• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it amusing that people in this day and age have to rage about downloading big updates. Guess that's what happens when you can't get FiOS with no bandwidth limits.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I find it amusing that people in this day and age have to rage about downloading big updates. Guess that's what happens when you can't get FiOS with no bandwidth limits.

This is what happens when my apartment complex takes 3+ weeks to fix my Ethernet port, and I am stuck on an iffy wireless connection. My bandwidth is really low right now, a steam download can make it take a solid 20 or 30 seconds for a web page to load. The game has installed more in updates then the initial install in less then a month.

Aselith

So I like history books, play EUIII, grew up on Cohort: Fighting For Rome, I'm not burned out on feudal Japan as a setting, and I have $5 credit on Amazon...I should get this shouldn't I? Never played a Total War game before.
For sure. It's a great game and it is fucking gorgeous if you have the hardware to push it hard.

Blizzard

Banned
On a normal cable modem around here, it's 1.1 MB/second. When you get sudden 900MB updates (in the case of Dungeon Defenders), that can saturate your bandwidth for a bit, making everything else suck.

And for it to download even with updates disabled, WITHOUT Kirby even launching the game? That's surely a bug with Steam. :/

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

There's nothing really amusing about it. The US government gave the telecoms money back in the late 90s and early 00s to wire the country for high speed internet. The deadline came and went about two years ago and no one even bothered mentioning it.

As amazing as it sounds, there are people that only live an hour or two outside major cities whose fastest connection to the internet is satellite. It's crazy. It's a shame. It should be a crime to take money for something then fail to deliver it.

flowsnake

So it looks like the Ultimate Edition of GalCiv 2 comes with the expansion packs pre-installed. ..but is there any way to play a vanilla non-campaign game? You know, as though none of the expansions had been installed. This was possible with the Sins of a Solar Empire release but I don't know about this one.

I swear there used to be a way to do it on the splash screen, but they seem to have removed it in the recent update.

Edit: I have separate executables for the base game and each expansion, but I don't have the Steam version.

Neiteio

Guys, I'm downloading DC Universe for my little brother to play on my PC. However, I just want him to have access to Steam and DC Universe, nothing else on the computer. I use Windows 7 and currently just have my normal system account. Is there a way to create a second user account, and enable it so just Steam is accessible to him on it, so I don't risk my little brother mucking up my work files in My Documents, etc?

MRORANGE

Guys, I'm downloading DC Universe for my little brother to play on my PC. However, I just want him to have access to Steam and DC Universe, nothing else on the computer. I use Windows 7 and currently just have my normal system account. Is there a way to create a second user account, and enable it so just Steam is accessible to him on it, so I don't risk my little brother mucking up my work files in My Documents, etc?

windows 7 can let you create multilple user accounts it's up to you if you want to give him privilege's or not: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5261/beginner-geek-add-a-new-user-account-in-windows-7/

Xena

Dungeon Siege III has been on my wishlist for a while, but $20 is still a bit steep for this game. I'll wait for better deal on that one!

I have my games separated into categories. Saw the game section pop up and thought I had won the 10 wishlist sweepstakes. Then realized it was only a Brink free weekend and got depressed. Way to build the hype steam.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, Defense Grid just downloaded a 216MB patch and there's nothing. No notes, no news.

What is this?

Mrbob

From the shack news story:

Plus, the studio released the free Community Challenge update today, with improved UI, more than 30 new challenge missions, and five new game modes.

Haven't had a chance to take a look myself.

Aselith

So it looks like the Ultimate Edition of GalCiv 2 comes with the expansion packs pre-installed. ..but is there any way to play a vanilla non-campaign game? You know, as though none of the expansions had been installed. This was possible with the Sins of a Solar Empire release but I don't know about this one.

Right click it and look for a launcher option. In the Impulse build, it starts in a launcher that has a "switch chapter" button that switches between the expansions. I would assume that the Steam version either starts in that launcher or at least has an option in the right-click menu.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'd really like to try DS3 but I don't think I can convince any of my friends to cough up the $20 and bro-op it with me. Oh well, hopefully it'll be cheaper at the end of the month, can just gift it then or something.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steampunk goodness! I really liked the look of the game. Have you played the DLC? Hope it has some new nice environments.
Nabs and I got sidetracked with Titan Quest before it came out, but we will get to it eventually. We still gotta beat the TQ expansion too lol.

Keasar

Is it okay to have a quick give-away in the thread? Cause I realised I have two Steam keys from the Humble Introversion Bundle lying around that I dont need since I already own the games on Steam. First two who quote and pick a unique key each gets them, so you can only get one of these.

First key: Darwinia, DEFCON, Uplink, and Multiwinia (multiplayer keys included)
Second key: Crayon Physics Deluxe, Aquaria, and Dungeons of Dredmor

Edit: And they are gone.

Aselith

Is it okay to have a quick give-away in the thread? Cause I realised I have two Steam keys from the Humble Introversion Bundle lying around that I dont need since I already own the games on Steam. First two who quote and pick a unique key each gets them, so you can only get one of these.

I'll take the first key. More games for the game throne!

MRORANGE

too slow, once again the kpop/snsd thread has taken me away from winning something.

Narag

Wouldn't mind the second.

epmode

Right click it and look for a launcher option. In the Impulse build, it starts in a launcher that has a "switch chapter" button that switches between the expansions. I would assume that the Steam version either starts in that launcher or at least has an option in the right-click menu.
Doesn't work. And I still can't find anything in the in-game options. I hope they just overlooked it since I really don't want to reinstall Impulse.

edit: I can find a launcher in the GalCiv 2 Steam folder but it doesn't have an option to switch chapters either.

jgminto

I've got spare keys for Cthulhu Saves The World and Breath of Death VII.

Quote and ask for either and I'll PM them to you.

[EDIT] Only BoD VII left.

[EDIT 2] Gone

Weenerz

Banned
Enjoy these lurkers;

Breathe of Death VII - CFJ27-CZ3NT-6ABBI
Cthulhu Saves the World - D4FYZ-M8LXD-F38K0
Eufloria - E4XIR-MWM56-PENKV

Aselith

Doesn't work. And I still can't find anything in the in-game options. I hope they just overlooked it since I really don't want to reinstall Impulse.

edit: I can find a launcher in the GalCiv 2 Steam folder but it doesn't have an option to switch chapters either.

Weird and there aren't separate executables for the different versions or anything?

epmode

Weird and there aren't separate executables for the different versions or anything?
I double-checked and the separate executables are actually there. Look for galciv2.exe for vanilla and GC2DarkAvatar.exe for Dark Avatar.

A launcher option would be a lot nicer than this though!

Aselith

I double-checked and the separate executables are actually there. Look for galciv2.exe for vanilla and GC2DarkAvatar.exe for Dark Avatar.

A launcher option would be a lot nicer than this though!

No doubt, I'm surprised they didn't just keep that launcher front end to make that easy to do.

DiscoJer

There's nothing really amusing about it. The US government gave the telecoms money back in the late 90s and early 00s to wire the country for high speed internet. The deadline came and went about two years ago and no one even bothered mentioning it.

As amazing as it sounds, there are people that only live an hour or two outside major cities whose fastest connection to the internet is satellite. It's crazy. It's a shame. It should be a crime to take money for something then fail to deliver it.

An hour or two? I live 30 miles south of St. Louis and satellite is all I can get.

(Okay, you did say major city, but we're still in the top 30)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
An hour or two? I live 30 miles south of St. Louis and satellite is all I can get.

(Okay, you did say major city, but we're still in the top 30)

Man, if I could send you some internet in exchange for some ribs I would.

chewydogg

I recently restored my HDD from a back up, now Steam doesn't see my saves. I know where they are, but how do I get Steam to recognize them? (39 hours into Skyrim, 49 into The Witcher 2 it would suck to start over)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom