• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moobabe

Just finished Bastion (6.4 h gameplay). As of right now, it'd be #1 on my GOTY list. I can't fully articulate why because I do actually have some issues with the gameplay, but I hope to get some time to put down some thoughts. It's a very special game and a breath of fresh air and if you're on the fence, well, definitely consider buying it.

The Eurogamer review that's quoted on the Steam page articulated pretty well how I feel about it; the use of a narrator is incredible. Though it'd be unfair to pick a weakest element to the whole experience I'd agree that the gameplay is pretty shallow. Even so it's easily top 5 for my this year - and the soundtrack is simply incredible.

Davidion

The Eurogamer review that's quoted on the Steam page articulated pretty well how I feel about it; the use of a narrator is incredible. Though it'd be unfair to pick a weakest element to the whole experience I'd agree that the gameplay is pretty shallow. Even so it's easily top 5 for my this year - and the soundtrack is simply incredible.

The gameplay is, for the lack of better words, plain and a bit slow. Normally it wouldn't be as big a deal but I think having this juxtaposed over the whole narrator dynamic and the rather gorgeously creative looking world it just feels jarringly antiquated.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It would be nice just to know the time. Like if it happened and then all 10 winners went away for the winter and couldn't confirm that they won until 3 months later.

TjruJ.jpg
Nice.

Moobabe

The gameplay is, for the lack of better words, plain and a bit slow. Normally it wouldn't be as big a deal but I think having this juxtaposed over the whole narrator dynamic and the rather gorgeously creative looking world it just feels jarringly antiquated.

I'm not sure how jarring I found it - though I agree the potion spamming, left mouse bashing was a bit much at times. But simply judged as a vehicle to progress the rest of the game I thought the gameplay was ok, but nothing more.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It would be nice just to know the time. Like if it happened and then all 10 winners went away for the winter and couldn't confirm that they won until 3 months later.

At least from the contest rules it sounds like the winner will be contacted within 48 hours (probably the very next day, but they probably say 48 because of the weekend):

Winners. Sponsor will select ten (10) winners from eligible entrants each Day by random drawing conducted within forty-eight (48) hours of the end of the applicable Day. Sponsor will contact each winner via email to the address registered to the winning Steam account. The decision of the Sponsor will be final and binding in all matters.

dc89

Holy crap, I downloaded Brink and thought lets give this a go since it looked a really nice idea before it launched.

Uninstalled after 5 minutes. :(

Fox318

The problem with your list is that the games are pretty cheap. I've seen many of those on sale for $10 less. I'm gonna fill my top 10 with expensive games so if I'm chosen, I can win big.

Go Big! Put all the Trainworks DLC on your wishlist.

That's like $40,000!

MNC

I was just doing a full malwarebytes scan and for some reason splinter cell chaos theory was infected with something called rogue.securityshield. I got rid of it with MB and deleted the game off of my computer with steam but I don't know why that was infected, I've had it on here for months and through countless scans and nothing ever showed up.

Anyone know anything about that?

I think it's the godawful DRM they use. Or was that called star... something....

Sober

I think it's the godawful DRM they use. Or was that called star... something....
Starforce? I thought they got rid of that for Steam. I still have a boxed copy from week 1. GOD that shit was horrendous.

Not if you have it on whatever Impulse is called nowadays and have to buy it again to get it on your game list for real. :(
Didn't "SoaSE Retail" show up in the Steam registry? Doesn't that kind of imply Stardock gave Valve their CDKey bank so people could redeem their copies from their pre-steam days? Or is that just if you bought a DD version elsewhere, it is redeemable?

Starforce? I thought they got rid of that for Steam. I still have a boxed copy from week 1. GOD that shit was horrendous.

Didn't "SoaSE Retail" show up in the Steam registry? Doesn't that kind of imply Stardock gave Valve their CDKey bank so people could redeem their copies from their pre-steam days? Or is that just if you bought a DD version elsewhere, it is redeemable?

According to the 3rd drm list site they did remove starforce via a patch for the steam version.

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah but I've had it there for months, don't know why malwarebytes would pick up on it now after dozens of scans.

Well I took the game off of my computer and took care of whatever that was. So far nothing else has shown up so I think (hope) I'm good now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shogun 2 is like 27 gigs. :/

That's well over one-tenth of my former monthly quota. Even though I now have to pay for Usenet access, moving from $80pm/200GB to $70pm/Unlimited is the best decision I've ever made.

Edit: Both plans limit(ed) me to 8Mbit/384Kbit, though, but since I've long ditched torrents and my distance from the exchange precludes me from syncing at anything more than ~7.5Mbit down, I'm not bothered. That said, I'll be jumping on the NBN as soon as possible.

Edit: Come on, Valve. We're in need of the next Daily!

Daily is Dungeon Siege III - $20.00 ($49.99)

Still a tad too high.

Moobabe

I bought Demigod when it was on sale from Impulse a while back and its fun. Nobody was playing it but it was fun.

First MOBA game I have ever played.

Yeah I own Demigod as well - hopefully a Steam release would get a fresh bunch of players in - I really like some aspects of it compared to the standard DOTA formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom