• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

Been waiting on cheap Bully for awhile now, so I couldn't resist.

I have to do better though. NO MORE GAMES RIGHT NOW! I already have more than I can play in a reasonable amount of time!

Someone will have to start talking me down from now on. I need a sponsor like AA.

Joe Molotov

The PC port was pretty bad when it first came out (plus it was like a year after the console release), but all the major bugs were patched out.

Scotch

I bought Bully last year and stopped playing after a couple hours. A lot of the gameplay mechanics in the game have not aged well. That said, for 2,49€ it's worth a try.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
People seem to be recommending Bully here but it's only got a 72 on metacritic. I'm torn on whether to buy it....

In terms of World Design it's second only to maybe San Andreas in the entire open world genre, in terms of story it probably is the best open world game ever, and it's tons of fun to fuck around in. Plus it's got some great in-game weather stuff so if you're a sucker for seeing the same areas in snowy winter and chirpy summer, play dat.

Berto

I was going to buy Bully, the price is great... but i already have it on Steam and i don't even remember buying it... Dat backlog sigh

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Bully wore out its welcome pretty quickly, here. Core game mechanics weren't that great, heavy emphasis on minigames to break things up, but the minigames weren't particularly interesting either. Strict scheduling windows for activities when you have massively accelerated base time is a major annoyance. Dunno how the world design is remarkable in the least.

Gav47

So it looks like Bully is quite a polarising game (ove and hate might be a bit strong, love and indifference perhaps). But with these responses and all the talk of it on the Bombcast I just have to try it out.
I also think this is the first time I've bought one of the daily deals, I thought my wallet was fucked when they were first introduced but they've been kinda lack luster.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bully wore out its welcome pretty quickly, here. Core game mechanics weren't that great, heavy emphasis on minigames to break things up, but the minigames weren't particularly interesting either. Strict scheduling windows for activities when you have massively accelerated base time is a major annoyance. Dunno how the world design is remarkable in the least.

The school stuff and the strictness of the the timing is toned down as you go through the game and by the half-way mark you're essentially not attending class anymore. The world design shines when you start actually spending time in town--when you're just at the school (pre-Winter) things are fairly limited. It takes a few hours to get over that hump, but I sort of felt like the game was still very much in introductory mode at that point so I wasn't burnt out at all.

Rufus

I guess I focused too much on missions, but I didn't really experience the city myself. It just meant I had to ride my bike farther to get to where I needed to be.

I can largely echo that. Also, I don't know whether you need to be from the US or not for the theme to work? I am familiar with the clichés (nerds vs jocks, etc, blabla), they just didn't work for me, apart from some neat lines. Jimmy is a massive idiot, too, which was kinda off-putting.

Great music though.

Definitely get Bully if you haven't, just played 2 hours and its freakin awesome, the sound track is amazing also.

Kind of disappointed I missed out on this back when it came out with me being such a big rockstar fan.

Chesskid1

Banned
yeah i got bored of bully pretty fast, when i unlocked the city you could go to (so maybe a couple hours?). it just wasn't that fun to me.

could people elaborate why many say it's the best rockstar game ever? maybe i'll revisit. i really agree with evillore.

daviyoung

Banned
could people elaborate why many say it's the best rockstar game ever? maybe i'll revisit. i really agree with evillore.

Don't think anyone's ever said it's the best Rockstar game ever, but it's definitely one of the most original, humorous and fun open world games I've played. It feels really fresh compared to GTA due to it being a different studio. Think of it as last gen's RDR.

Bully is the best thing Rockstar ever made.

body-harvest-box-art.jpg

People always forget about Body Harvest.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
yeah i got bored of bully pretty fast, when i unlocked the city you could go to (so maybe a couple hours?). it just wasn't that fun to me.

Well its the best Rockstar game I've ever played, but I don't claim its the best Rockstar game ever made critically.

I absolutely loved the games charm visually and aurally.
I honestly found Jimmy to be a fun protagonist for the most part and School Stereotypes and hijinks to be alot of fun. I guess I enjoyed the less psychopathic nature of the game as well. Slingshots vs shotguns, Stinkbombs vs Grenades.

I loved the seasons of the game in the same setting(Mafia II did this as well to great effect) it gave a better sense of time passing throughout the school year.
I think I plowed thru all the classes as soon as I could cuz I heard once they were done the strict time elements were eliminated and you could just run around and explore the town as you wish.

Relax.MX

I'm quite serious :| it's the closest thing you can compare the game too (except maybe combat), btw I think the early HP games were pretty good.

Really? wao, now i need to buy Harry Potter games, i loved Bully, very funny game...excellent music(and is original), great game...mmm now i want to buy it for PC :(

According to the Steam store page Assassin's Creed: Revelations has been released however in my library I can't proceed beyond pre-load complete. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Megasoum

Banned
So I bought Bully. The game runs "ok" I guess... I had to patch the exe to remove the 30fps cap and turn off all the FSAA to get a solid 60fps. That's kinda shitty considering it's mostly a PS2 game but whatever, it's running at 60 now so that's fine.

I do have a major issue with the controls however. I'm playing using a 360 pad. The game recognize it and put the right buttons on screen but the left stick controls are SUPER weird. For some reason I don't go full speed if I press forward. I run if I push the stick in any directions except up. For example, I had to run away from prefect early in the game and the only way I could do it was to run in zig-zag. If I went straight I would be super slow and get cought right away.

Anybody got that problem with the pc port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom