• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lol51

Bastion surely will be on sale again as there is a new achievement "Ride the Wind".

Probably for the Winter Sale Event. One of my highlights of 2011.

Hear hear. Bioshock has dome some incredible atmospheric stuff, but goddamn if System Shock doesn't win it all by providing a superb horror experience, not to mention in storyline as well. But I'm hyped a great deal about Bioshock Infinite though. More than about BS2 (To this day I regret purchasing BS2)
I did add Infinite to my wishlist, but it's the first Irrational game I'm not gagging to get my hands on. I trust in the guys to make a unique FPS which makes me think but I miss the days of them making games like SS2 and Freedom Force which had relatively complex mechanics backing up the experience.

I just realized something... Steam now has an inbox :eek:

uHm9r.png

Here is the info.

Steam client update released

Client Update - Valve
A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

- Added notification area in the main Steam window when receiving new Steam gifts, invites or coupons
- Added tray notifications for new items & new pending gifts
- Changed most options for sending/accepting gifts to be managed from the Steam Inventory
- Fixed missing CD-Key dialog for games with multiple launch options
- Fixed cloud upload failures for some games when users are near their quota
- Fixed downloading new update while game is still running
- Fixed bug that could impact content patching on Mac OSX.
- Fixed creating empty folders in some cases
- Fixed keeping "Do not automatically update this game" setting
- Fixed bug updating Game Settings -> Automatic Updates (New content download system only)
- Fixed creating backup folders for games with trailing spaces in their name
- Fixed reading backups for games converted to new content system

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6953/

Improved Gift Management

There are those who say it’s much better to give than to receive. For the rest of us, the greatest gift is gifts. And now it’s easier than ever to receive gifts, or even, if you must, give them. In your inventory you’ll find a new “Pending Gifts” tab where you can view gifts offered to you and gifts you’ve offered to your friends. You can accept a gift to add to your game library or store in your inventory for later on both the web and in the Steam client.

new_gift.jpg

And to ensure you don’t miss a gift, a new item in your inventory, or a friend invite, there’s now a notification flag at the top of the Steam client that lets you know you have things to act on and quick links to get you there.

notification.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6952/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Very cool, wouldn't mind having an offline messaging thing(that's not just adding a comment to someones profile, I rarely look there). That would be a perfect addition to this.

Yeah, I thought that was added for a moment there. It would be a nice feature since instant messaging isn't always appropriate and profile comments are easy to miss. Looks like this update could be a step in that direction, though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Did they fix the bug where it says the gift link is invalid while starting the download anyway? That always happens to me when I get gifts.

BTW I ordered a new controller so I've got $15 for this till Christmas. I'm going to hold out for only the hottest deals possible. 75% off is a base requirement, and I have to really want it.

MRORANGE

Did they fix the bug where it says the gift link is invalid while starting the download anyway? That always happens to me when I get gifts.

BTW I ordered a new controller so I've got $15 for this till Christmas. I'm going to hold out for only the hottest deals possible. 75% off is a base requirement, and I have to really want it.

$15 Ouch, hopefully you can get some indie bundles out of that.

oh yeah 10 more days until the holiday sale!!!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So this storing gifts in inventory rather than receiving them thing -- does this mean people can be trading off their gifts for something else? I don't like the sound of that if so, since I can see people abusing the pity angle on all kinds of sales just to get shit to trade off. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
$15 Ouch, hopefully you can get some indie bundles out of that.

oh yeah 10 more days until the holiday sale!!!
Honestly there isn't too much I'm looking to get since I already got so much the last two months. Arkham City and SR3 are the two big titles I want. I'd nab Alice or Sonic for $7.50, Clash of Heroes on the cheap, maybe half price Shogo at GOG. Other stuff is on my wishlist, sure, but I've acquired nearly all the pressing desires. Alice and Sonic would be great, though...

Exuro

So this storing gifts in inventory rather than receiving them thing -- does this mean people can be trading off their gifts for something else? I don't like the sound of that if so, since I can see people abusing the pity angle on all kinds of sales just to get shit to trade off. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
People have been using the inventory system for a while to trade tf2 items for games. Getting a game on sale and trading it for an item(or eventually steam bucks) worth more than the sale price is fine to me as long as both individuals are fine with it.

jediyoshi

You mean gifts not immediately being bound to someone's account once they're sent from a location? How would that change people begging for stuff as it is?

xelios

People have been using the inventory system for a while to trade tf2 items for games. Getting a game on sale and trading it for an item(or eventually steam bucks) worth more than the sale price is fine to me as long as both individuals are fine with it.

I don't care about trading. If I buy a game to put in my inventory during a sale to trade that's fine. We already had that before this beta.

I'm talking about gifts other people gift you. It says you can accept them or store them in your inventory.

Exuro

I don't care about trading. If I buy a game to put in my inventory during a sale to trade that's fine. We already had that before this beta.

I'm talking about gifts other people gift you. It says you can accept them or store them in your inventory.
Ah so you mean if you gift someone and item and instead of them unboxing it they instead store it in their inventory and trade it off later for something?

xelios

Ah so you mean if you gift someone and item and instead of them unboxing it they instead store it in their inventory and trade it off later for something?

Yeah that's what it sounds like, which is weird. Put everything on your wishlist I guess since you can trade it for something you want? etc. But I still don't have a clear answer on it.

Baha

Yeah I can understand that. They could make an option to make the gift untradeable if they don't own it yet.

I would completely be in favor of this, untradeable if they don't own it otherwise tradeable if they do own it. This is for receiving gifts only of course, trading is fine how is currently is.

Caerith

Here are my rules to buying Indie games:

1) Buy games you want to play.​
2) Play them.​

Or:

1) Wait for a crazy sale or bundle and add games to your backlog​
2) Never play them.​

I'm never going to get to these Indie bundles. :(
Pretty much. Backloggery is staying my hand on Bastion right now. I am sure I will want to play it but it'll be months before I get to it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, I have a coupon...

railworks%20coupon.png

Have: 50% OFF RailSimulator Title or DLC

Want: Anything that is not this coupon. ANYTHING. A TF2 Sandvich or something.

Coupon is good till the 12th. Works on Game and the DLC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dungeon Defenders owners cry out with joy. Though I think more people ITT would prefer:

- fixed categories being nuked after an update

Correct, although I've long given up on having a nice set of categories. Gabe will not let it be.

Btw, what's your new avatar? Is that from Waking Life?

krpiper

I am downloading everquest now. Never got into it back in the day worth to kill some time over Christmas break.

Anything I should know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom