• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got a question about Titan Quest. I played the demo and it doesn't have a 720p option, which I would like to use since the UI is tiny at 1080p. Did they ever add 720p to the full game?

Echoplx

chewydogg said:
I tried to play The Witcher 2 and I get a Steam pop-up telling me it needs to convert it into a more efficient format. Now it seems to be downloading the entire game again. What's happening?

I'm 20 hrs. into the game, I hope I'm not going to lose my save...

Steam have been updating their content servers recently to allow for faster and more efficient downloads, this helps games like The Witcher 2 that always have huge patches due to it's data structure.

Your saves will be fine.

JADS

chewydogg said:
I tried to play The Witcher 2 and I get a Steam pop-up telling me it needs to convert it into a more efficient format. Now it seems to be downloading the entire game again. What's happening?

I'm 20 hrs. into the game, I hope I'm not going to lose my save...

It is doing the same for me. Downloading 9GB

Dice said:
Got a question about Titan Quest. I played the demo and it doesn't have a 720p option, which I would like to use since the UI is tiny at 1080p. Did they ever add 720p to the full game?

Yeah, I played it at 720 or 1360x768.

Echoplx

Already asked in the gifting thread but want to get this done before I crash, anyone in the US willing to gift me DNF? I have paypal ready to go.

EDIT: Done.

chewydogg

MNC said:
I think it's the different file system which makes patching much, much easier in the future. I think your saves will be fine.

Steam have been updating their content servers recently to allow for faster and more efficient downloads, this helps games like The Witcher 2 that always have huge patches due to it's data structure.

Your saves will be fine.

Thanks. I was worried for a sec.

By the way, anyone that has purchased TQ Gold should just start up the expansion and not the base game. It's similar to Diablo 2 LOD in that it contains all the content from the original with all the new additions from the expansion.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ClosingADoor said:
Why do I get that message also. Someone tell Capcom the Netherlands is not a province of Germany...
Everyone gets it, I am in the US and get it. I think it is to make sure you don't try to gift it to a German ether.

Zimbardo

i bought Duke Nukem Forever from Impulse a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $10, and didn't really enjoy it much. it has some decent moments and some of the gun play is alright, but i found it pretty repetitive and boring after awhile. i also found Duke Nukem's voice/character to be extremely lame ...a true douchebag. i would often roll eyes/shake head each time he'd open his mouth. one of the most unlikeable characters i've ever experienced.

$10 for the game is almost too much, imo. any more than that and its totally not worth it for sure.

desu

Drkirby said:
Everyone gets it, I am in the US and get it. I think it is to make sure you don't try to gift it to a German ether.

I hope this crap is an exclusive ... if they start doing this for all restricted games, German gamers will be totally fucked.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
denomes said:
Cross-post from the game's main thread:

Sideway: New York hits Steam October 18th, as per this video:

Was going to buy that on PSN this week, thanks for posting because now I can just hold off for the Steam holiday sale hahaha

Bumhead

Banned
It's times like this I really hate Steam.

I have no logical reason to want Duke Nukem but everytime I go into Steam it's teasing me at that price.

stuminus3

Scythian said:
So I only need to install TQ: Immortal Throne or both?
I think it installs both no matter what you do. But as was mentioned earlier, you'll want to ignore the base game anyway, because Immortal Throne is the base game + extra content.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mat C said:
It's times like this I really hate Steam.

I have no logical reason to want Duke Nukem but everytime I go into Steam it's teasing me at that price.

If it's on sale for $10 only like 4 months after release, you can bet it's gonna drop even lower. $5 or bust, your move 2K.

Bumhead

Banned
Snuggler said:
If it's on sale for $10 only like 4 months after release, you can bet it's gonna drop even lower. $5 or bust, your move 2K.

I think this is what's holding me back.

What are the odds of £7.49 becoming £3 something by the Christmas sale?

That's a genuine question by the way. I'm new to PC gaming and are unsure of general trends for this sort of thing.

denomes

Stumpokapow said:
Was going to buy that on PSN this week, thanks for posting because now I can just hold off for the Steam holiday sale hahaha

I'm torn. It fits nicely among my collection of art house PSN titles. I might just bite, it's only $9.99. Then again, the PC version will likely be superior and offer enhanced display options and a higher-res (though that's purely speculation).

EDIT: Probably worth waiting a week to see for impressions on the PC version.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mat C said:

That's a genuine question by the way. I'm new to PC gaming and are unsure of general trends for this sort of thing.

It's hard to say for certain, but it looks like the standard price has already dropped to $20, so a 75% off (or $5) Xmas Steam sale isn't totally out of the question.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mat C said:

Games during the Christmas sales typically sell for 40-60% off. Games featured as sales of the day during the Christmas sales sometimes go to 75% off or more. It is unlikely that the MSRP will drop below $19.99, so a 50% sale at Christmas would mean $9.99, while a 75% sale would mean $4.99.

I would not say that it is guaranteed to be cheaper for Christmas, but it is possible. :)

sk3tch

Depends on how much DLC they release after this. A $5 game with $8-$10 DLC (even on sale) isn't going to fly too well.

Either way, I think you guys should buy it if you dug 90's PC FPS. It's fun. And there's digital boobs.

Always buy games on Steam at the price you feel they're worth. As soon as you stop caring about when you play a specific game you will have ascended to Steam Nirvana, because you will always have games to play and money left in your pocket.

Edit: Psychonauts patch?

Eusis

Stumpokapow said:
I would not say that it is guaranteed to be cheaper for Christmas, but it is possible. :)
It's definitely a matter of whether you want to risk it or not, and for something like this? I'd definitely risk it, $5 is a nicer price to satiate curiosity and to own something that's arguably a piece of gaming history. However I could just pocket that extra $5, or skip entirely and get something like that Deus Ex DLC I'll undoubtedly enjoy much more when it hits.

EDIT: Though being unable to redeem the DLC without owning the game first IS annoying.

Firehead

jim-jam bongs said:
Edit: Psychonauts patch?
http://store.steampowered.com/news/6484/ said:
Updates to Psychonauts have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

- Made it so the game can play in incorrect language on non-English versions of Windows
- Fixed stump achievement doesn't unlock at night
- Fixed rank achievement sometimes not unlocking when ranking up multiple times
- Fixed game not launching on some strange Mac configurations
- Fixed installers sometimes not runinng on PC (actually fixed with an earlier config change)
Hrm... I wonder if they'll add controller icons any time...

snoopeasystreet said:
I bought an extra copy of Titan Quest Gold by accident. If anyone wants it, I'm selling it for €2.50. PM me if you want it.

Well, I tried to buy it but they won't accept my credit card anymore! PM me if you want to gift it to me.

RedSwirl

Narag said:
DNF is tempting.

Came here to post this. I beat a PS3 rental copy and remember actually enjoying it more than I would. I don't know if I have any reason to replay it though.

I can say this: I thought DNF's campaign felt more varied and less bland than BLOPS and Killzone 3.

moojito

The title of this thread is so right. Every now and then I'll look through my catalogue and be like "what? when did I buy that?!".

Just got titan quest gold. Probably get round to it in 2015.

Joe Molotov

Javaman said:
How do you get that? I used my borderlands GOTY code on http://www.dukenukem.com/access/entry/
but it only gave me a code for the demo. Is there a way to get a code for the DLC? When I entered the demo code into steam it said I already own the game.

If you log into it today, it should have an option to select what platform you want the DLC for, then you pick your platform and it generates a DLC code.

RealMeat

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Any chance there's a Bethesda sale soon? Would be interested in getting Morrowind and the Fallout games for dirt cheap.
Maybe they'll have a sale when Skyrim comes out? Although they might not want to take the spotlight off Skyrim.

MRORANGE

Vamphuntr said:
Any chance there's a Bethesda sale soon? Would be interested in getting Morrowind and the Fallout games for dirt cheap.

Quakecon, was like 2 month ago, which was the last big Bethesda/Zenimax sale, highly unlikely to be another untll Christmas.

Seriously Bethesda add some incentive to get Skyrim on steam *shakes fist*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom