• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously hope Darksiders will be more than 75% off this week, I want it but it has to be cheaper in order to become an impulse buy :lol I hope it isn't a daily until Thursday or Friday, I'm still wainting my Paypal money :(

BTW, I've been trying to get all Borderlands achievements this week. Fuck Gearbox and fuck the DLC's achievements, man. What a nightmare, I loved the game but the long Moxxi challenges and the Claptrap items ones are boring and long as hell.

JADS

The Broken Ska Record said:
Probably not, but it does say it's not tradeable.

So, that could mean GFWL (I Hope not) or some copyright protection that has an activation limit?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gully State said:
I've literally had the game in my cart 10 times at this point. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is knowing that it'll probably be played a grand total of 10 min and then sit indefinitely in my backlog until the end of time.

But that's the point of Steam: to collect games, not play them!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Saint's Row II for 5 bucks, come the fuck on!

I've passed it too many times already! It's about time for me to get it. Don't dissapoint me!

MRORANGE

drizzle said:

I've passed it too many times already! It's about time for me to get it. Don't dissapoint me!

it's one of the worst pc ports ever made - you have been warned.

Echoplx

drizzle said:

As long as you have a decent PC you can brute force the technical issues, it really is a great game and probably one of the funnest experiences I've had in recent years.

apana

Are we entering the season where we are gonna have weekly sales by different companies until Christmas starts? Can't wait for Ubisoft week, hopefully Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for $10. Darksiders from THQ kind of interests me but I've told myself that I absolutely will not buy a game unless I know it's something I'm gonna be able to put huge number of hours into.

garath

Metro 2033 eh?

I finally played through Singularity recently (one of those buy but never play Steam purchases) and loved it. That and RAGE have really reminded me how much I like FPS games. Metro 2033 a good buy?

drizzle said:

Make sure you get Gentlemen of the Row SR2 mod to make it run, at least, a little better.

plc268

apana said:
Are we entering the season where we are gonna have weekly sales by different companies until Christmas starts? Can't wait for Ubisoft week, hopefully Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for $10. Darksiders from THQ kind of interests me but I've toldy myself that I absolutely will not buy a game unless I know it's something I'm gonna be able to put huge number of hours into.

Can you imagine liking a zelda + god of war mashup? If the answer is yes, then it'll be worth the $7.50 or less that it will cost.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
MRORANGE said:
it's one of the worst pc ports ever made - you have been warned.
3chopl0x said:
As long as you have a decent PC you can brute force the technical issues, it really is a great game and probably one of the funnest experiences I've had in recent years.
That's why I never got it on past deals - shitty PC port.

I recently had a massive pc upgrade (2600k and 570gtx), so I'm guessing it'll run at an acceptable framerate now - thus, why I want it.

I've got just about everything that's for sale. If Homefront gets to at least $15 I'm buying it. Also, Off the Record comes out tomorrow and Steam doesn't even have it listed. I wonder what Capcom meant by "Steam details coming soon."

Echoplx

drizzle said:
That's why I never got it on past deals - shitty PC port.

I recently had a massive pc upgrade (2600k and 570gtx), so I'm guessing it'll run at an acceptable framerate now - thus, why I want it.

That's more then enough to brute force it, in fact I doubt you'll even notice any issues at all.

legend166 said:
I'm incredibly confused as to what part of the Meat Circus was so horrendous. Did they fix it in the update? I was dreading it all game because I'd heard so many people whinge about it. But there was nothing especially difficult about it.

One part of it was kicking my arse really badly, so I looked it up on YouTube to make sure I was going about it the right way. The most obvious difference I noticed was that
dad seems to throw a lot less missiles. There were parts in the video showing the player being bombarded really heavily, whereas he didn't even throw missiles at that part for me.

Derrick01

Banned
daviyoung said:
What's up with it? Performance issues only, or does it go beyond that?

Heavy performance issues. Even with a quad and a 460/470 it doesn't run great. I had to turn shadows completely off to get a relatively playable framerate. Don't even try the co-op, it makes it worse.

As for the THQ pack, I didn't even realize how many games I had from them until I looked. I have everything in the pack except Homefront and the ATV game.

Blizzard

Banned
aasoncott said:
Metro on a 2.66GHz i5 + 896MB GeForce GTX260 + 12GB RAM is totally unplayable. Good lord.
What graphics settings are you using? Try turning tessellation or AA or shadows down, assuming you have recent drivers.

I seem to recall it was reasonably playable on an e8400 and 5850 with 4GB RAM, so you should be fine.

daviyoung

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Heavy performance issues. Even with a quad and a 460/470 it doesn't run great. I had to turn shadows completely off to get a relatively playable framerate. Don't even try the co-op, it makes it worse.

Wow, does it at least look any better than the console versions when brute forced though? I have it on 360 and wouldn't mind double-dipping for better graphics and mouse controls but not if it's FUBAR.

Will be getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R if it's a daily deal, the Warhammers don't interest me too much.

Gvaz

Banned
Blizzard said:
What graphics settings are you using? Try turning tessellation or AA or shadows down, assuming you have recent drivers.

I seem to recall it was reasonably playable on an e8400 and 5850 with 4GB RAM, so you should be fine.
Not at decent settings :V

Blizzard

Banned
Gvaz said:
Not at decent settings :V
If I recall correctly, there were one or two specific settings with Metro that can KILL framerate. Possibly tesselation, volumetric fog, dynamic shadows, and/or DX11 mode?

So it looks like there's a chance Off the Record may not even get released on Steam.

http://tinyurl.com/3f78tyo

Unless there's some sort of Dead Rising deal planned this week where the second game is on sale and Off the Record has a small discount, I don't know what he could mean by "later this week."

Derrick01

Banned
daviyoung said:
Wow, does it at least look any better than the console versions when brute forced though? I have it on 360 and wouldn't mind double-dipping for better graphics and mouse controls but not if it's FUBAR.

Will be getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R if it's a daily deal, the Warhammers don't interest me too much.

I guess by default it looks better since I was playing on 1920x1080 but I had to turn so many settings down or off to get it to run it just wasn't worth it. And I bought it on Amazon when someone was selling it for $2, it still wasn't worth it.

I would honestly advise just waiting another month and buying SR3 on PC since you already have 2.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
LastWindow said:
So it looks like there's a chance Off the Record may not even get released on Steam.

http://tinyurl.com/3f78tyo

Unless there's some sort of Dead Rising deal planned this week where the second game is on sale and Off the Record has a small discount, I don't know what he could mean by "later this week."
I wish Capcom would stop riding that GFWL jock.

pa22word

LastWindow said:

Yeah I'm probably going to get the Direct2Drive version now. It is kind of silly how Capcom is ignoring 51% of their potential market just to get a check from MS though. The worst thing about this is that Capcom can ride the "lol sales" shtick as an excuse not to give us a PCv of a potential DR3. Shady, underhanded tactics man, makes me wonder why I continue to support this terrible excuse of a company v_v

Joe Molotov

Microsoft doesn't even wanna release their own games on GFWL. After launching with Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Shadowrun, and Halo 2, how many games have they released for it since then? Fable III and............yeah.

pa22word

Joe Molotov said:
Microsoft doesn't even wanna release their own games on GFWL. After launching with Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Shadowrun, and Halo 2, how many games have they released for it since then? Fable III and............yeah.

The Halo games aren't even on the GfWL marketplace, heh

Truespeed

Joe Molotov said:

That's because they're waiting for Windows 8 before they open the floodgates and start releasing all of their games for the platform they make the most money from. Of course, you'll need Windows 8 to run them all. Can't wait.

/sarcasm

nexen said:
If Homefront or RFA go below $15, I'm in.
I picked the retail versions of both for something like 12€ and have yet to play RFA.
But honestly, if you're only interested in the SP campaign for Homefront, I'd say 15 is too much. It's short as hell and absolutely derivative of Modern Warfare. I haven't tried the MP so it might be another story though.

Joe Molotov

Truespeed said:
That's because they're waiting for Windows 8 before they open the floodgates and start releasing all of their games for the platform they make the most money from. Of course, you'll need Windows 8 to run them all. Can't wait.

/sarcasm

Remember when Halo 2 and Shadowrun were Vista exclusive because of all those fucking awesome DX10 features that just wouldn't be possible on XP with DX9, and then hackers figured out that the game just did a check to see if you were running Vista, and if it not it wouldn't boot, and if you cracked the game to skip the check, it ran just fine? Good times.

pa22word said:
Yeah I'm probably going to get the Direct2Drive version now. It is kind of silly how Capcom is ignoring 51% of their potential market just to get a check from MS though. The worst thing about this is that Capcom can ride the "lol sales" shtick as an excuse not to give us a PCv of a potential DR3. Shady, underhanded tactics man, makes me wonder why I continue to support this terrible excuse of a company v_v

I know exactly what you mean, but damnit, I don't want to miss out on Off the Record so I'll probably get it on D2D also. I'm just going to wait to see what this announcement is from them.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Blizzard said:
If I recall correctly, there were one or two specific settings with Metro that can KILL framerate. Possibly tesselation, volumetric fog, dynamic shadows, and/or DX11 mode?

advanced dof is a performance killer unless u have a monster rig.

Whats up with the pricing of Titan Quest Gold?

13.33 USD in the US
9.99 USD (says so on steam) in AU
6.66 GBP in UK
6.66 € in rest of Europe

Seems like the price in € is the cheapest. Is it less anywhere else?

wutwutwut

Joe Molotov said:
Remember when Halo 2 and Shadowrun were Vista exclusive because of all those fucking awesome DX10 features that just wouldn't be possible on XP with DX9, and then hackers figured out that the game just did a check to see if you were running Vista, and if it not it wouldn't boot, and if you cracked the game to skip the check, it ran just fine? Good times.
Halo 2 and Shadowrun were never stated to have DX10.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm so conflicted about DR2: Off the Record. On one hand, I fuckin loved DR2 and I'm down for more. On the other, I don't want to give my money to Capcom. Tough call.

YianGaruga said:
Whats up with the pricing of Titan Quest Gold?

13.33 USD in the US
9.99 USD (says so on steam) in AU
6.66 GBP in UK
6.66 € in rest of Europe

Seems like the price in € is the cheapest. Is it less anywhere else?

Just wait for the daily this week, it'll be $5 for the gold version.

Tomodachi

Snuggler said:
I'm so conflicted about DR2: Off the Record. On one hand, I fuckin loved DR2 and I'm down for more. On the other, I don't want to give my money to Capcom. Tough call.
I never played DR1 nor 2, did I miss a party?
Too bad now I can't even get DR1 since my 360 died of E74 (out of warranty for a single month) and I've got no intentions of buying another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom