• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

Didn't "SoaSE Retail" show up in the Steam registry? Doesn't that kind of imply Stardock gave Valve their CDKey bank so people could redeem their copies from their pre-steam days? Or is that just if you bought a DD version elsewhere, it is redeemable?

That'd be cool, I've got retail copies of both GalCiv 2 and SoaSE that I wouldn't mind adding to Steam. With all the expansions they've added to both, though, it might end up being easier to just re-buy them during a sale :p

1-D_FTW

That new Terraria trailer looks so great. I really need to finally boot this game up. Loaded it once since I purchased for that 2.49 price mistake.

Is it like Civilization in space?
It's BETTER!
Best TBS game on steam now possibly. GalCiv2 Ultimate and Civ4 Complete are basically equal.

You better underline how fucking amazing the AI is in the game.

Oh don't worry. AI is front and center. I think it will be mostly based around that amazing cvg diary from a few years ago that I think really shows how amazing the ai is. It has blown me away so many times. I try to go back to civ 5 and its like i'm playing a bunch of mentally handicapped kids. WAR no wait, um DENOUNCE no i hate you WAR hey we should be friends.

PaulLFC

Didn't "SoaSE Retail" show up in the Steam registry? Doesn't that kind of imply Stardock gave Valve their CDKey bank so people could redeem their copies from their pre-steam days? Or is that just if you bought a DD version elsewhere, it is redeemable?
It did indeed, although when I tried activating my Impulse copy, it didn't work. That was over a week ago though, and things get added to the registry before they go live, so it might just not be ready yet.

Spl1nter

Oh don't worry. AI is front and center. I think it will be mostly based around that amazing cvg diary from a few years ago that I think really shows how amazing the ai is. It has blown me away so many times. I try to go back to civ 5 and its like i'm playing a bunch of mentally handicapped kids. WAR no wait, um DENOUNCE no i hate you WAR hey we should be friends.

Ya I honestly cant play civ5 because of the AI. The AI ruins the game's replay ability.

inky

Canadian. :(

If someone would be willing to buy it for me and PM me the code, I'd be thankful (it is Steamworks, IIRC?). I'd Paypal you the cost, obviously.

Can't you just use a US address? I've done it before.

Shogun is tempting, but I have like 5 gb of free space and not even that many games installed =/

Speaking of which, when are HDD prices supposed to be normal again? My Steam HDD is already getting too loud.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can't you just use a US address? I've done it before.

Shogun is tempting, but I have like 5 gb of free space and not even that many games installed =/

Speaking of which, when are HDD prices supposed to be normal again? My Steam HDD is already getting too loud.

From the website of my preferred local PC hardware store:

Updates from manufacturers and suppliers indicate that pricing and supply issues of HDDs is not expected to ease until Q2 2012.

Is Galactic Civilization II easy to get in to?

I should say that my only experience with this type of game is with Civilization 5, which I've enjoyed but only played about 30 hours of. Will I be able to pick up and play GalCiv 2 decently? Or does it at least have some sort of good tutorial that will get me comfortable with the game?

I like the idea of these type of games, but they can seem very overwhelming and complex at first and I'm unsure if I'll need to put in tons of hours just to grasp the basics.

I should say that my only experience with this type of game is with Civilization 5, which I've enjoyed but only played about 30 hours of. Will I be able to pick up and play GalCiv 2 decently? Or does it at least have some sort of good tutorial that will get me comfortable with the game?

I like the idea of these type of games, but they can seem very overwhelming and complex at first and I'm unsure if I'll need to put in tons of hours just to grasp the basics.

If your only experience is civ 5... then maybe. If you had played civ 4 (little less streamlined) I would have said go for it right away. If you think you'll like it by all means try it. It might take a little effort to get into, but in my opinion its like 90% mindset for these types of games. Also I had a manual, which wasn't half bad in explaining things. I don't think the steam version has a pdf or anything...

It's not the simplest thing ever thats for sure, but has alot of help with managing things like shipbuilding so it makes it a little less daunting. Do you like what you've played of civ? Do you like space? It's 15 bucks, give it a whirl.

Looking back at those last two paragraphs... that was terrible. I'll do better in my gal civ appreciation thread.

EDIT: Wow sportbilly saving the day. There ya go. A demo. I had no clue that existed. Also that website is still so dated.

Thanks SteveWinwood & Sportbilly! I'll check out the demo when I get off work today. While I never played Civ4, I did really enjoy what I played of Civ5. And I love space stuff, so hopefully the demo gives me a good impression.

Aselith

It's complex like all 4x but it isn't too bad. I'd recommend playing vanilla to start off to keep the complexity down til you get basics then move to Twilight after that.

Stardock won, Impulse lost. He seems to be confusing the two.

There is literally no reason for me to ever sign into my impulse account ever again (When Demigod and Sins come out on steam that is).

EDIT: Well then.

derFeef

Oh hey, Portals. In Magicka.
466cd2c1.jpg

So how bad is Dungeon Siege III?

Far from bad, pretty good in my opinion. I played it solo only because everyone has made an opinion about it before it came out (like you did obviously). My guess is it is even better in coop, like Stall said.

Mrbob

Is this old? Defense Grid getting Portal themed DLC on Dec 7:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/71366/defense-grid-getting-glados-infused-dlc-december-7

Defense Grid: The Awakening is getting its first story expansion next week, December 7. Titled "Defense Grid: You Monster," the downloadable content will feature GLaDOS from the Portal series. It will cost $4.99 on Steam or 400 MSP on Xbox 360, and requires the original game to play.

The expansion consists of eight new levels and 35 challenge missions, facing off against both aliens and GLaDOS' tests. Hidden Path claims it packs new achievements and a whopping 15 hours of playtime. Plus, the studio released the free Community Challenge update today, with improved UI, more than 30 new challenge missions, and five new game modes.

Only $4.99, I'll be buying it. Love Defense Grid. Guessing the main game will be a daily deal on Dec 7!

So how bad is Dungeon Siege III?

My summary from the South Park RPG announcement thread:

Dungeon Siege 3 was an inoffensively mediocre game, it's not going to rank up there with my favourite stuff from this year by any means but it's also not something I regret buying (5 times at last count).

Loot? Not really. It's fairly pedestrian.

However, the combat is fun and the writing is spectacular for a dungeon crawler (though still mediocre compared with other RPGs). It has some great looking environments and it showcases the Onyx engine really well, though it could have done with a high-res texture pack for PC. I'd say it's worth grabbing on sale if you feel like 8 - 10 hours of hacking, slashing and listening to NPCs sternly saying JEYNE KASSYNDER.

epmode

So it looks like the Ultimate Edition of GalCiv 2 comes with the expansion packs pre-installed. ..but is there any way to play a vanilla non-campaign game? You know, as though none of the expansions had been installed. This was possible with the Sins of a Solar Empire release but I don't know about this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom