• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wish the GTA games had demos. I just want to experience them on PC a bit to see what it's like, not pay for them, or even replay them for real if I somehow got them for free.

svegis

Twinduct said:
Holy shit balls.
Fuck that noise, I just bought the 49.99 package for GTA complete, since I missed the sale.
Fuck you steam!

Ouch. Be happy that you've paid your share in financing GTA V, then?
However, I feel the annoyance, money spent for no "good reason", if you'd waited.
Happens to all of us once or twice!

Speaking of the GTA games, I was thinking yesterday that it'd be real nice if they included Steam cloud, just like id did with their past titles.

jaundicejuice said:
Painkiller holds up really well. I mean the level design is pretty awful--walk into a room, doors close, trigger enemy waves, kill them all, door unlocks, rinse, lather repeat until you've worked your way through an entire level--but the atmosphere and aesthetics of the world are great and damn does the twitch gameplay scratch that itch.

It even natively supports 1920x1200.

I think my favourite thing about Painkiller is the insane secrets. Some of them are mind-bogglingly obtuse to get to, requiring exploitation of minor glitches.

Dice

Tomodachi said:
No Anno 2070 demo on Steam? :(
What the hell Ubi, first Anno 1404, now this :(
Yeah, I wonder what their deal is.

Though, truckloads of indie games have turned around my desire for Steam games. If something doesn't have a reason to be on Steam (achievements, multiplayer focus, frequent patches and content updates) I don't even want the Steam version. I'd rather just download a standalone version without any DRM or internet requirement.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Steam demos sometimes show up late compared to other places. The HOMM6 demo showed up on Steam weeks after it was released at other websites.

Tomodachi

Dice said:
Though, truckloads of indie games have turned around my desire for Steam games. If something doesn't have a reason to be on Steam (achievements, multiplayer focus, frequent patches and content updates) I don't even want the Steam version. I'd rather just download a standalone version without any DRM or internet requirement.
True, but being a strategy game I'm sure it will get a lot of fixes and tweaks in the future, so I would gladly get it from Steam (also, I don't like to spread my PC shopping on different online platforms). Anyone knows why it was pulled from the store by the way?

Archie said:
Steam demos sometimes show up late compared to other places. The HOMM6 demo showed up on Steam weeks after it was released at other websites.
Yeah, it's possible the demo will show up later of course, Steam isn't always up-to-date with demos. But what worries me is that the previous Anno title appeared on Steam and then was removed for some reason, people who bought it don't get updates anymore and have a hard time playing the Venice expansion. I really hope the same won't happen for this new chapter (lots of ubi games on steam lately though, so fingers crossed).

benjipwns

Banned
Tomodachi said:
But what worries me is that the previous Anno title appeared on Steam and then was removed for some reason, people who bought it don't get updates anymore
Ubisoft refused to update it with patches after a certain point for anyone in NA, so it was removed.

FloppyDelux said:
Anyone else enjoying sonic generations ?

Loving it! Sega has done a fantastic job with the PC version. Full 1080P and 60FPS Sonic with updated classic gameplay and perfected modern gameplay has me weeping tears of joy. I was surprised that they included the Japanese voices with subtitles. The English voice overs are terrible but I'll suffer through them for posterity's sake for my first play through. The pre-rendered cutscenes are shitty and compressed Bink qualtiy stuff but fortunately I have only encountered one of these so far. Most of the cutscenes between Acts and Bosses are rendered in real time with the game engine and the game looks beautiful, especially in motion.

I was afraid this was going to be a short game but there is actually a lot of replay value. The levels allow a good amount of exploration with different branching paths and hidden areas, there are challenge stages for each Act, hidden collectibles, points that you can earn which will allow you to buy skills that enhance Sonic's abilities, and a competitive Online mode.

The Steamworks features are nice but I wish the story stage completion times counted toward the Leaderboards instead of having a separate "Online" mode for them. Not a result of the game but I am reminded that Steam should really work on integrating more of their Steamworks features like Leaderboards, Friends, Achievements, and DLC into the main client, instead of dumping you to the overlay browser.

I highly recommend this to anyone that likes platformers or "good" Sonic games. If you want to save a few bucks, this is still $25 at Amazon.com and activates on Steam for anyone that is interested.

Qatar said:
it runs at 60 FPS
watch this video at 1080p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caqdvJKXvGY I'm not sure if youtube can do 60 FPS though
I'm thinking of getting the PC version, but is there any reason why PC version is $20 cheaper?

Maybe Sega finally understands pricing in the PC digital distribution market or they are trying to regain trust from the PC audience after some of their more recent terrible console ports or rather recent terrible Sonic games? They really nailed the pricing with this one but honestly, I would have paid much closer to full price because the game is absolutely worth it. I doubt others would have given the game a chance if the price was higher though so I think the pricing decision is a wise one on Sega's part.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Not a result of the game but I am reminded that Steam should really work on integrating more of their Steamworks features like Leaderboards, Friends, Achievements, and DLC into the main client, instead of dumping you to the overlay browser.
Devs can do that. They are just lazy and don't.

Stallion Free said:
Devs can do that. They are just lazy and don't.

I'm glad that this is not an inherent problem with Steam, but it is unfortunate that more developers don't take the time to implement these features with proper integration. :(

Ploid 3.0

Dice said:
I wish the GTA games had demos. I just want to experience them on PC a bit to see what it's like, not pay for them, or even replay them for real if I somehow got them for free.

Feels like the console version. May have hiccups or not depending on how powerful your system is. 1080p, can go up to 60fps, mods make the difference. Still the same game though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I'm glad that this is not an inherent problem with Steam, but it is unfortunate that more developers don't take the time to implement these features with proper integration. :(
I guess it's just fastest to do it externally, like how there are still games on 360 that have their "Achievement" thing on the menu just take you to the 360 overlay.

Dice

Ploid 3.0 said:
Feels like the console version. May have hiccups or not depending on how powerful your system is. 1080p, can go up to 60fps, mods make the difference. Still the same game though.
Does it still have that shitty shadow effect?

Sober

Dice said:
Napoleon runs way better than Empire. Better multicore support?

Also what's the best website for Total War games, like, mods and whatnot?
Have not given Napoleon more than an hour compared to Empire (which I put ~40 hours into a single campaign like the other TW games I have atm), so maybe since it came out a year later.

You might want to check the Shogun 2 OT for links but as far as I know, the official TW forums, totalwar.org and twcenter have guides and lists scattered throughout, and twc is also the modding site if you are looking for mods.

AcridMeat

Banned
I love Shattered Horizon and even I can't recommend it with the community it has, or had the last time I tried playing it.

Hopefully the sale gives it a boost and I'll play a bit this weekend.

edit: IT SHITS SUNDAES!!

So, uh, not sure what the etiquette is with this, but I've got a Dirt 3 Steam code from my new graphics card (not ganked from that online deal a few months back), if anyone has anything they're willing to trade for it? Not looking for anything remotely expensive, just something I don't have already.

1-D_FTW

Wasn't it 2.00 dollars at one point? I know it had a free weekend and was ridiculously cheap. But 30 minutes of free play was enough to realize it would have been a waste of half a cereal box.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Futuremark, Shattered Horizon's developer, needs to bite the bullet and do a fire sale on Steam. A 4 pack for $5, or something. They need to build the community, not even for this game, but to help any game they plan to make in the future.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
DaFish said:
never bought from GMG, do they give you a steam or or something?

Yeah, I bought Sonic Generations off them and they'll just email you a Steam code once the game gets released.

ektoll

Deal of the Day is "Your doodles are bugged" for 2,72€/3,40$, it's a very cute little game made originally for Xbox Live Indie Games by a Gaffer, Spyn Doctor, and here is the OT.

It was on my wishlist, bought! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom