• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought sniper ghost warrior is amazing so far. It's like a b-game, not in a way where it just breaks and doesn't work, it all works but its just... bad. The only good part is the sniping. I have a blast with the bad ai and terrible rope physics. It's fun.

Yeah, I paid $5 for it earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised. If I'd known how much fun I was going to have I would've bought much sooner. I need to get around playing the DLC. Can't wait for the sequel.

Yeah, I paid $5 for it earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised. If I'd known how much fun I was going to have I would've bought much sooner. I need to get around playing the DLC. Can't wait for the sequel.

The parts where you're not sniping drive me up a fucking wall though. It makes it tough for me to get through. Oh here go and snipe some dudes and then have a shitty really easy stealth part, and then everything gets changed up as you now have a machine gun and go shoot up everyone on this oil rig. Why? It doesn't make any sense in the story (which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have no clue whats going on so far and its kinda fun that way, like a strange fever dream) but more importantly it just sucks. I'll get through it though. It's 10x better than duke nukem thats for sure.

But yeah its a blast when they say okay you can only shoot this one person in this trailer. And I'll shoot everyone in the level and the dude in the trailer and everyone else just stands there. It's hilarious. Also when you rappel anywhere the rope freaks out. At one point I had to swing across a canyon but instead of swinging I just sort of climbed the rope diagonally into the air until I just dropped to where I was supposed to be. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I'm definitely buying the dlc.

Edit: Already own the dlc apparently. Awesome.

Kwixotik

Bought Cthulhu Saves the World + Breath of Death VII today and downloaded X-Padder to use my SNES controller with them. Tried JoyToKey too. Both work as expected outside of Steam (they work in firefox, wordpad, etc), but stop working as soon as I open Steam or launch Breath of Death.

I assume it's a Steam issue. Any ideas?

The parts where you're not sniping drive me up a fucking wall though. It makes it tough for me to get through. Oh here go and snipe some dudes and then have a shitty really easy stealth part, and then everything gets changed up as you now have a machine gun and go shoot up everyone on this oil rig. Why? It doesn't make any sense in the story (which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have no clue whats going on so far and its kinda fun that way, like a strange fever dream) but more importantly it just sucks. I'll get through it though. It's 10x better than duke nukem thats for sure.

But yeah its a blast when they say okay you can only shoot this one person in this trailer. And I'll shoot everyone in the level and the dude in the trailer and everyone else just stands there. It's hilarious. Also when you rappel anywhere the rope freaks out. At one point I had to swing across a canyon but instead of swinging I just sort of climbed the rope diagonally into the air until I just dropped to where I was supposed to be. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I'm definitely buying the dlc.

Edit: Already own the dlc apparently. Awesome.

Haha, I love that! Like when there's two guys standing next to each other talking and you take one out, the other guy is still standing there doing the motions like the conversation is still going on.

But I agree with you about the parts that take you away from sniping, those were annoying. Hopefully that's toned down in the sequel.

Aselith

PC versions of Dungeon Siege 3, Deus Ex and Dead Island are all on sale for 19.99 today if anyone was looking to pick them up:

http://www.amazon.com/Outlet/b/ref=br_lf_m_409566_grlink_7?ie=UTF8&plgroup=7&node=409566

Also, that Thrustmaster joystick is really nice if anyone plays flight/space sims. I picked it up for X3 and I really like it although I haven't gotten a ton of use out of it due to not playing flight sims other than that.

Tomorrow is PC games day apparently.

derFeef

Uh hey Magicka: The Stars Are Left is out.
I am a sucker for everything Cthulhu - can't wait for after work and give it a try.

Nelo Ice

Banned
PC versions of Dungeon Siege 3, Deus Ex and Dead Island are all on sale for 19.99 today if anyone was looking to pick them up:

http://www.amazon.com/Outlet/b/ref=br_lf_m_409566_grlink_7?ie=UTF8&plgroup=7&node=409566

Also, that Thrustmaster joystick is really nice if anyone plays flight/space sims. I picked it up for X3 and I really like it although I haven't gotten a ton of use out of it due to not playing flight sims other than that.

Tomorrow is PC games day apparently.

Finally, amazon giving PC gamers some love.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Isn't the PC version of SR2 terrible? I remember reading it was an awful port

It was a terrible port, though the march of technology and fixes from the modding community may have alleviated a lot of those problems.

Why the hell are Steam download speeds so erratic. One day speeds will be blazing fast, the next day its like i'm back in 1999. For example I downloaded game last weeks at 5MB/sec, a game yesterday at 3-4MB/ec but now today its going at about 300KB/sec All from the same Steam server.
I'm wondering if everything is stroed/propogated on all the local servers. I had two games downloading. One was going at full speed. The other would be 30kb/s at most, even when I paused the other one. It was kind of crazy to see 600 megabytes download faster than 60.

Qatar

What? It was. I'm not saying it wasn't fun, but the game was over before I knew it.

In case you didn't know, people have created a lot of awesome maps for Portal 1, some of them are even better and more challenging than the original game, the one that is worth noting is Portal: Prelude. A huge mod for the game, feels like a dlc that should cost $10

KKRT00

Guys, my friend lend me an account with Witcher 2 and i dont know if installing it, will affect my games from my original account. Will be there any conflict or it will work based on logged account? For example i have Skyrim on my account and Witcher 2 on second account, when i login to my account, i can start skyrim, but cant witcher. And when i log into the other account, its otherway round, right?

Mairu

It's probably the worst PC port ever, but it's so old now that it actually runs on modern computers.

Is it worth playing after SR3? I never played SR2 but if the port actually runs well enough on a current system (I have a i5-750 & gtx 460) and the game is worth going back to even after SR3 then I'll check it out, SR3 is amazing.

Eusis

It's probably the worst PC port ever, but it's so old now that it actually runs on modern computers.
I'd say the worst MODERN PC port. We dig back into the late 80s/early 90s I don't doubt there'll be a few outright abominations that make SR2 look like an example of porting excellence. Street Fighter 1 is an example I believe, though it doesn't help the base game was wretched too.
Is it worth playing after SR3? I never played SR2 but if the port actually runs well enough on a current system (I have a i5-750 & gtx 460) and the game is worth going back to even after SR3 then I'll check it out, SR3 is amazing.
A lot of people have liked SR2 more in some ways, plus SR3 came off as a more focused game compared to (what I played of) SR2, so I'd say go ahead and give it a try. Perhaps wait on the Steam holiday sale though, in case they decide to sell it at 75% off so you can get it for $3.75 if you're in the US.

oipic

Guys, my friend lend me an account with Witcher 2 and i dont know if installing it, will affect my games from my original account. Will be there any conflict or it will work based on logged account? For example i have Skyrim on my account and Witcher 2 on second account, when i login to my account, i can start skyrim, but cant witcher. And when i log into the other account, its otherway round, right?

Yep, that's correct - no harm can be done using multiple accounts on the one PC, so enjoy some quality Witcher 2 time. :)

Haven't used steam in ages, so coming in this thread to check for sales.
I won't buy everything I see. I'm determined.

Mairu

I'd say the worst MODERN PC port. We dig back into the late 80s/early 90s I don't doubt there'll be a few outright abominations that make SR2 look like an example of porting excellence. Street Fighter 1 is an example I believe, though it doesn't help the base game was wretched too.

A lot of people have liked SR2 more in some ways, plus SR3 came off as a more focused game compared to (what I played of) SR2, so I'd say go ahead and give it a try. Perhaps wait on the Steam holiday sale though, in case they decide to sell it at 75% off so you can get it for $3.75 if you're in the US.

Of course~! I rarely buy anything nowadays unless it's on sale. Thanks for the tip, I think I'll get it during the holiday sale if it's got a good discount.

UrbanRats

I have an i5-750 and a 5850 and i run it fine (with some drops here and there).
The game is still a lot of fun and crazier than 3, but the production value is far lower, graphics are shit, the driving is worst and the shooting is crappy, too.
It's got more stuff to do than 3, but everything is less polished, so it depends on your priorities, i guess.

Aselith

I have an i5-750 and a 5850 and i run it fine (with some drops here and there).
The game is still a lot of fun and crazier than 3, but the production value is far lower, graphics are shit, the driving is worst and the shooting is crappy, too.
It's got more stuff to do than 3, but everything is less polished, so it depends on your priorities, i guess.

Just kidding? Saint's Row 2 is way crazy compared to wait GTA has become maybe but it's definitely not crazier than SR3. http://deckers.die is crazier than the entirety of SR2.

amdnv

It's pretty bad. Just imagine repeating the 30 minutes you played over and over and over and over and over again the rest of the game.
Except that's not true at all. The game has plenty of memorable unique moments. After having played the first two games I still have several scenes from AC1 stuck in my mind, and not a single one from the second game. Also, the whole atmosphere and environment of AC1 are just awesome.

More than half the things that repeat in this game are optional, so if you stick to the main story there are enough mission types to not get you bored before it's over: intimidate, pickpocket, rooftop race, stealth assassination, archer stealth assassination, flag race, merchant stand destruction, eavesdrop.

MNC

Is there any way to see if a game uses steam cloud saves without looking in list view? I hate switching back and forth everytime to see if I can safely remove a game.

fuckyeahfirstpostnewpage.gif

Is there any way to see if a game uses steam cloud saves without looking in list view? I hate switching back and forth everytime to see if I can safely remove a game.

fuckyeahfirstpostnewpage.gif

Right-click > Properties > Updates?

There should be a section about Steam Cloud there if the game has it. Or possibly check the store page.

MNC

Right-click > Properties > Updates?

There should be a section about Steam Cloud there if the game has it. Or possibly check the store page.

That all takes more than switching to list view. I want some kind of icon on the page!

Also, games that don't use steam cloud saves have steam cloud in updates too. ie. Company of Heroes.

Quote for Humble Introversion Bundle Key (Darwinia, DEFCON, Uplink, and Multiwinia)

FYI, I used the multiplayer key of Multiwinia to get the source codes of the games. Don't know if that is important to play the game as I don't have it.
I only used it to register for the access, so if it works, I will send it to who wants it

UrbanRats

Just kidding? Saint's Row 2 is way crazy compared to wait GTA has become maybe but it's definitely not crazier than SR3. http://deckers.die is crazier than the entirety of SR2.

Not kidding, i still have to finish Saint's Row 3, but i guess "crazy" wasn't the right term there.
So far the impression i got, is that SR3 is more focused, polished and spectacular, SR2 (again, so far) seemed more absurd and random, the lack of polish in SR2, felt like total absurdity to me; like the first mission
where you go rescue Gat from the court room, and the Judges are attacking you with shotguns:
it's all very messy and silly, animations, graphics, reaction to bullets and so on.. just strange and crazy, that's what i meant.
What i'm trying to say is: SR3 is like Lynch, controlled absurdity; SR2 is like a foreign indie experimental mess, which is part controlled absurdity and part simply lack of vision (that adds to the absurdity).

That said, i'm liking SR3 far better than 2.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I picked up Bully on an earlier sale based on GAF constantly praising it and absolutely hated it.

It's got all the issues of last gen Rockstar GTA games, so if those don't rub you the right way then skip Bully.

1-D_FTW

I picked up Bully on an earlier sale based on GAF constantly praising it and absolutely hated it.

It's got all the issues of last gen Rockstar GTA games, so if those don't rub you the right way then skip Bully.

It's actually the only "last gen" Rockstar game that I finished (or came close to finishing for that matter).

But I guess it depends how juvenile you are. When I snuck into the girl's dormitory, tried hitting on the hottie, and she kneed me in the groin, I was hooked.

And no matter how juvenile it is, I would pinch the secretary's butt everytime I passed the principal's office and then run like mad. Made me crack up every time. I know, I'm a simpleton.

And coming full circle, I later snuck into the girl's dormitory, started making out with the same hottie, and the house mother caught us. She was just stomping her foot waiting for us to break it up. And instead of busting me, the hottie got pissed, kneed the mouse mother in the groin and took off. The house mother took off chasing her and left me free to continue my delinquent ways. That made me crack up.

I thought the game was very funny (but it's probably just me.)

Really? I could've sworn I've heard otherwise...

If I remember right, Stallion Free has posted the 60fps fix before.

And other than that, the game runs flawless IMO. It's obviously an older game and it's not next-gen pretty, but it's a huge improvement over the console versions.

Yuripaw

Banned
I always loved what I played of Bully, and been looking for an excuse to pick it up. This might be it...

Is the PC version of Bully alright though? Does it work fine with an xbox 360 controller?

GAF praise is one of the reasons I picked this up last year but I have yet to play it. For some really odd reason, everything I have seen of the game reminds me of the Sega CD game, The Adventures of Willy Beamish.

I loved Willy Beamish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom