• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to backup categories? I lost all my stuff two updates ago.

Yeah I have had the same problem many, many times. A kind soul in this thread told me there was a way.

Steam/userdata/[number]/7/remote/sharedconfig.vdf

The number is your Steam ID. There should only be one unless you use multiple accounts on the same machine. Back that file up. It stores the categories (among other things, I assume).

Ledsen

Here are mine:
Steamcat.jpg

Hey... we have almost exactly the same categories!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think that Valve is extremely limited by how old the code is. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam is a nightmare to work with.

They've already overhauled the code base once when going from the first iteration of Steam (circa 2003) to the current form (circa 2010).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Hydrophobia is up there with Alone in the Dark as one of the only games to make my physically angry. Avoid if you can.

Be sure and post again when you learn your lesson.

I feel bad for spending ten minutes on the demo. That's ten minutes I could have spent banging my head against the wall.

2 hours in and it's really, really fun :D Manages to transport that feeling of OMG WATER EVERYWHERE WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO really well, and while it has a LOT of technical issues (slowdowns, fps issues, crappy gunplay) it's honestly one of few really engaging games I played during the last few months. Glad I bought it and will definitely continue playing it, when I'm sick of Skyrim. Maybe even in between.
Also, for an indie title, it looks fantastic at times.

PaulLFC

For anyone outside the US who bought Dawn of War from Amazon, what did you do about your card billing address not being from the US? I assume a fake street address is fine, but billing details I'd think would have to match with those on your card - do Amazon not check them and realise they're outside the US?

I'm thinking of buying Dungeon Defenders, which is why I'm asking.

1-D_FTW

I'm curious, what do you have in your "NON-BEATABLE" category?

Probably just Arcade games that have unlimited playability and never get taken out of rotation.

EDIT: Or not. But if a game is truly un-beatable, I'd rather banish its existence and pretend it doesn't exist:)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Do they? Or do they simply have a user name reserved that can never be freed and applied to their master Origin name? Effing EA. Let me count the ways I hate thee.
Origin uses the EA account (user name and password) you have used for any of their games in the past.

I used to have nice categories like that until Steam froze one day. After I logged back in, it was back to massive stack of games again, which really killed my motivation for doing it again.

This has probably been said multiple times, but Steam really needs to improve the way of organizing and categorizing games. The fact that you can only add games one at a time through multiple clicks is just really poor user experience. It would also be nice to be able to just 'tag' games with a one or more tags and then be able to categorize your game by tag.

1-D_FTW

Origin uses the EA account (user name and password) you have used for any of their games in the past.

Only if they created a master EA account. If your creations were in-game creations that were treated as sub-accounts, then no. I had a bunch of sub-accounts when Origin released, but none worked because they weren't master accounts.

In fact, I didn't have a single master EA account. And when I tried to use one of those many sub-accounts as my Origin name, it refused on the basis of being in use... by me. But because they weren't master accounts, I couldn't transfer them as my master Origin account. They basically became orphaned by the process.

cantbeatthis.jpg

Mainly games I enjoy playing that more or less have no actual end goal. I guess you could "beat" outrun now that I think about it.

It's actually a good idea. I gave up creating sub-categories after they become lost in the void for the nth teen time, but an Arcade category sounds like it's worth the effort.

1-D_FTW

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VFHOOE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That Dungeon Defenders for 7.49 is a pretty good deal since it also includes the:

earn $5 to use on our best selling games of 2011 between January 1, 2012 and January 31, 2012.

So assuming you used that coupon, it's really only 2.50.

EDIT: Wait. Those Portal and TF items aren't pre-order exclusive? Definitely wait for the Holiday sale then. Portal gun looks pretty cool.

PaulLFC

For anyone outside the US who bought Dawn of War from Amazon, what did you do about your card billing address not being from the US? I assume a fake street address is fine, but billing details I'd think would have to match with those on your card - do Amazon not check them and realise they're outside the US?

I'm thinking of buying Dungeon Defenders, which is why I'm asking.
Anyone? :)

ArjanN

IMO there's very little point to making categories. Just having the basic list of installed games in alphabetical order works perfectly fine and is probably still the fastest way to find a game, even if you have a lot.

I need to buy something... Is Magicka any good in single player, or only really worth buying for the co-op? How about the DLC?

It's worth getting even for single-player, they recently patched it to make it less frustrating in single-player because that could be really hard without other people to revive you.

i'm trying to buy deus ex from green man gaming but getting errors

browser (chromium) tells me there are too many redirects and so it can't process the request. once i load up the gmg page again, it gives me error 747, saying i should contact support. but they don't work on weekends, which means losing the deal

i also tried logging in with firefox. it gives me a forbidden / 403 error in the page's header and i get a page with no content

i've checked the credit card to make sure i'm not being charged as well as not getting my game, but at least that seems to be working fine so far, since i see no charges

anyway, this is not a good impression to make, gmg

edit: doesn't work on opera either

It's worth getting even for single-player, they recently patched it to make it less frustrating in single-player because that could be really hard without other people to revive you.

Great, thanks for that. I think I'll leave the dlc and just get the base game, then maybe pick up Vietnam during a Christmas sale.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, I was getting the exact same error when trying to buy Sonic Generations from Green Man Gaming a little while ago. Here was the response support gave me:

Hi there, thanks for shopping with us.

It looks like our antifraud protection may have gone rogue and flagged you down randomly. I've set your account so that this should not be a problem for you again so if you're willing to try again now, it should work.

I'll be on standby for any further help you may need.

All the best,

Paul.

I'd imagine you're probably encountering something similar. Try opening up a ticket with support and hope they'll honor the deal when they get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom