• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
pa22word said:
Looks like DR2 OTR is coming to steam after all.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...1/28498583/Wheres_Dead_Rising_2:_OTR_on_steam

Guys I can say with confidence no part of the silence has anything to do with Microsoft or GFWL or any sort of conspiracy. We'll share more details soon. Please be patient.

Update: and it looks like we've got everything on track. You'll see.

And right after I just bought a copy on D2D... *sigh*

Yeah, I just came here to post that. Good news. Sorry you weren't patient lol

Waves is coming to Steam: http://youtu.be/HxxOdqKvnpA

It has Steam Achievements and Leaderboards.

What About The Full Game?
The full game of WAVES (coming very soon indeed) will contain:
5 Game Modes (including Crunch Time)
Online Scoreboards for folks with Steam accounts
Achievements, again for those with Steam accounts
Exclusive music from the enigmatic genius that is SMILETRON (http://www.smiletron.org/)
Squid says “No DRM!” Squid hates DRM; Devilish Rabbit ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s
An automatic place in the new government when Squid comes out of his box to lead the revolution, with your own banker to treat as you will
WAVES will be available from SquidInABox.com and on Steam for $9.99 in the very near future.
Squid says “Watch this space.” Squid likes space; he has friends there.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am interested in Waves. A lot of indie games of this type waaaaay overdo the visual mess, but this seems to keep everything discernible.

I might end up buying Titian Quest Gold this week if there is a sale.

PaulLFC

Looks like someone made a pretty significant typo on quite a lot of DLC:

pZjxr.png

:p

krpiper

Dice said:
I am interested in Waves. A lot of indie games of this type waaaaay overdo the visual mess, but this seems to keep everything discernible.

I might end up buying Titian Quest Gold this week if there is a sale.

I picked it up for $13.33

Ionic

bloodydrake said:
wait till Christmas instead of 33% off it will be 50 or 60% in all likelyhood

The pack is 50 percent off this week. It's the individual games that are 33 percent off.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
MNC said:
So guys, what next steam feature other than comfy couch mode would we like to see?

Personally some kind of video recording feature or just more steam cloud features would be welcome.
A proper "accessibility" mode, it's really annoying having to modify the conf file every time there is an update, and it never ends up being nice or consistent :/
I did send Gabe an email about this though
and got totally ignored ;_;

also, multiple categories and, more of a nitpick, but it'd be nice to be able to access the store pages of those games "unavailable in my region" that own because they were gifted or whatever.

Joe Molotov

Supreme Commander is 50% off today for some reason too. Decided to go ahead and pick it up (if it ends up being 75% off later in the week, oh well).

Sober

Hmm, don't really see much for the THQ catalogue except RFG since I passed on it last sale and maybe the FSW games ... do they even work on Win7? I even had trouble getting the demo to work on WinXP of all things a few months ago.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
PaulLFC said:
Looks like someone made a pretty significant typo on quite a lot of DLC:

pZjxr.png

:p
Wow that's a lot of extra decks.
I'll probably end up getting them all. Especially the Golgari deck, my favorite tribe from Ravnica.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I am not good at Mirror's Edge.

I was jumping too early for a while, like when you go between two buildings, but I'm getting better at that. My bigger problem is just recognizing what the game wants me to do since it feels like it forces me a few times. For example, earlier I died because I was running on an air vent and jumped to another one that was well within my reach, but the game wanted me to actually do the wall run to make it, so I couldn't grab the ledge on a standard jump.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Snkfanatic said:
I will be really temped by those dawn of war 2 games when they go on sale....maybe just wait for the holiday sale though.

I wish they would have a sale on the original Dawn of War games. I only ever played the original release when it came out. I never had a chance to play the expansions. I know there was a sale during the summer, but it wasn't much for how old those games are.

I was recently in the mood for a sim-style racer on PC and I've tried the big name ones but they're too hardcore for me. So I went ahead and bought Shift 2 Unleashed, and it's pretty good.
Nice graphics, sound, the presentation you'd expect from a NFS game, I really like it. Only smack I can talk about it is it crashed once and it doesn't overlay 360 icons on button prompts even if you have a 360 controller plugged in, it works, just no overlays. The first game had the same problem and people bitched about it, but they decided to keep it the same for some reason. Only $19.99 too, not a bad price.

I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a good sim-style racer that isn't too hardcore.

Man, I just can't get into Civ V Nights. First time I play Civ V in a few weeks and I dive right back into vanilla. I just don't like some of the changes made to the civs themselves (all of their bonuses/advantages are fairly similar, a lot of the unique advantages were done away with), the way barbarians are made a significantly greater threat, how you can't remove barbarian encampments until you get to the Middle Ages (IF you have iron ore) and hwo the technology tree is divided up.

The new, expanded policy track looks nifty and I like how you can choose between any style civ you want from the get-go but I haven't been able to play one full game with the Nights mod.

SmokyDave

Mechanized said:
I was recently in the mood for a sim-style racer on PC and I've tried the big name ones but they're too hardcore for me. So I went ahead and bought Shift 2 Unleashed, and it's pretty good.
Nice graphics, sound, the presentation you'd expect from a NFS game, I really like it. Only smack I can talk about it is it crashed once and it doesn't overlay 360 icons on button prompts even if you have a 360 controller plugged in, it works, just no overlays. The first game had the same problem and people bitched about it, but they decided to keep it the same for some reason. Only $19.99 too, not a bad price.

I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a good sim-style racer that isn't too hardcore.
Here you go, my good man.

Tested on mine and they work great. Sometimes it still says 'Press Enter To Start' but after that everything will look fine.

MNC

I have a Duke Nukem DLC Hail to the Icons pack. new multiplayer modes, maps and weapons! I think it's PC but apparently according to the site I can get the code for any of your platforms, so Xbox and PS3 as well. I dunno if it normally costs money, just got a mail.

Releases today on 14:30 and I'm giving away the code for a Dota2 key or a Dirt 3 key.

Or just the first person that gives me a neat drawing of HL2: EP3. Nothing too fancy. I like drawings 's all. :3

MRORANGE

one of the posters in Capcom Unity thread used this as a link to show that steam had a 51% share of the gaming market.

http://www.pressking.com/press-releases/Digital-distribution-giant-Steam-loses-market-share-to-Amazon-GameStop-and-Microsoft--003683

A study by the leading digital deal & price comparison portal Deals4Downloads.com revealed a 220 percent growth of the digital games market. While market leader Steam sees strong growth, it still loses shares to newcomers like Amazon and Microsoft.

The study, which was conducted over the past year by Deals4Downloads.com, revealed some interesting facts about the dynamics of the digital distribution of video games. According to the study "Market Shares of Digital Distribution Platforms in 2010-2011", the overall market of digital distribution saw a growth of 220%. This growth is attributed mainly to an increasing shift from physical to digital distribution. Additionally, traditional retail players like GameStop or Microsoft are making increasingly aggressive moves toward the new digital market.

The biggest new entry to the digital market though is Amazon, who made a strong push into the market with it's own digital distribution service that covers both PC and Mac video games. Amazon is followed closely by GameStop and Microsoft, which both launched their own digital distribution platforms, too.

Longtime market leader Steam is now facing more and stronger competition than ever. Steam itself shows a respectable growth of more than 150% but still loses more than 10% of it's market shares to it's new contenders. While Valve's digital distribution platform still holds a comfortable 55% of the market Amazon, GameStop and Microsoft grabbed 10% each on market entry, trailed by EA with 5%.

Most of the established independent digital distribution services like Direct2Drive (+34%), GamersGate (+63%) or Good Old Games (+54%) still managed to grow despite this market shake-up. With Desura, GreenManGaming, and Beamdog we even saw a couple of promising new indie download shops entering the digital market.

The biggest losers, including Bestbuy, Alienware, or Xfire seem to be download shops that didn't manage to find a unique positioning or failed to address the increasing price pressure due to growing numbers of download deals.

S1SyEdm2JHqSbuJa8HcgW3ifNosiwPPg11_o.jpg

S1SZJOQx8YqSAcH2YolaW9PumT4XbFYs70_o.jpg

this was from june 2011

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
someguyinahat said:
How about the ability to hide DLC and strategy guides from the store pages?

A search filter would be nice, yes.

Edit: Oh, there is one. Where have I been? Anyway, I don't have a problem with auxiliary items being on the store page seeing as the link to buy the game itself is always the top-most option.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MNC said:
I have a Duke Nukem DLC Hail to the Icons pack. new multiplayer modes, maps and weapons! I think it's PC but apparently according to the site I can get the code for any of your platforms, so Xbox and PS3 as well. I dunno if it normally costs money, just got a mail.

Releases today on 14:30 and I'm giving away the code for a Dota2 key or a Dirt 3 key.

Or just the first person that gives me a neat drawing of HL2: EP3. Nothing too fancy. I like drawings 's all. :3
Sorry, but the multiplayer is dead.

MNC

Stallion Free said:
Nope, so don't expect any offers. Plus, plenty of people are getting the codes.
Oh I'm not really wanting offers, I was jesting at the amount of Dota2/Dirt shit. I'm giving it away for free/a silly drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom