• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
You should get extra "points" toward winning the 10 Wishlist games if you actually buy the game that is on sale. :D
I'm guessing that might fall afoul of some sort of "no purchase necessary" rules or laws which are why so many sweepstakes seem to include that line.

*edit* Actually it wouldn't. I don't know why they don't do that except that people might get annoyed at the tactic. If they gave credit to people who already owned the game it could work. Or, if they required you to own the game in order to say, get some sort of achievements, that could work.

They should make you get some sort of points for achievements which you could redeem for items to eventually earn some sort of squid hat, thus making people both buy games AND play them. That'd be novel!

Askani

Again thanks Snuggler for been a super helpful guy man.

What are you guys talking about winning the games on your wishlist?

Everyday there is a new Daily Deal. If you log in through the website or your Steam client, then visit the specific game page for the Daily Deal, you get entered into a drawing. If you are chosen as a winner, you get the top 10 games in your wishlist for free. You are automatically entered by visiting the page while logged in and you can get in one entry everyday until the Christmas sale starts.

Question about the daily deal today: Can I gift a Terraria 4 pack to 4 different people if I already own the game? Or do I have to buy the single edition instead if I want to gift all of them?

Derrick01

Banned
Holy shit this is kind of a big deal...

"Steam Workshop" Coming for Skyrim

Yeah this could be huge. When I got into PC gaming I wanted Steam to have something like a mod center. Yeah I've learned that getting mods into Bethesda games is pretty easy, but not all games are that easy. It'd be cool to just hit a button and have Steam place the mod in the right place and the right order (while being able to manually edit them yourself too of course)

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah this could be huge. When I got into PC gaming I wanted Steam to have something like a mod center. Yeah I've learned that getting mods into Bethesda games is pretty easy, but not all games are that easy. It'd be cool to just hit a button and have Steam place the mod in the right place and the right order (while being able to manually edit them yourself too of course)

The bolded is a key part. One problem with Steam and modding that was highlighted recently with Skyrim is that you CANNOT both play a Steamworks game from Steam and avoid updates. Forced game updates can break mods. In Skyrim's case, it added DRM that wasn't even there originally and apparently caused several people problems until they reverted the files.

I seem to recall that one of the popular GTA4 mod authors got ticked off at game updates breaking the mod as well, with mandatory Steam updates.

Askani

The only higher priced game I moved into my Top 10 that wasn't already there was Saints Row 3. Traded From Dust's spot for it.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Bastion
L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition
Batman: Arkham City™
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity
Might & Magic ® Heroes ® VI
Stronghold 3
Saints Row: The Third
Costume Quest

My ten:

1) Jurassic Park (hey, I can get it for free)
2) Portal 2
3) Bastion
4) AC1
5) AC2
6) Dungeon Defenders
7) Drakensang: River of Time
8) Drakensang
9) Monkey Island: Special Edition
10) Fallout: New Vegas

How did I do, GAF?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My ten:

1) Jurassic Park (hey, I can get it for free)
2) Portal 2
3) Bastion
4) AC1
5) AC2
6) Dungeon Defenders
7) Drakensang: River of Time
8) Drakensang
9) Monkey Island: Special Edition
10) Fallout: New Vegas

How did I do, GAF?

The problem with your list is that the games are pretty cheap. I've seen many of those on sale for $10 less. I'm gonna fill my top 10 with expensive games so if I'm chosen, I can win big.

The problem with your list is that the games are pretty cheap. I've seen many of those on sale for $10 less. If somehow you do get chosen in the drawing, it would be smart to fill your top $10 with newer/full priced games.

That's true, and it is tempting, but I'm unemployed.

Argonis

This is great. Hope I win. Here's my top ten.

1. The Witcher 2
2. Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition
3. Batman: Arkham City
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
5. Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity
6. RAGE
7. Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
8. Magicka
9. Dead Island
10. Anon 2070

My top 10

1. The Witcher 2
2. AC: Brotherhood
3. Morrowind
4. Darksiders 2
5. The Missing Link
6. Sonic Generations
7. Saints Row: The Third
8. Serious Sam 3
9. Train Simulator 2012
10. AC: Revelations

I think I choose some great games.

Rufus

We could compile a survey from all these list memes.

No, I was saying that I don't have the money for ten $10 games.
Hence you can't put expensive games in the top 10 so in case you win them, you'd have games you could afford even less than those 10$ games? I don't follow.

We could compile a survey from all these list memes.

Hence you can't put expensive games in the top 10 so in case you win them, you'd have games you could afford even less than those 10$ games? I don't follow.

Hence he's putting games he wants in the top ten so in case he wins them, he'd have games he wants? What's not to follow.

Luigi87

Reorganizing my wishlist (I kept it fairly up to date, so it wasn't much of an issue), I didn't realize that Civ 5 GotY Edition can't be added to the wishlist.

I know, I know. I just assumed you'd wanted something more recent as well, but if that's not the case then that's fine, too.

The lulzy part is that I did have a job up until Thanksgiving. I was stupid and bought both Skyrim and AC:R because I thought I'd have work until New Years.

I remember when seasonal used to mean seasonal, and not just "specific holidays".

Relax.MX

My Top TEN:

1.- Skyrim
2.- Batman: Arkham City
3.- Saints Row: The Third
4.- Dota 2
5.- Dead Island
6.- Darksiders 2
7.- Rage
8.- Metro Last Light
9.- Call Of Duty MW3
10.- Sonic Generation

Gabe...please :( please!! XO

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202011-12-02%20%C3%A0%2009.33.13.png

Oh Gabe :)

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the appeal of DOTA, and especially DOTA 2. Can't you just play the mod already?

The trouble with the mod is that it's dominated by people who have been playing it for a decade, so it can be extremely difficult for newcomers to learn let alone master. I've always been really interested in playing it but got too discouraged by sucking and not feeling like I'm improving at all. Also, DOTA 2 is quite beautiful to look at.

On that note <3 <3 <3 to shintoki, can't wait until I'm back home and I can start DOTA-ing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom