• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gez said:
They are not dropping, they are going up even for titles that are years old. If the shoe was on the other foot you would be crying foul aswell.
If the shoe was on the other foot I wouldn't be calling for people to lose their jobs.

DiscoJer

Gez said:
Yeah i'm sorry for sounding like an arse. But it bloody makes me angry especially when our dollar has being worth more for over 2 years now. It also cheeses me off when the same righteous people bitch about a 10 dollar increase on Skyrim or Battlefield but don't even blink an eye when games like Batman AC are 100bucks here (more expensive than retail)

Also what the fuck is the point of raising the price to 'appease retail' of games that are not even sold at retail like Bloody Good Time or DLC? That game is dead online as it is, WHY EVEN RAISE IT?

I don't disagree with you at being upset at high prices, but at the same time I think the internet has given the world the illusion that the economy is global, when it's really not. Countries still have vastly different laws, regulations, currencies, taxes, etc, etc, etc.

What you should be doing is try to get your government to spend money/give taxes breaks aimed at building up Canadian software publishers (as opposed to simply developers, and in particularly, bad ones like SK).

A big reason companies do this is because they can - what are you going to do, buy locally published games? In the regions where the answer is yes (Like say Russia) the result is cheaper games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MRORANGE said:
what is going on here?! is that regional prices for steam or something?

Australia, fuck yeah. I should have pre-ordered AC: Revelations while it was $50. Oh well.

Card Boy

Banned
JaseC said:
Australia, fuck yeah. I should have pre-ordered AC: Revelations while it was $50. Oh well.

I got a feeling me a wilflare are going to be best friends with all the rampant region pricing happening.

Flunkie

Banned
Nelo Ice said:
Speaking of Rock of Ages they patched it so the controller works in menus now.
Excellent. My very first time playing it I hooked it up to my TV (VGA + audio out = DIY Big Screen Mode) and I got to the main menu after just sitting down and the controller didn't work. Had to get up after every level. I was really hoping it would get patched.

Scythian

Holy cow, I was playing Scratches when a spine-chilling moment came right at me:

At the end of the second day, in the nightmare when
I went to the African gallery room to investigate something, I entered the hidden room and noticed the mask was gone, then I opened the door and (Oh my god...) it was behind the door staring at me!
It caught me really off guard, and made me want to quit the damn game and go cry in a corner D:

I'm liking it so far, I'll try to finish it this week and write up some impressions.

Loam

Is it possible to have a 2nd installation of steam on an external drive? Ideally I would like to be able to plug in my backup HD and have everything auto update, but I'm afraid already having steam installed would screw things up. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Forkball

Costume Quest has a perma-price drop of $10. Must've bomba'd.

I was going to buy Binding of Isaac yesterday, but I decided to get the Deus EX DLC instead. I am a genius.

Askani

I've been fighting off the urge to buy Bastion...

It's been 9 hours...

Not sure my resolve will make it until noon tomorrow... :lol

legend166

DiscoJer said:
I don't disagree with you at being upset at high prices, but at the same time I think the internet has given the world the illusion that the economy is global, when it's really not. Countries still have vastly different laws, regulations, currencies, taxes, etc, etc, etc.

What you should be doing is try to get your government to spend money/give taxes breaks aimed at building up Canadian software publishers (as opposed to simply developers, and in particularly, bad ones like SK).

A big reason companies do this is because they can - what are you going to do, buy locally published games? In the regions where the answer is yes (Like say Russia) the result is cheaper games.

Firstly, he's not Canadian.

Secondly, laws, regulations, currencies, taxes, etc - have absolutely no bearing on the pricing of digital goods on the Australian Steam store.

It's solely greedy publishers desperately trying to cling to an outdated pricing model based on physical goods (and those things you mentioned that actually apply because of physical goods).

I'll just continue getting my games gifted by the friendly folks on GAF. Unfortunately other people don't have the convenience of posting on a gaming forum with thousands of Americans who can help us out.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just realized over half of my installed games are from indie developers. Wouldn't have expected that a few years ago.

Card Boy

Banned
I'll like to add

* whinging to the publishers does nothing
* whinging to the ACCC does nothing
* whinging to an MP does nothing
* whinging on the Steam forums does nothing
* whinging to Valve does nothing
* whinging to Gabe does nothing
* VPN/Proxy gets your account potentially locked
* self gifting between an 'American' fake account on a VPN/proxy gets you potentially locked aswell

I am bloody helpless and powerless here, my only option is get people like wilflare to help me out.

Narag

Askani said:
I've been fighting off the urge to buy Bastion...

It's been 9 hours...

Not sure my resolve will make it until noon tomorrow... :lol

Midweek madness. Tack another 24 hours onto the wait you're enduring.

legend166

Gez said:
I'll like to add

* whinging to the publishers does nothing
* whinging to the ACCC does nothing
* whinging to an MP does nothing
* whinging on the Steam forums does nothing
* whinging to Valve does nothing
* whinging to Gabe does nothing
* VPN/Proxy gets your account potentially locked
* self gifting between an 'American' fake account on a VPN/proxy gets you potentially locked aswell

I am bloody helpless and powerless here, my only option is get people like wilflare to help me out.

Have you actually whinged to the ACCC?

Cipherr

DOTA survey is ridiculous. I dont remember havng to say I played DOTA games before when I signed up for a shot at the beta. They assume you have played one in the signup. This will be my first, Im just going to play it when it releases. The survey was asking me shit like "Who is the hero you used most" so I just closed it. I didnt notice an option to say "Never played it".

Card Boy

Banned
legend166 said:
Have you actually whinged to the ACCC?

Someone from Whirlpool did (and the department of foreign affairs) and got nowhere. Why would the ACCC have power over Valve (a foreign company)?

dani_dc

Well with this Costume Hero price drop I know must play it before christmas so I don't get frustated with the inevitable ~2.5 euros sale this christmas.

Great price on Bastion, but I have no time to play it anytime soon so I'll hold off for the moment.

The Batman: AC price rise is really confusing. $100USD is like $120NZD, but you can get it at retail for about $90NZD. Is Steam happy about letting publishers push their customers away? You can get the console version cheaper FFS.

Whatever Steam, enjoy losing your customers.

Htown said:
Pretty sure it's not Valve's choice.

No it isn't. But they ultimately allow it, and it's pushing their customers away. I love Steam and use it when I can, but I can get so many games far cheaper, so I go elsewhere.

If I go buy Batman at retail, WB still gets the money and Steam gets nothing. It's like they don't even care.

Derrick01

Banned
I seem to be having a strange new problem where the games I try to play don't work after they've downloaded. I have to do that verify game cache thing and it usually downloads the missing piece that will make it work. I guess as long as that continues to solve the problem then it's not a huge deal but I've never had to do that before and it seems like an added hassle for no reason.

Like I just finished downloading Arkham Asylum and it kept crashing when my save loaded, but after I did that verify thing it downloaded a 150mb file.

Cipherr

lastplayed said:
No it isn't. But they ultimately allow it, and it's pushing their customers away. I love Steam and use it when I can, but I can get so many games far cheaper, so I go elsewhere.

If I go buy Batman at retail, WB still gets the money and Steam gets nothing. It's like they don't even care.

Valve from what I hear, have imposed enough as it is already on 3rd party studios that use Steam. They should keep their noses out of other companies business as much as they possibly can. Buy the retail version if you like, but dont go saying Valve should come up with, and start enforcing pricing rules for Steam, that would be a big step in a terrible direction.

If they want to raise the price and lose a shitload of digital sales, then let them.

Cipherr said:
Valve from what I hear, have imposed enough as it is already on 3rd party studios that use Steam. They should keep their noses out of other companies business as much as they possibly can. Buy the retail version if you like, but dont go saying Valve should come up with, and start enforcing pricing rules for Steam, that would be a big step in a terrible direction.

If they want to raise the price and lose a shitload of digital sales, then let them.

I'm not saying they should do anything. Just their lack of competitive spirit confuses me. I often buy games from other DD services, doesn't bother me much.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just wrapped up Alice: Madness Returns, some thoughts:

What I liked:
  • When the art works, it works fantastically. And it does work most of the time. There is a good amount of variety between the different areas of Wonderland and each style looks really lovely. The juxtaposition between Wonderland and the "real" world works well too.
  • There are some pretty neat platforming bits combined with light puzzle elements.
  • The weapons are satisfying to use and upgrading them looks cool.
  • There are some really great pieces of music.

What I disliked:
  • The game is like the perfect example of padding. It gets really awful in some chapters where it just feels like environments go on forever. Certain types of puzzles get repeated to the point where you just start rolling your eyes and while the art is generally pretty great, it gets spread way too thin. The game really should have been about half the length with the ideas they had.
  • Ridiculously uneven texturing. It's weird going from decent texture work to downright appalling textures with a simple camera pan.
  • The story is incredibly simple yet it's dragged out over the course of 10-12 hours. I also didn't give a shit about Alice or the kids.
  • The combat camera can get awful at times and the camera while platforming sometimes is grabbed from your control screwing things up.
  • A lot of the collectibles feel really meaningless while others have meaningful story bits (which is the right way to do it).

I felt a bit lead on after playing the game, having read some really glowing reactions to it. The game is thoroughly mediocre from the gameplay perspective and the art isn't outstanding enough to warrant suffering through 10+ hours of the mechanics. IMO.

Here are a couple neat screens though:

legend166

Cipherr said:

Actually, enforcing pricing parity across regions would be a big step in an amazing direction.

legend166 said:
Actually, enforcing pricing parity across regions would be a big step in an amazing direction.

Yeah, $120NZD is what $60US used to be, but that was eons ago. But do publishers lower the local price to reflect the current exchange rate? No, they just jack up the Steam price to an absurd level to keep up with retail, where it should be the other way around.

Askani

Narag said:
Midweek madness. Tack another 24 hours onto the wait you're enduring.

YsoKz.jpg

PaulLFC

"Tropico Trilogy" has been added to the registry, so look for a bundle of the first 3 games and Absolute Power soon.

The Just Cause 2 DLC has also been re-added recently for some reason - usually this means it'll be going on sale soon or is getting some sort of promotion/price change, although this isn't guaranteed.

Finally, if you're nearing the end of the main game and just can't get enough, then the Farming Simulator 2011 DLC Pack is here to answer your prayers.

I use SteamTool to store games I'm not playing onto a different external HD. The added benefit is that you can still play your stored games off the HD through Steam.

Though...I don't know, I think the latest steam update has borked my SteamTool. Anybody else using SteamTool having problems? It's telling me that my Steam folder now has broken links, but I don't know how to correct those in Win 7.

Truespeed

lastplayed said:

So after we bring down Valve for not standing up to their clients who should we go after next?

Ken

How are inMomentum and Sanctum? Have $20 in my Steam Wallet. I could either pick up inMomentum and Bastion or the Sanctum complete pack.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ken said:
How are inMomentum and Sanctum? Have $20 in my Steam Wallet. I could either pick up inMomentum and Bastion or the Sanctum complete pack.

How about this: I'll give you Sanctum for free. It's not the complete pack, but it is the base game and it is totally, 100% obligation free.

Ken

morningbus said:
How about this: I'll give you Sanctum for free. It's not the complete pack, but it is the base game and it is totally, 100% obligation free.

Oh, I wouldn't mind grabbing your copy. I'll PM you my Steam info.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ken said:
Oh, I wouldn't mind grabbing your copy. I'll PM you my Steam info.

Sorry for the delay, I stepped away from the computer. I PM'd you the code.

Enjoy!

svegis

warbegins said:
Evil Genius is in the same vein as Dungeon Keeper correct? shamefully i have never played any of them and would like to rectify that.

I'd say kind of, yes. Been a long time since DK, but top-down, minion control, sending said minions on missions and all, it's similar at the least. Worth the money if you're into the game, no doubt.

Blizzard

Banned
Ken said:
I like inMomentum, but I'm still waiting until I have like half an hour to rework my stream of consciousness two pages of thoughts on it into some semi-coherent review. It's kind of like low-gravity trickjumping without a body through abstract Mirror's Edge levels while listening to electronica. I liked the levels much better than the tutorial.

Also I seem to recall that the Alice thread title said to ignore reviewers, so I'll just ignore Stallion's negatives and buy the game anyway! (just kidding, I already bought the game even though I'm disappointed in whatever DRM + EA account + phone home stuff it has)

Chesskid1

Banned
HKAP6.png

oh yeahh, my first 100% :) to be fair the achievements were really easy though and basically if you beat it = 100%. great game! took me 6-7 hrs. there was a stacking advertisement in it leftover from XBLA, heh. really hoping for a sequel or at least more charming light-hearted games with great humor that are very relaxing to play.

time to try out isaac i suppose.

Tomodachi

Not strictly Steam-related (but who knows, it may come out on valve's platform in the future, I sure hope so) but have you heard about Cognition? It's Phoenix Online's new game (they already did The Silver Lining, inspired by King's Quest, looks great but unfortunately I still haven't played it, it's free tho!) and featuring Jane Jensen as story writer (Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter, I know there's a few fan of hers in this thread). Game is still in development and they started a fund raising on kickstarter. I already bought my copy for 20$, just wanted to spread the word since it's a game I'd really like to see actually published. Someone with better writing skills than mine (as usual I apologize for my crappy English but I'm Italian) should open an official thread about it.

crime_scene.jpg

Official site and kickstarter page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom