• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the appeal of DOTA, and especially DOTA 2. Can't you just play the mod already?

If you own Warcraft 3 and the Frozen Throne expansion and have balls the size of Voltron's fists to deal with the oily black souls of the DOTA community still playing on Battle.net, yes you can totally still just play the mod. :)

Psi

I take it that putting an unreleased game that I can't preorder in my wish list would be a waste since I couldn't buy it anyways?

Oh well not like I'm going to win.

mrgone

I take it that putting an unreleased game that I can't preorder in my wish list would be a waste since I couldn't buy it anyways?

Oh well not like I'm going to win.

If you can add it to your wishlist and do end up winning you'll get a copy of the game when it's released, from what I understand

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you can add it to your wishlist and do end up winning you'll get a copy of the game when it's released, from what I understand

I'd like to know if any of last year's winners had then-unreleased games on their wishlist.

Edit: Ah, it's right there in the T&Cs:

Steam said:
Prizes. The winners will each receive the top ten (10) games on their Steam Wishlist at the time of the drawing. Unreleased games will be delivered to the winner at the time of their release. Prize value is the purchase price of those games at the time of the drawing. Prizes are not assignable or transferable. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. The winner is solely responsible for any taxes applicable to the prizes.

mrgone

I'd like to know if any of last year's winners had then-unreleased games on their wishlist.

I think at least one guy who actually posted about winning mentioned not getting one of games because it was unreleased. I don't think anyone followed it up, though :eek:

Here's the section of the contest rules about it, anyways:
Prizes. The winners will each receive the top ten (10) games on their Steam Wishlist at the time of the drawing. Unreleased games will be delivered to the winner at the time of their release. Prize value is the purchase price of those games at the time of the drawing. Prizes are not assignable or transferable. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. The winner is solely responsible for any taxes applicable to the prizes.

Relax.MX

Blocks that Matter and Recettear are really great...

Relax.MX

Why Dota 2 though? Aren't we all expecting it to be f2p? Did I miss something?

Ah, bummer. :/

...Beta key...is my call...:( but well,

1.- Skyrim
2.- Batman: Arkham City
3.- Saints Row: The Third
4.- Dota 2 :(
5.- Dead Island
6.- Darksiders 2
7.- Rage
8.- Metro Last Light
9.- Call Of Duty MW3
10.- Sonic Generation
* .- Alice

JaseC

I think at least one guy who actually posted about winning mentioned not getting one of games because it was unreleased. I don't think anyone followed it up, though :eek:

Here's the section of the contest rules about it, anyways:
You can read in the rules here: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/dailywishlishtgiveaway
that unreleased games will be given to you once they release.

Yeah, I noticed that soon after posting; I just hadn't refreshed the thread. :p Thanks, though.

JaseC

...Beta key...is my call...:( but well,

1.- Skyrim
2.- Batman: Arkham City
3.- Saints Row: The Third
4.- Dota 2 :(
5.- Dead Island
6.- Darksiders 2
7.- Rage
8.- Metro Last Light
9.- Call Of Duty MW3
10.- Sonic Generation
* .- Alice

I approve of your list, for it contains the second-best FPS this generation as well as the most underrated and under-appreciated game of the year.

Tenck

While you guys put expensive games in your list, I put worthwhile games that are cheap, so when Gabe looks at my list, his wallet will be happy.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I guess I should update my wishlist then. I think I'd rather have a CS:GO beta key though.

Chesskid1

Banned
i hate that new envelope thing they added to steam! looks so out of place.

i will buy alice next time it goes sub $15. will appease jasec.

Derrick01

Banned
It's about the same length or so. Last year's seems to have started on the 20th as I check my purchase history because I remember the prince of persia's were on the 1st day and I bought them on that day, and it ran until the 2nd.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just finished Bastion (6.4 h gameplay). As of right now, it'd be #1 on my GOTY list. I can't fully articulate why because I do actually have some issues with the gameplay, but I hope to get some time to put down some thoughts. It's a very special game and a breath of fresh air and if you're on the fence, well, definitely consider buying it.

Aselith

Guys! There's an expansion for Shogun 2 coming out that could be added to your wishlist. Also, Shogun 2 if you don't already have it. Just sayin!

JaseC

RAGE fanboy!

:p

Just spreading the true word! ;)

What? He's obviously talking about MW3.
He was talking about MW3

Teeheehee

Edit: Snuggler stole my joke!

Oh, you two!

i hate that new envelope thing they added to steam! looks so out of place.

i will buy alice next time it goes sub $15. will appease jasec.

It will also cleanse your soul, for I hear all those who purchase Alice receive a free pass to Heaven.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The trouble with the mod is that it's dominated by people who have been playing it for a decade, so it can be extremely difficult for newcomers to learn let alone master. I've always been really interested in playing it but got too discouraged by sucking and not feeling like I'm improving at all. Also, DOTA 2 is quite beautiful to look at.

On that note <3 <3 <3 to shintoki, can't wait until I'm back home and I can start DOTA-ing :D

Its the reason why I was waiting to get in also. Tried to go back on WCIII and never got into a game. Saw download map in a noob game, kicked and cussed at. HoN was a bit difficulty for me to look at. DOTA2 on the other hand has a very easy look to it. For someone like me who can't play certain games due to visual problems(Either they cause physical strain to my eyes or I can't make it out). Its very easy and clear for me to understand what is going on.

Playerbase has been pretty good so far too, though I seem to be a bit more skilled than other noobs I'm getting paired up with. Heh. You'll do fine.

General Christmas sale talk.
Don't think I'll be buying much. Own most of what I wanted a lot, and only a few hold outs remain.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Just finished Bastion (6.4 h gameplay). As of right now, it'd be #1 on my GOTY list. I can't fully articulate why because I do actually have some issues with the gameplay, but I hope to get some time to put down some thoughts. It's a very special game and a breath of fresh air and if you're on the fence, well, definitely consider buying it.

Wonderful game. The story/soundtrack/narration combo managed to affect me somehow. Looked beautiful and I never felt like it dragged, seemed just the right length. Probably was my GOTY for like a month after I played it.

So... more games to add to my already huuuuuuge backlog :/
When I was younger I had a lot more time to play games but a lot less money to buy them, now I can buy games but I have a lot less time to play them, just great!
/rant off

Someone bring up the Winter is Coming.jpg. You buy them now, so you can theoretically play them when the world goes to shit. Also, I'm sort of a Pavlov's dog when it comes to steam sales.

Derrick01

Banned
I was just doing a full malwarebytes scan and for some reason splinter cell chaos theory was infected with something called rogue.securityshield. I got rid of it with MB and deleted the game off of my computer with steam but I don't know why that was infected, I've had it on here for months and through countless scans and nothing ever showed up.

Anyone know anything about that?

Its the reason why I was waiting to get in also. Tried to go back on WCIII and never got into a game. Saw download map in a noob game, kicked and cussed at. HoN was a bit difficulty for me to look at. DOTA2 on the other hand has a very easy look to it. For someone like me who can't play certain games due to visual problems(Either they cause physical strain to my eyes or I can't make it out). Its very easy and clear for me to understand what is going on.

Playerbase has been pretty good so far too, though I seem to be a bit more skilled than other noobs I'm getting paired up with. Heh. You'll do fine.

My eyesight really isn't fantastic these days either, so I know what you mean about the visual design and clarity. The latter is one of the things I love about Source, really crisp texture filtering and anti-aliasing just makes it all pop wonderfully. This is probably going to be surprising but I found Starcraft 2 quite busy compared with videos of DOTA 2, though it's generally very clear and easy to interact with compared with most RTS.

Can't wait!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
My eyesight really isn't fantastic these days either, so I know what you mean about the visual design and clarity. The latter is one of the things I love about Source, really crisp texture filtering and anti-aliasing just makes it all pop wonderfully. This is probably going to be surprising but I found Starcraft 2 quite busy compared with videos of DOTA 2, though it's generally very clear and easy to interact with compared with most RTS.

Can't wait!

Mine's slightly different(Not just poor eye sight). I've mentioned a few times were certain games I can't physical play due to it, recent was Sonic generations where the colours and blur are too much for them to handle. It induces pain and causes headaches for me. Heh. Its odd to describe, I have zero problems with it in Vanquish, but Sonic Generations I couldn't play for more than a few minutes.

Which is why I always prefer very clean games. DOTA2 is perfect.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks to today's update, I've fallen back into the throes of Terraria addiction. They added a ton of new stuff to the game. I wiped my 50 hour save and restarted with a fresh character, and there is so much to do...tunnels to dig, minerals to pick, monsters to slay...so much for finishing any more games by the end of '11. I'm off the wagon.

It's a lot of game for $2.50. Buy it if you haven't already, jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom