• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Dammit!

Only US customers can get the downloadable version :/

I am Aussie and have bought heaps of 'US only' games from Amazon.

Just put 90210 CA United States in the Address line. You can have an alternate shipping address on file so you can switch between your real one and fake one.

Beware of buying 2K Games like Mafia 2 as you need a VPN. THQ games are safe.

Just put 90210 CA United States in the Address line. You can have an alternate shipping address on file so you can switch between your real one and fake one.

Yea, I actually have 2 addresses in my account, and I just use my non-real US address when they ask that. Shouldn't be any problem to put in a fake address.

I'm dumb, why didn't I think of that?! Thanks for the heads-up!

Got it :D

EDIT: Off-topic: Multi-quote and quick edit is awesome!

Oreoleo

I try a lot of times and i just dont like Stalker :(....some advice?

The first hour or so is notoriously difficult since all you have is a pistol really. I think I ended up playing through on one of the easiest difficulties and was still put to the test. There isn't really any advice to give other than to keep your head up. Once you get past the bridge and have picked up a rifle or smg (Oh, loot every dead body you find <- best advice) the game really takes off. The STALKER series is honestly my favorite FPS series at this point (or at least until HL3 comes out, but trust that when people say the game is awesome they aren't just blowing smoke up your ass), but I guess it isn't for everyone. And yeah, you should be using the Complete mod if you aren't already.

Pripyat is my preferred game in the series, but if you are having trouble getting into the original I'm not sure Pripyat does anything drastically different enough to change your mind.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I felt Pripyat was the better game as well (primarily why I recommend it), but I also felt it was a better way to ease yourself into these games. Not that 'Stalker' and 'ease' really belong together, of course, but it seems ... less harsh right off the bat? I love the series, but it can be complete and utter bullshit, especially as you start off. Pripyat wasn't toooo bad, at least in comparison to the others.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I felt Pripyat was the better game as well (primarily why I recommend it), but I also felt it was a better way to ease yourself into these games. Not that 'Stalker' and 'ease' really belong together, of course, but it seems ... less harsh right off the bat? I love the series, but it can be complete and utter bullshit, especially as you start off. Pripyat wasn't toooo bad, at least in comparison to the others.

Pripyat definitely wasn't as daunting as Shadow of Chernobyl. Enemies seemed easier to kill, and much less frequent in CoP, and supplies weren't quite as scarce. As a result, it feels 'safer' than SoC, but it's still an awesome game. I love both, haven't tried Clear Skies yet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The first hour or so is notoriously difficult since all you have is a pistol really. I think I ended up playing through on one of the easiest difficulties and was still put to the test. There isn't really any advice to give other than to keep your head up. Once you get past the bridge and have picked up a rifle or smg (Oh, loot every dead body you find <- best advice) the game really takes off. The STALKER series is honestly my favorite FPS series at this point (or at least until HL3 comes out, but trust that when people say the game is awesome they aren't just blowing smoke up your ass), but I guess it isn't for everyone. And yeah, you should be using the Complete mod if you aren't already.

Pripyat is my preferred game in the series, but if you are having trouble getting into the original I'm not sure Pripyat does anything drastically different enough to change your mind.

4 months from now, we'll be in the opening act of the Half-Life 3 announcement ARG.

Rockman-X

Neo Member

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Bought, Thanks!

Relax.MX

Yes i have the Complete mod(and look great), i like hard games, but i just dont have fun... im like 4 hours in..¿the game change or the rest of the game go for the same route?

Edit: Thanks to all, for the help...

Oreoleo

Yes i have the Complete mod(and look great), i like hard games, but i just dont have fun... im like 4 hours in..¿the game change or the rest of the game go for the same route?

Nothing really drastically changes, I'm afraid. Some of the areas in the second half of the game are more exciting than the low key outdoor areas you are in now, but the gameplay remains mostly the same aside from getting better weapons and armor. That in itself can make things less frustrating, but perhaps try to focus more on the exploration side of the game rather than the gun fights (even though they are pretty much forced upon you at certain points). To me, the strong point of the STALKER games is the sense of place and atmosphere that they provide, which goes back to the 2nd half of the game being more interesting as you get more big buildings to explore, never knowing what you are going to find. The tension that the game creates is what always drew me back. It may not be "fun" per se, in the way that Resident Evil isn't "fun," but I found it exhilarating, personally. So there you go.

Blizzard

Banned

Also, I heard that some of the underground sections are the scariest, so if you get a chance to try those before you stop it might be fun.

If you really aren't enjoying it though, you might just play other games. There are too many games in the world to play something you don't like, even if lots of other people like it and it is a good game. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone got a a few recommendations for a good co-op/multiplayer game that isn't an FPS besides Terraria/Magicka?
Dungeon Defenders seems pretty popular these days, but I haven't played it.

If you like DOTA games there are LoL, HoN, and DOTA 2 (if you're in the beta), but those can be huge timesinks that take tons of experience to be average at.

Narag

Anyone got a a few recommendations for a good co-op/multiplayer game that isn't an FPS besides Terraria/Magicka?

Heard good things about Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light if I remember right.. Dawn of War II has co-op as well and is $5 on amazon right now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Dawn of War 2/Chaos Rising/Retribution
Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light
Saint's Row 2 & 3
Renegade Ops
Resident Evil 5
Dungeon Siege 3
Titan Quest
Two Worlds 1/2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory/Conviction
Lord of the Rings War in the North
Portal 2

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One of my mates, who isn't all that into games, picked up the STALKER bundle a week or two ago and is loving Shadow of Chernobyl. That prompted me to give it a go, but then Skyrim got in the way.

Oreoleo

Alien Swarm?

Some more:

Beat Hazard
Trine
Trackmania
FUEL
Burnout Paradise
Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planewalkers 2011/2012
Puzzle Quest 1/2
Altitude
Plain Sight
Dead Rising 2
Street Fighter 4
Minecraft

One of my mates, who isn't all that into games, picked up the STALKER bundle a week or two ago and is loving Shadow of Chernobyl. That prompted me to give it a go, but then Skyrim got in the way.
He sounds like a smart and cool guy!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Quick question, any way for me to see how much I paid for Humble Bundles in the past without having to sort through my credit card statements? The amount doesn't show up in my emails like they do in the Indie Royale bundles or regular Steam purchases.
Nobody? Oh well. :(

Green Man Gaming can suck my dick. It's absolutely broken. I had to use some Master Card security code bullshit to finish paying for Deus Ex and it 404'd. Now reloading the home page has a hundred repeating "could not finish order, pls contact support derp" error messages. And I can't go back to the buy page. That site can go to hell.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Green Man Gaming can suck my dick. It's absolutely broken. I had to use some Master Card security code bullshit to finish paying for Deus Ex and it 404'd. Now reloading the home page has a hundred repeating "could not finish order, pls contact support derp" error messages. And I can't go back to the buy page. That site can go to hell.

Same thing happened to me when I tried to buy Skyrim. I didn't want to wait around all day, so I went to D2D instead. Maybe that makes me impatient, but at the very least I expect retailers to run a functional website.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
On your Humble Bundle page click on "increase amount", there should be the amount you paid after "Your current total" at the end of step 1.
Thank you. I didn't think to check that since I didn't think it would do anything once the bundle was over.

Peagles

Can anyone confirm if you get extra giftable copies when you buy the Super Meat Boy bundle? Team Meat says yes, Steam checkout says no, there's conflicting reports online and Steam support hasn't answered me.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, had an eye on Hydrophobia for quite a while, I'll trust my guts on this one rather than some high profile reviewers. Also the WTF is.. looked really interesting to me.

Bought!

I thought it was unique and kind of interesting, even the plot. But I didn't finish the game (I've only finished like, one singleplayer game this year). I will try to remember to report if I ever finish it.

I feel bad for spending ten minutes on the demo. That's ten minutes I could have spent banging my head against the wall.

Askani

New category for my Steam games:

O839R.png

That is all.

Scythian

Managing categories is such a pain... why can't we just drag the games into the categories we want? We also can't eliminate any category, and have to manually remove each game's category.
Please add this to the "update pending" list Valve.

Truespeed

Managing categories is such a pain... why can't we just drag the games into the categories we want? We also can't eliminate any category, and have to manually remove each game's category.
Please add this to the "update pending" list Valve.

That would make too much sense. My favorite is being able to only categorize one game at a time. You can tell UI design wasn't a priority when they created the Steam client.

DTKT

That would make too much sense. My favorite is being able to only categorize one game at a time. You can tell UI design wasn't a priority when they created the Steam client.

I think that Valve is extremely limited by how old the code is. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam is a nightmare to work with.

New category for my Steam games:

O839R.png

That is all.

I have a category entitled simply: "fuccccckkkkkkkk".

In it are Bad Rats and Gish because they're both so goddamn awful. I've considered adding that game you hate, too, because every time I played it, it made me want to rage. But at least it's still fun in multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom