• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hope they sell a map pack, I'll pay $5 for all 4/5 maps.

The towers should really just be one piece of DLC though. Or flat out free.

Turfster

K.Jack said:
So I transferred Deus Ex: HR over from a storage HDD to the Steam folder on my SSD, but I can't get Steam to recognize the game.

Any ideas? It would really annoy me to redownload all 8GB of data, when I'm already staring at them in the proper folder.
If nothing else works, you can always:
- rename that dir to something else for a second
- start the download, pause it and quit steam
- copy the files from that dir into the new one
- restart steam

It should skip all the files that are okay now and just get whatever was missing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Can someone explain to me where Intkeys steals their keys from? How on earth can they afford to sell games like dead island, deus ex and rage for around $20?

Tomodachi

Corky said:
Can someone explain to me where Intkeys steals their keys from? How on earth can they afford to sell games like dead island, deus ex and rage for around $20?
Games are ridiculously cheap in Russia.

Leonsito

Corky said:

I bought the PC version from Zavvi for 18€.

Blizzard

Banned
It would be kind of funny if the reason the Russian market had turned around and sold so well for Valve was primarily because of people in Russia reselling keys to other countries.

Gvaz

Banned
Hawkian said:
Seriously! What exactly is a Steam subscription?

I thought I owned these games. I'm not paying a monthly fee here...
You don't own any digital game, additionally steam is a subscription based service where you don't have to pay a monthly fee to utilize.

Derrick01

Banned
Stupacabra said:
Oh man, my graphics card has burnt out, just as I got my Generations and Batman keys. Worst timing ever.

I kind of know that feel bro. Mine is on its last legs, I've been fighting off crashes and in a lot of games I can easily see I'm not getting the same stable framerates I've had. GTA 4 yesterday had a little but constant stutter going on in the world that was really noticeable as I drove around. I'm trying to hold off returning it as long as I can so I can play Skyrim.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
angular graphics said:
Have you been to Russia?

No but I've heard the games are ridiculously cheap in Russia

Tomodachi said:
Games are ridiculously cheap in Russia.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Racist, reported.

Come at me kardash

Rufus said:
Russian keys. Publishers read their economics 101 again and found out you can't demand the same price everywhere (many Russians pirate games like crazy, guess what is/was one of the reasons). Check out this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437356

Gotcha thanks :)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
3chopl0x said:
Is the directory set up right?

steamapps\common\deus ex - human revolution

On and try copying over the NCF files as well

steamapps\deus ex - human revolution english.ncf
steamapps\deus ex content.ncf
My man.

I had missed two files:

dx3_executable.ncf
dx3_main.ncf

I transferred those over then Steam ran a little update, and now the game is available.

Now I just need to find the save files....

Echoplx

Heh, didn't even notice those!

Your saves will either be on the Steam Cloud or can be manually found here

Steam\userdata\<id>\28050

Glad you got it sorted.

Blizzard said:
It would be kind of funny if the reason the Russian market had turned around and sold so well for Valve was primarily because of people in Russia reselling keys to other countries.

They've been saying this since 2009 or something when those sites selling Russian keys didn't exist/weren't popular.

Tomodachi

Well, piracy must be crazy over there since it's pretty developed here in Italy too but we still get some of the highest retail prices in the whole world.

Gvaz

Banned
Tomodachi said:
Well, piracy must be crazy over there since it's pretty developed here in Italy too but we still get some of the highest retail prices in the whole world.
Russia and China and other places in eastern mainland europe/asia have huge levels of piracy.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Gvaz said:
Russia and China and other places in eastern mainland europe/asia have huge levels of piracy.
Russia and China also exhibit a much higher level of professional piracy. So you can buy pirated games at the local market for very little money. Same for Brazil, for example. This ties in to organized crime syndicates and the like, at least when looking at the large-scale distribution of pirated games for money. Same goes for movies, music and all other media branches.
As for levels of consumer-downloads-game piracy, it's probably pretty evenly distributed globally with respect to the density of households having a computer and an internet connection.

amrod

U1qoV.png

Anyone else get this?

MRORANGE

best report it to steam forums, or deleting the whole folder of where the game is stored and re-downloading the game to see if still happens.

Xanathus

Joe Molotov said:
Probably should just ignore it, false positive.
This is a very bad idea, indie devs are notoriously slack in their QA and don't take enough precautions so it's quite possible that one of their executables was infected by a virus. On the other hand you'd think Steam would scan files for viruses before uploading them...

jediyoshi

About to bite the bullet on Bastion. Outside of maybe Skyrim, I'm done buying/preordering for the season. Feelsgood

Smash88 said:
It's not that, it's being a broke college student, every penny counts.
I don't know, I'm pretty sure that doesn't negate them being video games.
Xanathus said:
This is a very bad idea, indie devs are notoriously slack in their QA and don't take enough precautions so it's quite possible that one of their executables was infected by a virus. On the other hand you'd think Steam would scan files for viruses before uploading them...
On the other hand, false positives are just that, false. The only thing QA should get the stick for in that case is not running it through an AV.

Forkball

Shogun 2 is $15 at Gamersgate, pretty sure it's Steamworks. I love Japanese history and empire building games but I am so terribad at RTS games.

Forkball said:
Shogun 2 is $15 at Gamersgate, pretty sure it's Steamworks. I love Japanese history and empire building games but I am so terribad at RTS games.

I heard Shogun 2 has a really easy mode.

Can anyone confirm Gamersgate Steamwork thing ?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
UnluckyKate said:
I heard Shogun 2 has a really easy mode.

Can anyone confirm Gamersgate Steamwork thing ?

It is Steamworks. Gamer's Gate's site has this up in the usual spot for Steam games: "DRM:Requires a 3rd party download and account"

Buy with confidence.

Blizzard

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
Steam has been launching my games really slowly ever since yesterday.
Steam community pages were completely down for me last night, so I figure DOTA 2 has made everything more screwy than usual.

morningbus said:
It is Steamworks. Gamer's Gate's site has this up in the usual spot for Steam games: "DRM:Requires a 3rd party download and account"

Buy with confidence.

How likely the game is too be in Steam holydays sales with all DLC for a lesser price ? Might dip now

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Forkball said:
It's technically RTS, but you can pause at any moment to look at how the action is going and set up command changes. I suck ass at RTS but I love these. Just keep in mind that your commands have to literally be shouted out by the squad leader, heard, and responded to. No hivemind armies here. If you're really not sure, the Shogun 2 demo is massive.

UnluckyKate said:
How likely the game is too be in Steam holydays sales with all DLC for a lesser price ? Might dip now
This is why I'm holding back from Shogun 2. All Total War games have done all-DLC bundles before, so I can wait. I need to play Empire/Napoleon and prefer their style, anyhow.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
UnluckyKate said:

I'd say that if you're worried about it, you should wait. Gamer's Gate's sale price is only 50% off the Steam price. It'll at least be that during the sale.

morningbus said:
I'd say that if you're worried about it, you should wait. Gamer's Gate's sale price is only 50% off the Steam price. It'll at least be that during the sale.

Well, I guess I should wait for the bundle. These DLC and expension looks pretty good so I would culpabilise if I were to miss them and buy them later for high prices.

Dice said:
This is why I'm holding back from Shogun 2. All Total War games have done all-DLC bundles before, so I can wait. I need to play Empire/Napoleon and prefer their style, anyhow.

They did ? Great. I'm waiting. Need the same for Civ5 anyway.

New features have been added to the Steamworks SDK:

The Steamworks SDK has been updated to support sharing cloud files with the Steam community, Steam Workshop integration, and a tool for automated DRM submissions. Also includes updates for using WebAPI AuthenticateUserTicket and merging of ISteamMasterServerUpdater with ISteamGameServer interface. Click the link above to download

I guess we can soon transfer game saves, configs, and screenshots easily between accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom