• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

volturnus

Banned
SkyDrift is great, reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing flying tracks.
It plays great with a flight joystick too (I have a Logitech Force 3D Pro, and although the game doesn't recognize a few features, it feels great).

Silex

That's peculiar, you should be able to run TESV.exe (or whatever it's called) without the client running at all. I will have to check it again once I get home. Make sure you're not running the launcher executable though, which is the one that lets you change graphics settings etc. (if you run DRM-free I assume you have to manually edit the config files to change those settings)

You bought your copy direct from Steam rather than retail, right? It shouldn't matter either way though. I guess I'm confused since you talked like you hadn't bought it on Steam yet.

I was actually talking about World of Goo... Didn't get Skyrim yet. :(
And if they patched it out... Oh well. Could have been quite cool to have this option.

MNC

I can't install Bit trip beat at all. I keep getting the steam server busy error. Restarted Steam, restarted PC, deleted clienregistry blob. I don't know what's wrong.

Chesskid1

Banned
Why no preload for Batman or Serious Sam grr.

at least serious sam is okay with no preload. 4 gig download, bout 1 hr for a fast connection, prolly a few hours for a slower one. batman is 17.5 gigs, i thought i had a fast connection and that will still take forever.

as for rage, i see it dropping really fast like duke nukem. i don't have any evidence or whatever, i just group them as a similar game. 50% is pretty fast.

svegis

I can't install Bit trip beat at all. I keep getting the steam server busy error. Restarted Steam, restarted PC, deleted clienregistry blob. I don't know what's wrong.
I've had the same for a few days, I haven't been bothered about it since I haven't tried to play it, but it's still saying "Download starting..." after two or three days, says the content servers are overloaded. Might just be us or it might be the servers.

MNC

I've had the same for a few days, I haven't been bothered about it since I haven't tried to play it, but it's still saying "Download starting..." after two or three days, says the content servers are overloaded. Might just be us or it might be the servers.

It started a few days back, I couldn't start the game (while it was installed) so I tried to reinstall and now it stays stuck on the download starting as well. deleting content puts the game back in the uninstalled state if you'd prefer that, but nothing fixes it so far :/

svegis

It started a few days back, I couldn't start the game (while it was installed) so I tried to reinstall and now it stays stuck on the download starting as well. deleting content puts the game back in the uninstalled state if you'd prefer that, but nothing fixes it so far :/

At least we're not alone in this!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2237685

Skimming through it, on page 3 they seem to say that the devs fixed it, so it might just be a question of Steam pushing it out on the content servers.

Zimbardo

Yep. 50% sounds nice, but that's still $30. They need to drop the price to $30, THEN do a 50% off sale.

okay thx.

i actually had pre ordered RAGE on Steam so seeing it drop in price so quickly is a bit of a ball shot.

i played through it and enjoyed it a fair bit tho. was a good game, imo ...but $59.99 was a bit too much.

at least serious sam is okay with no preload. 4 gig download, bout 1 hr for a fast connection, prolly a few hours for a slower one. batman is 17.5 gigs, i thought i had a fast connection and that will still take forever.

as for rage, i see it dropping really fast like duke nukem. i don't have any evidence or whatever, i just group them as a similar game. 50% is pretty fast.

yeah i see it dropping quick too ...like today @ 50% off is kinda shocking so soon, but whatever. ya win some, ya lose some.

Rage is definitely better than Duke Nukem Forever, tho. that game was pretty bad. i bought it for $10 and i felt that no one should pay anymore than that price for it.

Vamphuntr

Was finally able to get Cold Fear. Steam has been broken for me lately. Often the pages fail to load in the client and I get a white page with the text written in default fonts like if the page has failed to load it's CSS sheet and Jscript. When I get this I can't add stuff to my cart as the link doesn't do anything. After hitting reload for a while it usually goes back to normal but it takes a while...

Gav47

I can't get my account online. When I start Steam it shows the "Steam Updating" box but then switches to the "Unable to connect to Steam" please check your internet connection etc etc.

Anyone else having this problem?

Vamphuntr

I can't get my account online. When I start Steam it shows the "Steam Updating" box but then switches to the "Unable to connect to Steam" please check your internet connection etc etc.

Anyone else having this problem?

Nope but I had something weird too.

When I connected to steam via the client it told me that I was not logged in so I hit the login button under the players connected graph and it asked me for a verification code they've sent in an email because I was using a different machine/browser but this wasn't the case at all ( I was using the same machine I used for steam since the summer). Checked my mail and applied the code anyway and now it seems fine.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I take it no pre-load for Arkham City?

Nope. So you'll have an 18gb download standing between you and the game.

I'm trying to decide between Saints Row 3 and Batman: AC for my next purchase. Batman is a bit more appealing to me, but at the same time I'd rather give my money to the guys who actually released their PC port the same day as the console versions.

Doomrider

First part is really good. The boat mechanics, atmosphere and effects where really good back then. I remember the second part being really less original but still enjoyable
Yeah, I've been reading about it and an
oil rig
definitely doesn't sound as interesting as a boat. I'm still interested, though =P

I'm trying to decide between Saints Row 3 and Batman: AC for my next purchase. Batman is a bit more appealing to me, but at the same time I'd rather give my money to the guys who actually released their PC port the same day as the console versions.

Well then at least I can download it while playing Skyrim.

Gav47

Gather round children and will tell you a tale.

I rarely fuck up when it comes to computers but this one is a doosey. As I posted above I was having problems connecting to Steam and getting it to update. To try and remedy this I decided to uninstall Steam to see if a fresh start would solve the problem having done this earlier on in the year on my laptop and it had only removed the Steam program files. Hands up if you know where this is going. So I proceeded to the control panel>uninstall a program, found Steam and hit uninstall. I clicked through the wizard, the uninstall began and I went about my business checking Gaf, email etc.
After about five minutes I checked back on the uninstall expecting to greeted with a shiny Finish button but instead it was still uninstalling. "That's weird" I though to myself it should have been finished by now, Steam's program files only amount to <100MB. So I decide to check the situation and open My Computer were I am greeted with a raised heart beat and a disgusting feeling of dread. My disk usage reads 515GB free of 931GB, it had previously been 201GB. I quickly cease the uninstall process and navigate to steamapps>common to find that the first folder in the window is no longer alice but instead mafia ii. 300GB on a 200kbs connection -_-

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ah man, that sucks. Now I'm gonna be afraid to even look at my Steam folder. I guess it's one of the downsides of the digital future.

Nabs

It looks like Batman has a midnight release now

wbf7upg.png

amrod

Saints Row 3 is amazing!

wilflare

man. can't wait for my exams to be over so i can be more active around here!
thanks Xenoflux for the copy of Oblivion! :D that will tide me over till Skyrim goes on sale! :D

Forkball

Not sure what high profile games will be on sale for the Black Friday Steam sale. Last year they had some really good indie bundles.

goodfella

Gather round children and will tell you a tale.

I rarely fuck up when it comes to computers but this one is a doosey. As I posted above I was having problems connecting to Steam and getting it to update. To try and remedy this I decided to uninstall Steam to see if a fresh start would solve the problem having done this earlier on in the year on my laptop and it had only removed the Steam program files. Hands up if you know where this is going. So I proceeded to the control panel>uninstall a program, found Steam and hit uninstall. I clicked through the wizard, the uninstall began and I went about my business checking Gaf, email etc.
After about five minutes I checked back on the uninstall expecting to greeted with a shiny Finish button but instead it was still uninstalling. "That's weird" I though to myself it should have been finished by now, Steam's program files only amount to <100MB. So I decide to check the situation and open My Computer were I am greeted with a raised heart beat and a disgusting feeling of dread. My disk usage reads 515GB free of 931GB, it had previously been 201GB. I quickly cease the uninstall process and navigate to steamapps>common to find that the first folder in the window is no longer alice but instead mafia ii. 300GB on a 200kbs connection -_-

I am sorry for your loss.

Peagles

Aww god damnit. Batman is still a few days away here.

Although it was the 26th it seems to have moved to the 25th so that's better than before I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom