Toki Tori haters = Racists.

Just sayin'.

See, here's my problem. I almost bought it, but not because I have any interest in playing it, but because it was only $1.75. This is how our backlogs get so big. I think I'm gonna stand up against Gabe and my Steam addiction and pass.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
choaffable said:
I use SteamTool to store games I'm not playing onto a different external HD. The added benefit is that you can still play your stored games off the HD through Steam.

Though...I don't know, I think the latest steam update has borked my SteamTool. Anybody else using SteamTool having problems? It's telling me that my Steam folder now has broken links, but I don't know how to correct those in Win 7.
Check that when you plug in your external drive its showing up as the same letter that it did when you first transferred your games.

Also, the Geneforge games are getting a thread. They deserve it

Uriah

Tried logging in and out. Didn't fix the disappearing categories. I'm getting tired of having to re-organizing my 100 plus games.

Twinduct

So .. is there anyone who might have the GTA complete bundle in their gift bag?
I was extremely poor during the sale a few weeks ago, but really want to get my hands on it!
Please PM to sort something out =)

Edit: Oh snap, nevermind, see it's still on steam .. but for 49 bones .. oh well
Edit 2: And bought.

R1CHO

AcridMeat said:
Costume Quest is a great way to feel nostalgic for childhood. Really happy it came to PC and can't wait for Trenched.

Dont hold your breath for trenched, sadly its a different situation... Micro$oft...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom