• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So what are the chances of Skyrim being on sale either on Steam or via Steamworks retail key this week?

Hard to say. New Vegas wasn't discounted during last year's Thanksgiving sale (Edit: According to this, anyway) and the game released more than a month before the fact. However, Skyrim is performing far better - particularly on the PC - so it is possible that Bethesda will discount it somewhat, as I'm sure they're aware by now that nothing ignites more interest in a game than a relatively generous deal.

Edit: I'm referring to Steam in particular, by the way. I pay no attention to US retailer shenanigans. :p

MRORANGE

So what are the chances of Skyrim being on sale either on Steam or via Steamworks retail key this week?

your best bet would be Christmas, most likely only 33% off at best, considering how well it's sold, were not likely see this game dip in the bargain bucket any time time soon.

svegis

Is there a way to backup categories? I lost all my stuff two updates ago.

Yeah I have had the same problem many, many times. A kind soul in this thread told me there was a way.

Steam/userdata/[number]/7/remote/sharedconfig.vdf

The number is your Steam ID. There should only be one unless you use multiple accounts on the same machine. Back that file up. It stores the categories (among other things, I assume).

I tested it again just to be sure I gave you the right method, and people who say Steam keep track are right, too. I deleted the directory(well, moved it) and after restarting Steam my categories are still there. I didn't see any output in Steams' console but, it started at around 20 seconds which is the norm for me, so the sync was pretty good. Now, it might not sync up properly between multiple computers, so keeping a manual backup just in case, is what I'll recommend, to avoid this happening.
It's 152 KB large anyway, so I'm sure it won't steal much disk-space!

A thing that might be of interest in backing up is the config directory in [number]/, reading the vdf it saves the preferences of your Steam client. And the aliases of your friends, aswell.

Big-E

Looks like Steam Store just got blocked in China. Can't access the Steam Store but I am able to play my games. Checked the web browser version of Steam using a proxy and it worked fine so I am guessing that it is blocked for some reason. Hope this is only temporary as if I miss the holiday sale, I am going to be livid.

Looks like Steam Store just got blocked in China. Can't access the Steam Store but I am able to play my games. Checked the web browser version of Steam using a proxy and it worked fine so I am guessing that it is blocked for some reason. Hope this is only temporary as if I miss the holiday sale, I am going to be livid.

No problem here.
Try http://store.steampowered.com/

Works here, with China Unicom without using any proxy or VPN.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Valve would be pissed if it the Chinese Government decided to block it off, since Dota 2 is meant to be a big push in that market. I doubt they want to deal with the Chinese Government.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, when did Valve take out "Players I recently played with" as an option? Didn't use it to much, but it had its use.

SmokinDan

So, when did Valve take out "Players I recently played with" as an option? Didn't use it to much, but it had its use.

Should be under View>Players. I think they just moved it.

EDIT:
8xeIt.png

confused

Banned
So any word on when the deals start this week on Steam? I seem to recall them starting the week of Black Friday, but not the exact day.

Going through my purchase history I see a sudden spike in purchases around the 24th-25th of november which was a tuesday and wednesday. It could start tomorrow.

Blizzard

Banned
What about in the Mac version of WINE?
I'm afraid I don't know, but someone mentioned earlier on the page that Notch (Minecraft guy) was playing the game on a Macbook Air using Parallels. I don't know if that's free, and I'm guessing you don't have Bootcamp if you're asking, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to try assuming the Mac WINE version lets you install Steam.

Silex

But it doesn't require Steam to run. Hell, if you download a sid extractor you don't even need to use the Steam installer.

But that's only for the retail copy, right?
If I'll buy the game on steam it will still have the regular steam DRM, right?

Blizzard

Banned
You download the game from Steam like any other game, but then you can close the Steam client and run the game regardless of Steam. Is your concern that you don't want the Steam client running, or that you want to be able to back the game up and run it if Steam went out of business?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

No, it won't. The retail version is literally nothing more than the Steam version packaged and stored on a disc.

Silex

No, it won't. The retail version is literally nothing more than the Steam version packaged and stored on a disc.

You download the game from Steam like any other game, but then you can close the Steam client and run the game regardless of Steam. Is your concern that you don't want the Steam client running, or that you want to be able to back the game up and run it if Steam went out of business?

Not that much of a concern (I don't even mind steam's DRM). I'm just very surprised that Valve allows something like this, I thought the steam DRM is an integral part of steam.
So using the correct tools I'll even be able to install the game without steam? That's really awesome on Bethesda's part.

Blizzard

Banned
Not that much of a concern (I don't even mind steam's DRM). I'm just very surprised that Valve allows something like this, I thought the steam DRM is an integral part of steam.
So using the correct tools I'll even be able to install the game without steam? That's really awesome on Bethesda's part.
I rather doubt they intended people to be able to install it without Steam. But yes, I think there are a few games on Steam that don't actually require the Steam client. World of Goo might be one of them, since it was known for being released DRM-free outside of Steam.

stuminus3

Why no preload for Batman or Serious Sam grr.

On the subject, getting more money off for owning another game in a series = best pre-order bonus ever.

Silex

I rather doubt they intended people to be able to install it without Steam. But yes, I think there are a few games on Steam that don't actually require the Steam client. World of Goo might be one of them, since it was known for being released DRM-free outside of Steam.

Just tried to launch it and it was quite weird.
While I launched it by opening the game's EXE, the "Preparing game for launch" window of steam didn't appear. However when I closed steam, the game refused to launch due to some weird error.
I tried to launch Braid too (it also has a DRM free version, like most indie games) and it was similar - this time the game directly said that it needs to be launched from steam, although the regular steam DRM window didn't appear.

Looks like not that many games support this after all...

Blizzard

Banned
Just tried to launch it and it was quite weird.
While I launched it by opening the game's EXE, the "Preparing game for launch" window of steam didn't appear. However when I closed steam, the game refused to launch due to some weird error.
I tried to launch Braid too (it also has a DRM free version, like most indie games) and it was similar - this time the game directly said that it needs to be launched from steam, although the regular steam DRM window didn't appear.

Looks like not that many games support this after all...
That's peculiar, you should be able to run TESV.exe (or whatever it's called) without the client running at all. I will have to check it again once I get home. Make sure you're not running the launcher executable though, which is the one that lets you change graphics settings etc. (if you run DRM-free I assume you have to manually edit the config files to change those settings)

You bought your copy direct from Steam rather than retail, right? It shouldn't matter either way though. I guess I'm confused since you talked like you hadn't bought it on Steam yet.

Peagles

Really bummed they didn't do a preload for Batman....
LLShC.gif

Don't worry, it'll probably get delayed again anyway T_T

Doesn't unlock here until the 26th in New Zealand and our internet is so crap here that 200KB/s is the best I get from Steam. Looks like I'll be playing in December...

Blizzard

Banned
Ugh, right after we were having our discussion about Bethesda, they just forced a patch that stops you from playing the game without having Steam running. From the Skyrim PC performance thread:

From what I've gathered it has something to do with being able to play Skyrim without going through Steam, something they have apparently corrected now.

Yep. No more 4gb patch or anything else. Gives the usual steam 'encrypted' error if you patch it, and try to play.
So you can't patch the tesv.exe yourself for modding purposes, you can't play it outside of Steam if you want to avoid future patches, etc. Remember that the option to not automatically update a game in Steam will still force you to update the game if you try to play it.

I am considering backing up tesv.exe before I launch Steam the next time. :(

Don't worry, it'll probably get delayed again anyway T_T

Doesn't unlock here until the 26th in New Zealand and our internet is so crap here that 200KB/s is the best I get from Steam. Looks like I'll be playing in December...

Some people on the games official forum said they picked up a copy. This picture is from someone who got it at Target on Friday. Hopefully that means it was not delayed. We must stay strong!!

bac1d.jpg

coopolon

Ugh, right after we were having our discussion about Bethesda, they just forced a patch that stops you from playing the game without having Steam running. From the Skyrim PC performance thread:

So you can't patch the tesv.exe yourself for modding purposes, you can't play it outside of Steam if you want to avoid future patches, etc. Remember that the option to not automatically update a game in Steam will still force you to update the game if you try to play it.

I am considering backing up tesv.exe before I launch Steam the next time. :(

Hmm, wonder if there was anything good in the patch. I'm in offline mode right now. EVentually they'll actually patch it to fix things though and the backed up version won't be desirable. I guess until then I'll keep my offline expanded memory access.

Some people on the games official forum said they picked up a copy. This picture is from someone who got it at Target on Friday. Hopefully that means it was not delayed. We must stay strong!!

For me that means waiting 3-6 months for the game to drop to under $30. I'm only 48 hours into Skyrim, I should still have enough of that game to last me until then.

wutwutwut

Valve doesn't give a shit what devs do re Steam authentication. Devs are free to use it or not use it as much as they please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom