• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythian

I know this gets asked a lot, but is the Geneforge saga likely to go on Sale on Winter? I really can't see it as a "daily deal", but I can be wrong.

The Eschalon games did in the summer sale, so I don't see why not. Although, on the other hand the Geneforge saga is already only about 20% of the previous Spiderweb website price, so it might not go much lower.

Detox

MRORANGE said:
GMG with pre-order discount and voucher: £ 30.43

Amazon : £28.89

there are one or two more cheaper from smaller online retailers.
GMG shaft the UK and EU in terms of prices. Only the US get the good prices. Which is strange considering they are based in the UK.

Giran

Scythian said:
I know this gets asked a lot, but is the Geneforge saga likely to go on Sale on Winter? I really can't see it as a "daily deal", but I can be wrong.

Avadon appeared as a daily shortly after its release.

Scythian

ChoklitReign said:
Is preordering Arkham City from GMG cheaper than from Steam with the AA discount?

Nope, it's $39.99 USD in Steam with discount, and GMG is charging $40.78. Also, GMG version isn't Steamworks.

Steam is currently converting my Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines to a "more efficient format". What's the point? It's not like It's getting an update right?

Hope it doesn't screw my mods.

Edit: Fuck, it did.

Eusis

Madrugador said:
Steam is currently converting my Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines to a "more efficient format". What's the point? It's not like It's getting an update right?

Fuck, one of the games that least needs that kind of crap too.

Edit: Told it to not automatically update, tried to boot it... and got that warning. Yeah, that game may be out of commission until the patches address that, not unless it simply needs to be repatched afterwards.

Vamphuntr

Madrugador said:

Even with auto update off it forces you to do it. You can't even boot the game without doing this, it shows a pop up where you either accepts or cancel (can't boot the game). Seems like they are killing the mods.

Disappointed.

Card Boy

Banned
Madrugador said:

Dam this is some pathetic ass shit right here. More and more the 'Do not update this game' means jack all. Hope someone comes up with a fix.

I wonder if its going to ef up my Stalker: SoC game now...

epmode

I seriously doubt that this will kill any mods. It doesn't change the actual file/folder structure, right? Worst-case scenario is that you'll need to reinstall the game+mods from scratch.

morningbus said:
Ohh. I believe the developer of this one is a fellow Gaffer.

Also, how long has Shattered Horizon been on sale? It's $5 currently.

In before Stallion tells you it is a shit sundae.

Is it developed by a Gaffer ? confirm or no buy.

I bought Shattered Horizon after the Moon update and never played it. Always wanted to support indie dev doing huge support, free content and engaging new gameplay with a setting that's appealing to me. I heard there's bot now so I won't miss anyone playing it. One day. Maybe.

Vamphuntr

epmode said:
I seriously doubt that this will kill any mods. It doesn't change the actual file/folder structure, right? Worst-case scenario is that you'll need to reinstall the game+mods from scratch.

It killed them for me alright :(. Game is no longer widescreen. Trying to reinstall them now.

epmode said:

It did with Bloodlines. I had to install everything again (not a big deal anyway).

It even reinstalled those logo videos I erased, wicked.

Vamphuntr

Madrugador said:
It did with Bloodlines. I had to install everything again (not a big deal anyway).

It even reinstalled the intro videos I erased, wicked.

Are you able to turn auto update off? Since the update I can't anymore. WTF GABE.

Card Boy

Banned
I just uninstalled it and will install again when i feel like playing. I applied the widescreen fix again and it seemed to work, but alot of textures where missing. I though ef it.

Valve can go suck one.

Vamphuntr said:
Are you able to turn auto update off? Since the update I can't anymore. WTF GABE.

Haven't tried. I'm not worried though, this is probably a one time thing (I hope). It's not even a real update.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Madrugador said:

It even reinstalled those logo videos I erased, wicked.

That's what he said:

epmode said:
I seriously doubt that this will kill [mod support]. It doesn't change the actual file/folder structure, right? Worst-case scenario is that you'll need to reinstall the game+mods from scratch.

Blizzard

Banned
Gez said:
Dam this is some pathetic ass shit right here. More and more the 'Do not update this game' means jack all. Hope someone comes up with a fix.

I wonder if its going to ef up my Stalker: SoC game now...
I'm pretty sure I've posted about this like, 3+ times on neogaf by now. Changing the setting on Steam that says not to autoupdate your game DOES NOT stop Steam from updating it. All it apparently does is stop Steam from downloading the latest patches while you're not playing the game, sadly.

If you try to launch a game that's not fully patched according to Steam, you will be FORCED to download all latest patches unless you have a Steam installation that's offline, you never go online, and there's no offline-expiration-timer I'm not aware of. Otherwise you might go online, some game might realize there's an update, and then when you go offline it might refuse to start due to not being the latest version.

I really wish there was an option on Steam to opt out of patches, but there isn't, so there you go unless you can convince Gabe or something. :p

Koodo

Banned
Is anyone else having problems connecting to Steam? I can access my account on the browser but it's not letting me login on the client (tried on two different computers too).

I'm in Canada btw.

Erudite

Koodo said:
Is anyone else having problems connecting to Steam? I can access my account on the browser but it's not letting me login on the client (tried on two different computers too).

I'm in Canada btw.
I can log on fine, but Steam decided to wipe my categories. I relogged 4 times, nothing.

No way in hell I'm sorting through ~300 games one at a time.

dani_dc

UnluckyKate said:
Is it developed by a Gaffer ? confirm or no buy.

I bought Shattered Horizon after the Moon update and never played it. Always wanted to support indie dev doing huge support, free content and engaging new gameplay with a setting that's appealing to me. I heard there's bot now so I won't miss anyone playing it. One day. Maybe.

The developer does post on gaf, I recall him posting in the Steam thread when the game was released. He also posted on the OT of the game.

Ceebs

Koodo said:

I'm in Canada btw.
I had a few DC's today which killed my Dungeon Defenders sessions. Got kind of annoying.

My account was finally approved. (I am Delicious Bert.)

I've been waiting over a year and have been lurking the Steam threads since the end of OT1.

Now I can actually post information when I have it instead of relying on other people.

Hooray. :D

wilflare

BertleTheTurtle said:

I've been waiting over a year and have been lurking the Steam threads since the end of OT1.

Now I can actually post information when I have it instead of relying on other people.

welcome on :D haha
thanks for the heads up on Orcs Must Die :D

Card Boy

Banned
BertleTheTurtle said:

Only advice i can give to not getting banned is avoid console/NDP/gender/VS's threads.

Bluth54

So Batman Arkham City is now showing a release date of November 22 on Steam and on Amazon.

I'm really starting to get pissed off.

Aselith

Bluth54 said:
So Batman Arkham City is now showing a release date of November 22 on Steam and on Amazon.

I'm kinda happy about that tbh. Now I won't have Saints Row and Batman in the same day. :)

MNC

This shit is beyond unbelievable.

Sonic Generations has this pretty shitty configuration tool with semi-decent options but it in no way will want to recognize my dedicated NVIDIA GPU. I can only play with my Intel.

Tried forcing GPU for configtool, for sonic, whatever. My config stays put at Intel, and when I start the game with the NVIDIA I get the error that the hardware and config file don't match.

It still hasn't been patched and at the most I can play 10 fps@800x600.

Fix your shit SEGA and never do this Optimus thing again NVIDIA. I want to fucking play your game.

Derrick01

Banned
Bluth54 said:

Yeah it's apparently in US steam only. UK people are saying it's still 18th there.

Rocksteady is really testing my patience and I don't want to hear the "It's for some dumb graphical feature you won't even use!" excuse again. Just release the fucking game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom