• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Dice said:
Picked up Empire/Napoleon (which is Steamworks) for $12 and also the slightly older Medieval 2 Gold, non-Steam but only $2.50! Has to be a 10:1 gameplay hours/dollars ratio. It is time for WARRRR!!

Downside: Killing like 1/4 of my monthly bandwidth to get them.
The only thing about Empire (not entirely sure about Napoleon) that REALLY pisses me off is if I take too long during the siege, the game slows to a crawl from something, I think the AI just getting stuck or something. When I finally rush in and start killing them it returns to normal eventually. I dunno what that means except, maybe you want to auto-resolve sieges that involve star forts unless you like to rush the walls early.

It's stupid because cannons have unlimited ammo, so why not spend all my time turning that fort into a pile of rocks?

I wish I knew when CA was done with all their DLC for Shogun 2 so I could pick it up already.

Salazar

Napoleon is too much goddamn fun. Especially when you make a not-terribly-large aperture in the fort wall with cannon blast and then just throw infantry at it. Bloodbath.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sober said:
I dunno what that means except, maybe you want to auto-resolve sieges that involve star forts unless you like to rush the walls early.
Autoresolve is a good way to lose 10x as many men as you would have. I wonder if it could have been a RAM issue? I got 8GB to work with...

Salazar said:
Napoleon is too much goddamn fun. Especially when you make a not-terribly-large aperture in the fort wall with cannon blast and then just throw infantry at it. Bloodbath.
Yes, bloodbath. That's Napoleon-style.

Medieval 2 also seems to have a nice variety of factions to choose from. Should be cool.

Sober

Dice said:
Autoresolve is a good way to lose 10x as many men as you would have. I wonder if it could have been a RAM issue? I got 8GB to work with...
I hate auto-resolving too. Only got 4GB of RAM here, and dropping my video settings made no difference. Google came up with a bunch of people with the same issue but don't think anyone knows why.

Sanctum seems pretty cool. Think I'm going to buy a four pack with two of my friends. If anyone is interested in jumping in shoot me a PM. Can't beat $3.75.

On a related note. Fuck tanks. I was putting a full load of shotgun in their face and not getting through. What is the best tactic for them?

Rufus

Hero_of_the_Day said:
On a related note. Fuck tanks. I was putting a full load of shotgun in their face and not getting through. What is the best tactic for them?
Their head is their weak point, so concentrated fire to the face. Headshots with the sniper rifle and lightning towers as far as towers go, I think. The violator tower (if you have it, it's DLC) should be good too, but I haven't messed around with it too much.

Ningo

Yes, just dismayed as prices getting worse not better.

These prices are even higher than retail.

I bought arkham city from greenman gaming earlier this year for like $30, but haven't bought skyrim yet.

Guess i'm going to have to buy a key from a reseller.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Hmmm...

What to do with my extra copy of Sanctum. I can't think of anything witty. So, first person to quote me gets it.

I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Also anybody know if the daily special is any good?

Blizzard

Banned
DualShadow said:
I wouldn't mind trying it out.

It's rather expensive as such things go, and has a crappy review score. There's only one person who would try such a game and tell us how it is... *lights the Joe Molotov signal*

Quick question, why do I now get this screen when clicking +Add Friend from the buddy list? It used to have its own pop-up that also let you click on recently played with names but it just takes me to that page now... told a guy I just played with that I was gonna add him but can't remember his name so I need that recently played list.

http://i.imgur.com/MYMRJ.jpg

Scythian

Heavy said:
Quick question, why do I now get this screen when clicking +Add Friend from the buddy list? It used to have its own pop-up that also let you click on recently played with names but it just takes me to that page now... told a guy I just played with that I was gonna add him but can't remember his name so I need that recently played list.

http://i.imgur.com/MYMRJ.jpg

Steam client update, now you can search who you want to add in lieu of directly writing the ID; Pretty comfortable, if you ask me.

Scythian said:
Steam client update, now you can search who you want to add in lieu of directly writing the ID; Pretty comfortable, if you ask me.
can you say that again? what do you mean...
so no more recently played list? it's bed time and i'm derping

Scythian

Heavy said:
can you say that again? what do you mean...
so no more recently played list? it's bed time and i'm derping

Whoops, sorry, derping over here as well, can't recall seing a Recently played list, and can't find it either.

Edit: Found it on the Steam menu, the "Players" submenu shows the recently played games and players.

Scythian said:
Whoops, sorry, derping over here as well, can't recall seing a Recently played list, and can't find it either.
Sigh..wtf, why remove that feature? especially when Steam names can have symbols making it very hard to remember. This guy's name had something similar to -~ ~- at the ends, can't remember.

Scythian said:
Edit: Found it on the Steam menu, the "Players" submenu shows the recently played games and players.
just saw your edit...where's the players menu? sorry i'm really derping

edit again: just found it...gotta be kidding me hiding it there. It should be accessible in the buddy list.

Z1Uq0.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
inMomentum just got a new patch on Steam:

inMomentum 1.02 Changelog

- Fixed startup error regarding dependencies
- Fixed mouse sensitivity being reset automatically to default
- Fixed a rare bug where powerups would keep giving one and the same powerup all the time
- Fixed checkpoints staying green for clients on laps past the first
- Added ToggleSky console command
ToggleSky True/False
Toggles the sky on/off
- Added ToggleLightShafts console command
ToggleLightShafts True/False
Toggles volumetric lighting on/off, removing the shadow artifacts that occur on some Radeon cards
- Added ToggleMotionBlur console command
ToggleMotionBlur True/False
Turns the motion blur and speed effect blur on/off
- Added ChangeDetailMode console command
ChangeDetailMode 1/2/3
Changes the detail mode of the game, reducing texture memory and overal SFX memory consumption
- Added NEW MAP EPI-RollerCoaster
- Reworked Music System
Music stays the same across different maps and does not change on restarts
Player can switch between different tracks using the following keys:
P key - Plays next random track
8 key - plays previous track from list
9 key - plays next track from list
- Added a Restart Level button: R key
The thing I really like is that they added options and commands (and a new map) that sound like they're listening to fan feedback and giving players more control. Thumbs up on that! Tomorrow I should actually have time to try another map or two and organize my comments about it.

Eusis

Derrick01 said:
There's also DX11 and physx. I don't know how much that adds but it's clearly not a direct console port like some games with Sky in the title ;)
I doubt Tessellation and PhysX take up very much space, so most likely it's either very nice textures (which looks to be the case going by comparison shots!) or some weird failure to compress as well as on consoles.

Sober

Eusis said:
I doubt Tessellation and PhysX take up very much space, so most likely it's either very nice textures (which looks to be the case going by comparison shots!) or some weird failure to compress as well as on consoles.
I don't entirely remember how to browse the UE3 file directory, but from what I can tell of other UE3 (and older) games, maps are generally huge in size so they probably are about 50% of that space (since AC is larger than AA considerably) and textures were generally large files too. I guess the extra large sizes bloat up file sizes is the main part though, seeing as if the console version is ~8GB, the map sizes don't really factor in.

benjipwns

Banned
Blizzard said:
It's rather expensive as such things go, and has a crappy review score. There's only one person who would try such a game and tell us how it is... *lights the Joe Molotov signal*
DualShadow said:
I've played it for as long as I could stomach, I have it from the old Eidos pack.

It's absolutely terrible, 58 sounds like overrating it. This review snippet is pretty close to describing how bad it is:
A mess of a game in all senses of the term. Its gameplay is at least one generation behind the competition, its presentation is like a collection of every graphical effect thrown into a mixing pot and poured onto the screen
Apparently it's only four hours long according to IGN.

I can't fathom how it's $8 at 75% after three years. Would think it was $2.50 or lower.

Card Boy

Banned
Syphon Filter said:
What other big indie title is there besides limbo,braid,super meat boy,bastion?

You after recommendations?

VVVVVV
Bit.Trip Series
Sequence
The Binding of Issac
And Yet It Moves
Aquaria
Breath of Death 7+Cthulhu Saves the World
Chantelise
Defence Grid
Frozen Synlapse
Gish
Jolly Rover
Terraria
Magicka
Monday Night Combat
Recettear
Revenge of the Titans
Swords and Soldiers HD

Painkiller holds up really well. I mean the level design is pretty awful--walk into a room, doors close, trigger enemy waves, kill them all, door unlocks, rinse, lather repeat until you've worked your way through an entire level--but the atmosphere and aesthetics of the world are great and damn does the twitch gameplay scratch that itch.

It even natively supports 1920x1200.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yeah, Painkiller is fantastic. It's like blasting your way through an old Iron Maiden video, if that makes any sense (the cathedrals, graveyards, haunted military outposts, etc.). Cheesy fun atmosphere, wild and varied weaponry, some great boss fights. It's a classic.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Napoleon runs way better than Empire. Better multicore support?

Also what's the best website for Total War games, like, mods and whatnot?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SalsaShark says from beyond the grave that since he now owns LA Noire he's been rewarded with a 75% discount on R*'s Steam catalogue for the weekend. If anybody is interested in the following, get in touch with him and he'll help you out:

KoHCP.png

ChNsg.png

NvagE.png

Twinduct

Holy shit balls.
Fuck that noise, I just bought the 49.99 package for GTA complete, since I missed the sale.
Fuck you steam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom