• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Snuggler said:
I'm so conflicted about DR2: Off the Record. On one hand, I fuckin loved DR2 and I'm down for more. On the other, I don't want to give my money to Capcom. Tough call.

wait for it to drop to $10 or $5 or something. dilemma solved.

Nabs

Tomodachi said:
I never played DR1 nor 2, did I miss a party?
Too bad now I can't even get DR1 since my 360 died of E74 (out of warranty for a single month) and I've got no intentions of buying another.
DR2 was great in Co-op. I picked it up during the Winter sale and played more than 20 hours of it.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
I'm so conflicted about DR2: Off the Record. On one hand, I fuckin loved DR2 and I'm down for more. On the other, I don't want to give my money to Capcom. Tough call.

change character skin + add a couple things = WHOLE NEW GAME give me 40 bucks

they are literally starting to do their Fighting game routine (release like 3 versions full price with added shit) onto other genres.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
change character skin + add a couple things = WHOLE NEW GAME give me 40 bucks

they are literally starting to do their Fighting game routine (release like 3 versions full price with added shit) onto other genres.

Yeah, it's pretty sleazy. That's why I don't want to support Capcom, even though I consider myself a fan of the Dead Rising series. I'll just take Stump's advice and wait until it's significantly cheaper.

plc268

So... Cities XL 2012.

After hearing of all the problems of the previous two iterations, I guess it's pretty safe to say this one will probably suck too?

Says you can upgrade from 2011 and 2011 keys are now registerable in steam. Anyone have any info how much the upgrade costs?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stumpokapow said:
wait for it to drop to $10 or $5 or something. dilemma solved.

Given Capcom's aversion to significant price reductions on the PC, he'll be waiting years. :p

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
MRORANGE said:
it's one of the worst pc ports ever made - you have been warned.
its not great but using the gentlemen of the row mod and tweaks its not that bad compared to console. Only thing I recommend is turning off HDR lighting so it gets rid of the ugly glow

MNC

So guys, what next steam feature other than comfy couch mode would we like to see?

Personally some kind of video recording feature or just more steam cloud features would be welcome.

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
So guys, what next steam feature other than comfy couch mode would we like to see?

Personally some kind of video recording feature or just more steam cloud features would be welcome.
Reliable offline mode that works when you boot your computer with no internet connection, for everyone. The ability to run Steam games without running the client. The ability to open a Steam web browser from the client without running the Steam overlay.

Steam Android storefront....../shrug I got nothing...I just want to see more publishers adopt steamworks with full integration or not even bother with DRM at all..

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Gameplay video streaming. I want to have my own Twitch.tv in the comfort of my Steam client.

Edit: Valve already has a system of sorts like that in HLTV, but you have to be in a specific game to watch footage. I want to watch a Dota 2 or CS:GO tournament by clicking something in the Steam client and having it take me to a stream page.

I'd like it if they could somehow detect that I have Chrome as my main browser and use the Chrome renderer for my Steam views. It's annoying that I have to install the standalone Flash application just to watch videos on Steam within the client when my primary web-browser has Flash built-in.

Exuro

Video recording/streaming for any game. Would be great to just jump in watching someone play x single player game and chat to him at the same time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
MNC said:

CUSTOM ICONS IN GRID MODE.

Also: I'd like to see them improve organization of games. It's kind of a pain to create and organize folders as of now, and when I log into Steam with my laptop, it gets reset on my PC. I want to see an easier and faster method of organizing and sorting games.

Video recording would be great as well. It would be more efficient than using fraps and uploading to youtube, and it would be cool to have the videos listed in my Steam profile.

Actually integrated video streaming would be awesome, sign me up for that too. Also, give us the option to set an uncompressed file-format for our screenshots and convert them to lossy formats when uploading to the community CDN.

Snuggler said:
CUSTOM ICONS IN GRID MODE.

Also: I'd like to see them improve organization of games. It's kind of a pain to create and organize folders as of now, and when I log into Steam with my laptop, it gets reset on my PC. I want to see an easier and faster method of organizing and sorting games.

How this is actually done remains a mystery to me.

Derrick01

Banned
MNC said:

I don't know if this counts as a feature but having the ability to buy steam gift cards would change everything for me. No longer would I be trapped with shitty gamestop gift cards that can only be used on steamworks titles.

MNC said:

My usual pet peeves:

In the library:
- let me use/define custom artwork for non-Steam games, for the grid and list views. Not just old Sucky McSuck windows icons
- let me add more info about non-Steam games, such as publishers, etc
- in the list view, let me have more display options (i.e. new columns): SP/MP/achievements, etc. Considering these are infos Steam tracks, they're already available, just not displayed.
- let me define a sorting order (through custom sorting names a la itunes for example). If only to have quake 4 after the other 3.

In the overlay:
- let me define for each game new shortcuts to sites pertaining to the game I'm playing. Typically, I'd like to be able to open a wiki for the game I'm playing in just one click from the overlay.
- in the same fashion, let me define a link to a PDF file, directly from the main overlay view. Typically, if a game comes with a digital guide or art book, it would be nice to open it in the overlay with only one click
- mostly covered by the first point but let me handle bookmarks in the browser. No opinion whether these should be shared across all games or managed on a per-game basis. Probably both, let me handle bookmark categories

These are absolutely superfluous, first world problems but that's mostly what I feel I'm missing in my Steam experience right now.

edit: Thanks Snuggler!
Someday, I'll have a nice KOTOR 2 grid icon. :)
(added the sorting option)

Derrick01 said:
I don't know if this counts as a feature but having the ability to buy steam gift cards would change everything for me. No longer would I be trapped with shitty gamestop gift cards that can only be used on steamworks titles.
This 100 times over. There are people who do not have Credit Cards/Debit Cards still in this world. If Sony and Microsoft can do it so can you Valve!

Blizzard

Banned
Good point -- being able to quickly write screenshots as BMP files (ala Fraps) and then convert them to JPG with configurable compression on upload would be really nice.

Salsa

Gift cards are coming people. They are gonna monetize the trading system, that's basically gift cards.

It'll probably work from the steam wallet, so ideally you'll be able to just trade a friend money in exchange of nothing. Just send 20 bucks to his steam wallet.

MOAR

- Implement back-button/bookmark friendly anchored links for the next/previous buttons on the chart lists. It's annoying to click through to the third page of the top-sellers, click a game then hit back and get taken to the first page of results.

- Create a popup version of the game-details view so that it doesn't turn off grid mode when you look at a game.

- Add arrow-key navigation to grid-view (this would be a temporary solution to make using Steam with a controller work better via JoyToKey/XPadder)

- Offline private-messaging, speaks for itself really.

- Video recording with direct publishing to YouTube. It's nice that we can link our accounts, now let's see them do something useful with it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Jim-Jam_Bongs/videos/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is really nitpicky, but I would like to be able to edit my Recommendation posts instead of deleting/reposting them because of a typo.

And I agree with mr. bongs about offline messaging. It's odd that it's not an option.

MNC said:

I'll tell you what I'd really like to see: The ability to enter my age into my Steam profile one time and never have to see a fucking "enter your birthday" age gate again. I get so tired of that shit.

Snuggles, before I forget; you said earlier you wanted your vids on your profile, you know you can link your YouTube account and they show up in Steam?

Also, this might not be to everyone's tastes but some form of tabs in the Store view.
I tend to browser by opening tabs when stuff interests me and if I see several games I'm interested in (during a sale for example), I'd like to open the store page for each game without having to navigate back to the front page between games.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'll tell you what I'd really like to see: The ability to enter my age into my Steam profile one time and never have to see a fucking "enter your birthday" age gate again. I get so tired of that shit.
This. The worst part is you somehow fuck up and select 2000 or something.
I had this happen to me while browsing to DLC for a game I already owned. The age gate annoyed me, I clicked too quickly and ended up locked out of the page for the game (I think I wanted to buy FO:NV DLC).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
Snuggles, before I forget; you said earlier you wanted your vids on your profile, you know you can link your YouTube account and they show up in Steam?

I didn't know that until I saw your post, I'm linking that shit right now.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Snuggler/videos
Almost all of my uploaded videos are from PS3 games, so I only have a cool Witcher video on my page for now.

Palette Swap said:
Also, this might not be to everyone's tastes but some form of tabs in the Store view.
I tend to browser by opening tabs when stuff interests me and if I see several games I'm interested in (during a sale for example), I'd like to open the store page for each game without having to navigate back to the front page between games.

Steam in general could almost fully support tabbed browsing considering it's mostly just loading web pages. I always get annoyed when I middle-click and it does nothing, which is why I generally use Steam in a web-browser when I'm digital window-shopping.

Snuggler said:
I didn't know that until I saw your post, I'm linking that shit right now.

I had no idea either, I was just flipping through Steam looking for inspiration for suggestions and I clicked the "video" link on my profile. My mind got blown.

Joe Molotov

plc268 said:
So... Cities XL 2012.

After hearing of all the problems of the previous two iterations, I guess it's pretty safe to say this one will probably suck too?

Says you can upgrade from 2011 and 2011 keys are now registerable in steam. Anyone have any info how much the upgrade costs?

It's 66% off ($13.49) if you own Cities XL 2011.

MRORANGE

Actually video recording is coming to steam, according to one person who visited valve HQ, although this was a few months ago and I'm not sure if it was for tf2 only.

Sober

plc268 said:
So... Cities XL 2012.

The shitty part isn't that it's an upgrade, it's that it isn't an engine upgrade. Unfortunately it uses the same engine so it's torturous as hell to play this game with a single core. I don't mind if SimCity 4 has to do it since it released before multicore processors were the norm or that it's mostly sprites.

This however, I would really only care if they could get the time to write a new engine so it can use current hardware better than it does now.

That being said, the upgrade model is something I like for yearly iterations; it's just not worth it for this game IMO.

Derrick01

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Gift cards are coming people. They are gonna monetize the trading system, that's basically gift cards.

It'll probably work from the steam wallet, so ideally you'll be able to just trade a friend money in exchange of nothing. Just send 20 bucks to his steam wallet.

You mean send money to his wallet via credit card or paypal right? One of the things about using gift cards is not having to use a CC anymore. That and being able to use all those amazon and gamestop gift cards on something other than steamworks games.

goodfella

I think the UI in general could use an update (from a visual standpoint), though I am not really sure how.

Maybe also the client could be a little more stable, sometimes it randomly crashes, but freezing while installing a game, starting a game and purchasing a game seems to happen almost every time.

It pains me to have deus ex human revolution in the middle.

SalsaShark said:

Salsa comes in and puts my worries to rest. Thanks!

Salsa

Derrick01 said:
You mean send money to his wallet via credit card or paypal right?

doubt it, its probably wallet-to-wallet.

no biggie since you can just charge your own wallet (through CC or Paypal) and then send the money.

coopolon

SalsaShark said:

How would this help people who don't want to use CC or paypal?

SalsaShark said:
doubt it, its probably wallet-to-wallet.

no biggie since you can just charge your own wallet (through CC or Paypal) and then send the money.
Yeah but some of us have family members that want to give us something more than money, and would never ever put any of their personal information near a computer. They buy us Best buy and gamestop gift cards. The physical cards. I need steam cards for them to buy me for chirstmas. Wallet to wallet stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

Salsa

coopolon said:
How would this help people who don't want to use CC or paypal?

SteveWinwood said:
Yeah but some of us have family members that want to give us something more than money, and would never ever put any of their personal information near a computer. They buy us Best buy and gamestop gift cards. The physical cards. I need steam cards for them to buy me for chirstmas. Wallet to wallet stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

oh you guys mean physical cards? :/ yeah, i dont see that happening at all. Retail is really minuscule in many of the countries Steam works with, and they never do anything nation-wide really.

Nabs

SteveWinwood said:
Tell 'em to grab you a (Vanilla) Visa Giftcard from the corner store. Works fine on Steam.

SalsaShark said:
oh you guys mean physical cards? :/ yeah, i dont see that happening at all. Retail is really minuscule in many of the countries Steam works with, and they never do anything nation-wide really.
But the USA is the only country that matters anyway just release it there ;)

Nabs said:
Tell 'em to grab you a (Vanilla) Visa Giftcard from the corner store. Works fine on Steam.
I really should start telling them to just do this. It'd be so much better.

nexen

Palette Swap said:
I picked the retail versions of both for something like 12€ and have yet to play RFA.
But honestly, if you're only interested in the SP campaign for Homefront, I'd say 15 is too much. It's short as hell and absolutely derivative of Modern Warfare. I haven't tried the MP so it might be another story though.
I'm actually (kinda) double dipping. I've played through the SP on both.
Homefront struck strong chord with me. I can see why it isn't for everyone but I really liked it.
RFA ... well I just kind of like blowing shit up on mars. What are you going to do?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nexen said:
Homefront struck strong chord with me. I can see why it isn't for everyone but I really liked it.
RFA ... well I just kind of like blowing shit up on mars. What are you going to do?
I thought RFA was fantastic. It was easily the best singleplayer in all of the series.

Homefront was solid, but it ended way to quickly. I dug the cheesiness of it.

Mr Sandman said:
Turn off DX11.
Sandman, i think his card only supports dx10.1. My advice play on dx9, still pretty enough.

If you had a dx11 card but a crappy one, the effects on the dx11 path are faster than dx10 but you'll need to turn of advance dof specially, tesselation hits but not that hard.

The first thing Steam needs is to have reliable offline mode, not the fucking BS we have now. The other suggestions are trivial in comparison.

Card Boy

Banned
I think i will wait for a $3.75 sale on Saint's Row 2, I already own the Warhammer/COH/Titan Quest/Metro games from that pack.

nexen

Stallion Free said:
I thought RFA was fantastic. It was easily the best singleplayer in all of the series.

Homefront was solid, but it ended way to quickly. I dug the cheesiness of it.
I liked RFG much better but thought RFA was a decent game.
Homefront though... certain moments in that game were so damn gut wrenching if you were bought into the setting and plot.
Was too short though, yeah. I was really hoping for Homefront 2 but Kaos is gone now :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom