• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was getting the exact same error when trying to buy Sonic Generations from Green Man Gaming a little while ago. Here was the response support gave me:

I'd imagine you're probably encountering something similar. Try opening up a ticket with support and hope they'll honor the deal when they get back to you.

that's even worse, i'm basically being treated like a thief for no reason. fucking gmg, i'm not buying from them after this.

benjipwns

Banned
Green Man won't charge you, but from what I can tell since they're in the UK you can easily have issues with using some cards. You often have to get it approved by your bank/etc. even if you pass all the online authorization crap. Depends on who you card is with and such.

For me, once I approved them with the bank it was fine for good, but I still missed out on the weekend sale. (Bank wasn't open to take care of it obviously.)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
that's even worse, i'm basically being treated like a thief for no reason. fucking gmg, i'm not buying from them after this.

... Don't take it so personally, man. Their anti-fraud protection system is just a little overzealous apparently.

Green Man won't charge you, but from what I can tell since they're in the UK you can easily have issues with using some cards. You often have to get it approved by your bank/etc. even if you pass all the online authorization crap. Depends on who you card is with and such.

This is true, from my experience. When I first tried buying stuff from GOG, I had to authorize it with my bank to transfer the funds.

IMO there's very little point to making categories. Just having the basic list of installed games in alphabetical order works perfectly fine and is probably still the fastest way to find a game, even if you have a lot.

The point is not to make any one specific game easier to find. It is to better organize them into... categories. You know, like, categories. So they're grouped together. So, if I wanna, say, play some multiplayer game, but don't know which one I want to play, I just look in that category until I find one I'm satisfied with. Much faster than your alleged fastest way where I'm going to also have to scroll through a bunch of unrelated whatsits.

I own over 400 games. 60 of 'em are multiplayer.

But, you know, that's why it's optional.

epmode

Seriously. This isn't new information, and just shows have lame the anti-Origin hate is.

Very few companies have such a flawless record of fucking over anyone and everyone in short-sighted attempts to appease their shareholders. Being wary of an EA-owned store is absolutely justified and I question the sanity of anyone that says otherwise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, it's technically 2012 then, so in that case it won't go over 5 million before this year is over.

Unless we go back in time, taking current Steam users with us.

y1LOE.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's actually a good idea. I gave up creating sub-categories after they become lost in the void for the nth teen time, but an Arcade category sounds like it's worth the effort.
I agree, but people like to be meticulous in how they organize things.
I only use two custom categories: Indie Games and NON-Steam. I also use the Favorites list for games i'm playing right now/games I won't ever stop playing (like Skyrim, for instance).

Everything else is in the GAMES section, listed alphabetically. Back when Steam didn't have a SEARCH function, i'd understand creating massive amounts of categories. Now? Not so much, specially when the interface to do it sucks ass.

PaulLFC

Can't you use amazon gift e-cards to bypass that issue?
I'm not sure, to be honest. I just saw some people saying they'd managed to purchase Dawn of War outside the US, so I was just wondering how that's done, whether they have to get someone to gift the code to them, etc :)

luiztfc

So, guyses, I just can't take it and I have to buy Skyrim (even though I wanted to save some money). Where's the best place to buy it? I'd rather if it was Steamworks, but one can't have it all.

Narag

So, guyses, I just can't take it and I have to buy Skyrim (even though I wanted to save some money). Where's the best place to buy it? I'd rather if it was Steamworks, but one can't have it all.

Skyrim is steamworks wherever. You have to register it with Steam to play it.

JaseC

I'm still amazed that Skyrim is completely DRM-free. A fairly audacious move by Bethesda, to be sure.

JaseC

That's the only way you can play it, if it's Steamworks.

While you're required to activate Steamworks titles on Steam, the requirement of Steam itself to play the games thereafter is a decision left up to the developer/publisher. For example, as I mentioned earlier, Skyrim is completely DRM-free despite utilising Steamworks.

Some Steam games being DRM-free is hardly a recent development, but I think Skyrim may very well be the first Steamworks game to forgo DRM.

Forkball

Probably old news but Amazon is having a Black Friday deals week for digital downloads. Today Mass Effect 2 is $5. A bunch of other games are 50% off, including The Witcher 2 ($16). I'm sure a Steamworks game or two is in there somewhere. Scrounge here.

Scythian

I've been wanting Mass Effect 2 for quite a while, and the deal's really tempting, but I think I'm going to hold off until Christmas sale on Steam.

TheExodu5

Banned
Some Steam games being DRM-free is hardly a recent development, but I think Skyrim may very well be the first Steamworks game to forgo DRM.

Yeah, I was quite surprised that TESV.exe had zero DRM. I guess they realize that it's important when considering modding.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Fallout New Vegas didn't have additional DRM, right? And neither did Rage, if I'm correct.

coopolon

While you're required to activate Steamworks titles on Steam, the requirement of Steam itself to play the games thereafter is a decision left up to the developer/publisher. For example, as I mentioned earlier, Skyrim is completely DRM-free despite utilising Steamworks.

I'm not sure calling it DRM free is accurate. It requires Steam to install right? You couldn't just copy it to a disc, give it to a friend, and then let him copy to his computer and play it (edit: without first installing it via Steam again)? That is still DRM, just an incredibly reasonable kind.

Don't get me wrong though, not requiring the client to run is an excellent thing and I hope it becomes an increasingly popular trend.

Then again, if I'm wrong and you can just copy and paste it without having to reinstall, extra special kudos to Bethesda because that is very awesome.

JaseC

I'm not sure calling it DRM free is accurate. It requires Steam to install right? You couldn't just copy it to a disc, give it to a friend, and then let him copy to his computer and play it (edit: without first installing it via Steam again)? That is still DRM, just an incredibly reasonable kind.

Don't get me wrong though, not requiring the client to run is an excellent thing and I hope it becomes an increasingly popular trend.

Then again, if I'm wrong and you can just copy and paste it without having to reinstall, extra special kudos to Bethesda because that is very awesome.

You could do just that if you wished as the main executable isn't tied to Steam in any way. Obviously, without Steam running you lose the achievements and whatever else the game utilises of the Steamworks suite, but the game itself functions perfectly fine.

Anyone else notice Sins of a Solar Empire is finally on Steam? Came out the 16th it looks like.

25% off the Trinity version, so $14.99.

Still a little steep for me, but if it goes for cheaper during the Christmas Sale, I'll pick it up. Was always interested in giving it a shot when I first heard about it, but not being on Steam was kind of a motivation killer.

Aselith

Anyone else notice Sins of a Solar Empire is finally on Steam? Came out the 16th it looks like.

25% off the Trinity version, so $14.99.

Still a little steep for me, but if it goes for cheaper during the Christmas Sale, I'll pick it up. Was always interested in giving it a shot when I first heard about it, but not being on Steam was kind of a motivation killer.

$15 is too steep for one of the best strategy games released in recent years? Good gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom