• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
someguyinahat said:
While it would be cool, I thought the point of the Nancy Drew game series was to draw in the elusive girl market because they don't normally choose video games for entertainment. Boys naturally go for games, and don't need the extra added incentive of characters in books (that let's face it, they don't read anyway. And I've worked in enough school libraries to know.) As much as you won't like it, if someone making a game wanted a protagonist from a book boys read, they'd need to do Captain Underpants.
Though you're probably correct in general, I grew up constantly reading, and I probably read like 80 Hardy Boys books from the public library. I don't even know you kids these days with your Captain Underpants.

*edit* I think that particular game was from "Her Interactive" so you're almost certainly correct about the market goal in this case.

Dice said:
When you're done planning everything out, how do you play the level? You remember everything. Now do that in your planning phase.
Maybe saying it was "impossible" was an exaggeration on my part, but it's still significantly more convenient to plan your entire route when you can pause the game and look at the entire level. Plus, since you can't even pause your game here, I can't even imagine how they expect people to figure out some of the levels (like the last Forest challenge level from the Wiiware version) which force the player to interact with enemies before they reach a certain point of the level.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Do GMG referral links still go on? I don't have an account there and I just realized that Renegade Ops on sale for $12.65 -10% voucher $1.26 -$5 link = $6.39. I might want to go for that...

I need to remember to keep $10 always in case the Empire/Napoleon pack goes on sale again somewhere.

Anyone want a copy of Gemini Rue?

I got it from that Indie Pack thingie and watched the Giant Bomb quick look...

Its not my type of game so thought I'd give it away

1st PM gets it!

Congrats to Derrick01

Echoplx

Kinda want the Bastion soundtrack but 5$ is a bit pricey.. Well not really but this is Steam, dudes.

Is it worth it? I mean I enjoyed it while playing but is it something that can be listened to outside of the context of the game?

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
Anyone else feel they went a little overboard on the Halloween sale? I'm nearing the point where I have purchased nearly all the games I had prior interest in. I fear the Christmas sale will be filled of purchases because they are 5 bucks or less.

3chopl0x said:
Kinda want the Bastion soundtrack but 5$ is a bit pricey.. Well not really but this is Steam, dudes.

Is it worth it? I mean I enjoyed it while playing but is it something that can be listened to outside of the context of the game?
I grabbed it from my IGN prime membership. I have already listend to it 3 times through. I would say it is very worth it. If you have the ign prime membership its still available.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
LyarVonLyar said:
Anyone else feel they went a little overboard on the Halloween sale? I'm nearing the point where I have purchased nearly all the games I had prior interest in. I fear the Christmas sale will be filled of purchases because they are 5 bucks or less.

Yes, very overboard.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Dice said:
Do GMG referral links still go on? I don't have an account there and I just realized that Renegade Ops on sale for $12.65 -10% voucher $1.26 -$5 link = $6.39. I might want to go for that...

I need to remember to keep $10 always in case the Empire/Napoleon pack goes on sale again somewhere.
They do, but I think it's 2 bucks now and not 5. Regardless I sent you a PM.

karlhungis

Neo Member
So, I have some money in my Amazon account and I am interested in getting skyrim. Do you guys think I should buy a physical copy from Amazon or just save up and get it on Steam?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
karlhungis said:
So, I have some money in my Amazon account and I am interested in getting skyrim. Do you guys think I should buy a physical copy from Amazon or just save up and get it on Steam?

Go with Amazon. You have money in your account, so it'll be cheaper, and release date shipping is only 99cents (if you're in the US, at least). It's Steamworks, so you'll own it on Steam even if you buy retail.

MRORANGE

karlhungis said:

Amazon if you can, I don't think there giving out any more tf2 items with skyrim on steam.

MNC

Man, so conflicted. I want to know how well the game runs on my laptop, but I also just want to buy it since it's 31% off on GMG + there's a discount code + I can use some of my credit. But if it runs like shit I'd feel a bit wasted.... But there's hardly any indication that it WILL run like shit.

edit: Sonic Generations

NaM

I'll be too pretentious if I ask to get a preload for Sonic Generations? I mean, I'll be more than happy if SEGA doesn't miss the release date and the port doesn't suck but a preload will be more than welcome. Hopefully my key will arrive in less than an hour.

MNC

NaM said:
I'll be too pretentious if I ask to get a preload for Sonic Generations? I mean, I'll be more than happy if SEGA doesn't miss the release date and the port doesn't suck but a preload will be more than welcome. Hopefully my key will arrive in less than an hour.
There is a preload.

Dice

Dice said:
Oh shit, this is this week on gamersgate! But WTF LOL@Shogun 2 is apparently $90 list price? Uhhh, don't think so...

MNC said:
Man, so conflicted. I want to know how well the game runs on my laptop, but I also just want to buy it since it's 31% off on GMG + there's a discount code + I can use some of my credit. But if it runs like shit I'd feel a bit wasted.... But there's hardly any indication that it WILL run like shit.
What game?

MNC

Dice said:
Oh shit, this is this week on gamersgate! But WTF LOL@Shogun 2 is apparently $90 list price? Uhhh, don't think so...

What game?
Sonic Generations. Bit stupid of me not to mention the game at all in the post :p

NaM

MNC said:
Sonic Generations. Bit stupid of me not to mention the game at all in the post :p
I think the only thing that can be a problem is the port quality, everything else will be ACE.
disclaimer: I'm a SEGA fan.

MRORANGE

Sonic Generation is getting a demo on PC (think it was listed on the registry), but it will probably be after the game launch, so the GMG might have expired by then.

Dice

MNC said:
Oh, it's not on sale in my region, unless you're talking about some site I don't know.

MNC

Dice said:
Oh, it's not on sale in my region, unless you're talking about some site I don't know.

bYvuh.png

I can bring it down to a total of 12 euros if I put in all my credit, basically.

Dice

Sonic Generations is my most-wanted game, but I can't be getting much these days. Empire/Napoleon should be all (and it is a LOT of gameplay) until Christmas unless Renegade Ops, Alice, or Clash of Heroes pops up around $5-7.50 soon (doubtful)

Scythian

ibwYTLCpetSKBM.jpg

Finished Scratches: Director's Cut along with "The Last Visit", so I'm posting my impressions:

It's a mystery horror adventure game done by a Indie Argentinian developing team Nucleosys.
It tells the story of a writer, Michael Arthate, who traveled to a Victorian house in order to try and finish its book; but the house has a rather infamous story, a murder took place there, and, as Michael realizes, it's much more than what it seems, and it ends up catching Michael's interest almost in an obsessive way.

ibbdpSWNmkme93.jpg
ibfMORrg0mihnS.jpg
ibbdQv7ujb0ISV.jpg

The game's short, it took me around 5-6 hours to finish it, but as we reach the ending, it starts feeling like a drag, and the ending was dissapointing.
It has its share of scares, not really "jump from your seat" scares, but spine-chilling moments and a tense atmosphere.
The design of the house is really good; it's pretty big, but as soon as you have visited every room, you won't get lost at all.

"The Last Visit" is kind of a very brief "expansion" exclusive to the Director's Cut that tries to tie up some loose ends in the story. It lasts about 10 minutes.

Pros:
-Beautiful Music
-Good interior design
-Tense atmosphere
-Good voice acting
-Nice pacing

Cons:
-Some puzzles are not very obvious
-Some loose ends even after playing through "The Last Visit"
-Lazy final third of the game
-Dissapointing ending

In conclusion, Scratches is a nice little game with a great atmosphere; If you love adventure games and horror games, you'll love this one.

MNC

Drkirby said:
Got me a Dota 2 Key:
ihaskey.png
YOU BITCH

I have more than enough games to play and I suck at DOTA/MOBA games. Enjoy!

ERRR I MEAN YOU HAVE TWO EXTRA KEYS LOL HOW ARE YOU HANDSOME FELLA.

Give it to two deserving people.

Echoplx

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I grabbed it from my IGN prime membership. I have already listend to it 3 times through. I would say it is very worth it. If you have the ign prime membership its still available.

I missed out on the free trial membership because their paypal payments were bugged :(

MNC

I broke down and bought Sonic.

I entered my key in steam and it said the servers were too busy.

Now I try it again and it says I already own the game, but it's not on my list. HALP HALP

Dice

If anyone plays Sanctum and doesn't have them, I have Aftermath & Violator keys.

MNC said:
Now I try it again and it says I already own the game, but it's not on my list. HALP HALP
Check the uninstalled games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom