• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

-PXG- said:
I just got Sanctum for free...I think. Why is that? Will I be charged? It says it was complimentary.
spotlight_image_english.png

svegis

-PXG- said:
I just got Sanctum for free...I think. Why is that? Will I be charged? It says it was complimentary.

Free weekend, you should see the hours remaining on it next to the title in your Library.

Psy-Phi

I wish the DLC for Sanctum was on sale too :(. I own the base game already, I will probably buy the collection, but I don't really care for the music in Sanctum, and would prefer a collection without that (and the reduced price to reflect that). If only I could gift the extra copy that will be lost in the transaction to a friend, it'd make it easier to swallow.

There should also be a 4-pack with all the DLC too....bleh. Maybe I won't buy this stuff.

PaulLFC

"Collection" is on sale but the DLC isn't for existing owners... meh.

Edit: Ignore that, just saw 3chopl0x's post. Strange way to discount the DLC though!

Valygar

Nabs said:
Fatshark just announced their new game. It's a top-down real time RPG called Krater. It'll be out next year on Steam.

http://www.kratergame.com/

I would like to mention two games that inspires me in the work with Krater.

Fallout(1 & 2) and the original XCOM.

I could just as well add the Baldur's Gate games as well.
Follow us on facebook and twitter: @fatsharkgames

That may be interesting, I'll wait until more information is shown. It's a bit weird to launch the webpage without.. well, anything.

For anyone that pre-ordered Sonic Generations, do you get keys for the free games, are they added to your inventory, or are they automatically applied to your account and just show up in your library?

ezodagrom

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
For anyone that pre-ordered Sonic Generations, do you get keys for the free games, are they added to your inventory, or are they automatically applied to your account and just show up in your library?
They're automatically applied to the account, but if you already have the games on Steam, they can be gifted to someone else.

Qatar

MRORANGE said:
it's a f2p game now I believe.
ya I know, but all it appears on the game's store page that all my friends own it, and when I click on the list, not all of them show up. I guess that's how it is with F2P games and demos on steam.

schnell

jediyoshi said:
Ack you're right, I meant from the big ol retail games.
Ah, yes. It's a lot easier to keep myself from buying a $15+ game than it is the darn $3 indie games. When I check PayPal I just see a constant stream of charges under $5. Terrible self control over here.

Anyway, has anyone played Payday: The Heist?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Volcynika said:
Don't think they've said, but if they follow trends, it should have one.
I'm pretty sure someone said they confirmed preload earlier in the thread.

Derrick01

Banned
K.Jack said:
Batman AC is 17GB? Higher res textures added that much bloat?

There's also DX11 and physx. I don't know how much that adds but it's clearly not a direct console port like some games with Sky in the title ;)

coopolon

Anyone have any experience pre-ordering Steamworks games on Direct2Drive. I pre-ordered Skyrim and am hoping they give us the codes a day or two early so that I can preload the game. My only experience pre-ordering a Steamworks game not on Steam was with GMG Deus Ex which did release the codes a few days early.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
UnluckyKate said:
How likely the game is too be in Steam holydays sales with all DLC for a lesser price ? Might dip now
15$ is a steal for EU. Even if the base game is discounted 75% during winter, it is still more expensive than 15$ converted to €. Just use a proxy for purchase.

Lothars

coopolon said:
Anyone have any experience pre-ordering Steamworks games on Direct2Drive. I pre-ordered Skyrim and am hoping they give us the codes a day or two early so that I can preload the game. My only experience pre-ordering a Steamworks game not on Steam was with GMG Deus Ex which did release the codes a few days early.
I picked up Civilization V from D2D and I believe it let me preload when I did.

Smash88

Banned
Just so everyone on GAF knows, I owe Dyslexic Alucard $25 for any game of his choice at any moment he wishes. If I do not make good on this, you can permanently ban me from GAF.

Nabs

Why didn't you tell me sooner? :(*

Oh, and Sonic might be out. So go play it, people.

*I did not buy that shit. I'll be waiting for the xmas sale 2012.

Doomrider

Who knows, maybe you'll like it. And that's just my opinion =P

Cool tech aside, the game just wasn't much fun. Driving around gets overdone and it isn't exciting in the least (you can skip driving sequences, though), shooting mechanics are mediocre (maybe playing with KB+M will solve the issue?), and interrogation gameplay could have been handled better. The city in uninteresting and Cole is an unlikeable asshole.

I loved investigating crime scenes, but... That's about it. About 1/3 into the game, I couldn't handle playing more than one mission at a time. It doesn't help that the game is 15+ hours (which, in this case, is a bad thing).

My advice to others who may be interested: wait for a sale.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Stallion Free said:
Despite all the negativity I'm still really curious about LA Noire. But like 20$ excited.

$20 or less sounds good to me.

It's a very ambitious game, but it fell short in a lot of ways. The gamey stuff, like the driving and combat, was average at best and felt tacked on so that there was 'more' to it than just story bits and investigations. The illusion of choice is shattered pretty quickly when you realize that what you choose to do doesn't have a significant impact in the way cases play out.

As Doomrider said, the crime scene investigations are the highlight of the game, if only for the fun of pretending you're a real detective, but even those got repetitive several hours in. But despite all of that, it's still unlike anything else out there, and you should experience it for yourself when it hits the right pricepoint.

3rdman

Stallion Free said:
Despite all the negativity I'm still really curious about LA Noire. But like 20$ excited.
I think the gulf between those that enjoyed it and those that didn't is the age of the player...I'm an old fart at 41 and I really enjoyed the story. I can't say that I enjoyed much else about it but (for me) it was enough. If you can, get it cheap and watch a film noir classic like the "Maltese Falcon" or "Double Indemnity" to get into the mood before jumping in.

Relax.MX

:( I played so happy Titan Quest for 13 hours...and apparently im stuck with a bug...a door dont open(Thebas door)...

Sucks...i search google without solution...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Picked up Empire/Napoleon (which is Steamworks) for $12 and also the slightly older Medieval 2 Gold, non-Steam but only $2.50! Has to be a 10:1 gameplay hours/dollars ratio. It is time for WARRRR!!

Downside: Killing like 1/4 of my monthly bandwidth to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom