• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

So I finally beat Psychonauts. I bought it way back in 2007, and got stuck in the bull fighter level, and just never finished it.

Now with the update I went and started from the beginning. Took me around 8-9 hours. Loved it.

I'm incredibly confused as to what part of the Meat Circus was so horrendous. Did they fix it in the update? I was dreading it all game because I'd heard so many people whinge about it. But there was nothing especially difficult about it.

ArjanN

legend166 said:
I just watched a youtube video - it didn't seem very different. Any idea what they changed?

I don't think they specified exactly what they changed about it, but really it wasn't even that hard before anyway.

Gez said:
If you an Indie developer i don't understand why you go exclusive to a single console platform in the first place.

Microsoft and Sony both fund the development cost of indie titles in exchange for exclusivity windows.

Blizzard

Banned
confused said:
I bought Space Siege and tried it out. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.
I'm all for trying flawed, hidden gems -- I liked FUEL, for instance -- but when the Metacritic average is 60 or below, I'm quite hesitant. Thanks for the warning. Someone had better check Joe Molotov's account and make sure he owns it, though.

yamo

charlequin said:
Microsoft and Sony both fund the development cost of indie titles in exchange for exclusivity windows.

But are you really ind(i)ependent if someone is paying for your development costs? :eek:

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
charlequin said:

A lot of indie developers still look at being on a console as becoming "legitimate," too. It's just weird when there is definitely no money being given for funding and the developer refuses to consider the PC.

Like the game Fez, for example. The only reason it isn't coming to PC is that the developer says, and I'm not making this up, that part of the experience is playing on a couch with a controller. I still expect him to change his mind though, as Steam has proven incredibly lucrative lately.

Tomodachi

morningbus said:
Like the game Fez, for example. The only reason it isn't coming to PC is that the developer says, and I'm not making this up, that part of the experience is playing on a couch with a controller. I still expect him to change his mind though, as Steam has proven incredibly lucrative lately.
Especially since I can play Steam games on a couch with a controller anytime. Duh.

It's sad that even (some) developers still have this ancient idea about pc gaming.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Tomodachi said:
Especially since I can play Steam games on a couch with a controller anytime. Duh.

It's sad that even (some) developers still have this ancient idea about pc gaming.

So long as he found a way to render the game unplayable to those who hook their 360s up to computer monitors and sit at the same viewing distance as PC players, I'd begrudgingly respect it.

hongesagatame said:
But are you really ind(i)ependent if someone is paying for your development costs? :eek:

Err... yes?

morningbus said:

Microsoft is 100% paying for the game and 100% has a contractual exclusivity window, and the details of those contracts have historically led to people more or less lying about their platform intentions until the window runs out. I'm not saying that it'll definitely get a PC release or anything, but if six months and one day after the game comes out there's suddenly a "coming to Steam next week~" press release it would not surprise me one bit.

StuBurns

Banned
Typically I'm pretty anti-third party exclusive, but these deal MS has with indies are pretty good for everyone. The devs get to make their game, they get marketing support, then they have an exclusive window to work on ports to other systems and release it again. It'll be interesting to see if Sony's new indie fund works essentially the same way.

yamo

charlequin said:
Err... yes?

It was an honest question. I just didn't see the difference between a publisher paying your development cost or in this case microsoft/sony paying it. Can we be sure they have no influence at all over the development of the game, in all aspects?

Mako_Drug

StuBurns said:
Typically I'm pretty anti-third party exclusive, but these deal MS has with indies are pretty good for everyone. The devs get to make their game, they get marketing support, then they have an exclusive window to work on ports to other systems and release it again. It'll be interesting to see if Sony's new indie fund works essentially the same way.

New? I thought the 'pub fund' if that is what you are referring to has been around for a while?

hongesagatame said:
It was an honest question. I just didn't see the difference between a publisher paying your development cost or in this case microsoft/sony paying it.

There isn't, but you can also still be independent and have a publisher pay for your dev costs. Doublefine is an independent developer. Especially now after so much consolidation, it's very relevant whether a dev is owned by a publisher or privately held.

Nice, THQ week. Everything 33% off. Metro 2033 -75% today.

Hoping for some good deals the next few days.

Edit: Apparently, THQ doesn't have that much games I missed. Might pick up Dawn of War II.

MRORANGE

ClosingADoor said:
Nice, THQ week. Everything 33% off. Metro 2033 -75% today.

Hoping for some good deals the next few days.

Steam cloud has been added to THQ games as well, which is nice, not sure on which titles though.

Manager

For some reason there's no reviews of MX vs ATV Reflex PC (^ THQ week) on Gamerankings, but reading around it seems like the PC version is incredibly shitty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPZUWedsq_4

This is just what you get. 25fps, not working multiplayer, broken steam communication, steam is acting like its not even there.. i dont see it on my games list.. cant view achievements.
Typical crappy console port.

svegis

graywolf323 said:
when did the first Supreme Commander finally get added to Steam? the steam page says 2007 but it definitely was not

If I'm not mistaken, two or three weeks ago, maybe even less than that.

JaseC said:
As opposed to the other 100 times it's gone on sale throughout the year? :p

I've literally had the game in my cart 10 times at this point. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is knowing that it'll probably be played a grand total of 10 min and then sit indefinitely in my backlog until the end of time.

yamo

charlequin said:
There isn't, but you can also still be independent and have a publisher pay for your dev costs. Doublefine is an independent developer. Especially now after so much consolidation, it's very relevant whether a dev is owned by a publisher or privately held.

I see. Guess I equated the word indie (in video game industry terms) with not having a publisher.

So i guess i don't get extra copies of the games I own if I buy the THQ bundle. Might as well just wait this week for Armageddon and Homefront to be daily THQ deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom