• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Came across this rather hilarious Steam hate thread on the Paradox Interactive forums. Some quotes:

In a way, its now a mixture of my own experience and annoyance. My own experience with Steam has told me that there's absolutely no way I ever plan on buying a Steam game again. For example, I've had to spend extreme amounts of time getting it to work. After that, I have to deal with advertisements on a game I paid for. Following that, the actual probability of the Steam version of a game working on my machine is dubious at best, though I can't exactly pinpoint why. So then I go to get tech support, and have to do everything just right so that Steam doesn't get mad at me.

They were doing fine without it beforehand. Mark my words, Paradox doesn't care about us—the people who loved them when the were a niche developer—anymore. Like Bethesda or Creative Assembly trying to widen their market and capture a bigger audience, just so Paradox is slowly selling out and twisting the knife into the backs of it's once loyal fans. I will always love Paradox and I even have a Paradox Interactive medal hanging over my bed, but loving something also means recognizing—and being vocal about—its flaws.

I just hope, Magna Mundi wont force me to use that adware program since i really want to buy that game

For me, the problem is that in terms of intrusiveness, inconvenience, and unwanted features, Steam is much worse than almost all the other digital distributor alternatives. Someone used to dealing with Securom in games might find Steamworks a blessing, but for those who buy DRM-free games from GamersGate or GOG, even Steamworks-free games on Steam offer little appeal.

In the end though, this quote matters most:
Johan said:
Divine Wind was sold NOT sold at Steam for the first month of it release... and still 83,2% of all revenue for Divine Wind has been sold through Steam.

I just hope, Magna Mundi wont force me to use that adware program since i really want to buy that game

I guess they're talking about the pop-up window describing what's new and on sale? It's nothing like adware, and I don't see how it's even a big deal since it doesn't even come up that often.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I guess they're talking about the pop-up window describing what's new and on sale? It's nothing like adware, and I don't see how it's even a big deal since it doesn't even come up that often.
And you can turn it off if you just spend 2 minutes looking over the preferences like you should with any program ever.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Even less so; it only pops up when opening an instance of the Steam executable.

Edit: Or logging in to a different account.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What does this mean?
Probably...
1) The pop-up of current offers once a day, which you can turn off.
and
2) He doesn't know how to set Steam to open to Library instead of Store, and is talking about Steam as "his game" because he still doesn't understand the concept.

Also, there's no way Steamworks is as bad as Securom or GFWL. I'll agree that DRM-free is nice and my much preferred way, but it's just not realistic for developers anymore for newer games.

People have one or two bad experiences with Steam and go, "lol steam sucks."

PaulLFC

So I think what we can conclude from that sample of quotes from the Paradox forums is that some people are idiots and are ready to blame Steam for any and every 'problem' they claim to have without taking into account most of them can be solved in a matter of seconds.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Also, there's no way Steamworks is as bad as Securom or GFWL. I'll agree that DRM-free is nice and my much preferred way, but it's just not realistic for developers anymore for newer games.

People have one or two bad experiences with Steam and go, "lol steam sucks."

I'd be willing to let someone who had one or two bad experiences have the "lol steam sucks" opinion. But these people are practically looking for problems, finding nothing, then fabricating their own problems.

Twinduct

Lol kabouter. Honestly the amount of misinformation being spouted in that thread lol
I also love the first post on page 3. There's alot sense in there ... but still crazy. Wants paradox to make a FAQ for why steam is good for those who do not like steam.

Worst decision. Ever.

Worst decision ever is buying two copies of FFXIV limited edition at close to $80+ each at launch and then prepaying about $200 worth of subscription fees up front on two different accounts even after regrettably playing through the entire beta.

ezodagrom said:
Looks like Sonic 4 Episode 1 is going to have a PC version. :>

More Sonic on PC is always good, right? Right? I was going to pick this up on PSN a while back but it seemed to have mixed reviews. I'll probably give this a try on Steam.

Johan said:
Divine Wind was NOT sold at Steam for the first month of it release... and still 83.2% of all revenue for Divine Wind has been sold through Steam.

Zing! Those complaints are ridiculous.

Derrick01

Banned
It's amazing how many people, including certain ones here, don't know that you can turn the pop up ads off and then proceed to bash Steam for it and call it adware etc.

stuminus3

Sweet, Direct2Drive just credited my Paypal account with $30 because apparently I somehow bought Rage from them twice at the same time (?!). I'll just be throwing that on the Steam wallet for the holiday sales. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's amazing how many people, including certain ones here, don't know that you can turn the pop up ads off and then proceed to bash Steam for it and call it adware etc.

When you are emotionally compromised figuring things out becomes much harder. And options are hard to see when big salty tears are pouring from your eyes.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I'm surprised that someone there didn't call it spyware because, like, it tracks the games you play, man.

That's actually a better argument than it being adware.

Sweet, Direct2Drive just credited my Paypal account with $30 because apparently I somehow bought Rage from them twice at the same time (?!). I'll just be throwing that on the Steam wallet for the holiday sales. :)

I can just see that picture of Gabe smiling pop up on your computer and give a little wink as soon as you saw that.

coopolon

I always have it turned off, but it has recently started turning itself on again. Kind of annoying.

I'm actually wondering if a lot of those complaints are from older gamers who are use to just buying a disc, installing and playing. They just haven't been able to except something like Steam yet and are still wrapping their heads around digital distribution. Some of my friends who have been gaming on PC their whole lives are like that. Stubborn, but slowly excepting the way things are.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've always wondered... you can't send steam money in trades right? Because that would make the cross-country gifting sessions easier, removing the need of sending someone paypal and such.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, Steam has been kinda buggy about some things. I tried to turn off auto-updating for Skyrim, but it went ahead and updated anyways.
I keep spamming this in threads, but in case anyone isn't aware:

Turning off auto-updating for Steam games will NOT stop them from auto-updating if you play the game. In theory, it will stop them from automatically downloading patches until the next time you run the game, but I think someone (Nabs? Kirby? Stallion? About Dungeon Defenders or some other game with 900MB+ updates?) said that even in that case, it may download updates.

So at best the setting is buggy and may reset itself, if I recall correctly it will reset itself when you launch a game anyway, and it WILL NOT stop a game from autoupdating if you try to play said game. The only exception is if you can launch a game from outside Steam, such as with Skyrim before they patched DRM into the executable.

I keep spamming this in threads, but in case anyone isn't aware:

Turning off auto-updating for Steam games will NOT stop them from auto-updating if you play the game. In theory, it will stop them from automatically downloading patches until the next time you run the game, but I think someone (Nabs? Kirby? Stallion? About Dungeon Defenders or some other game with 900MB+ updates?) said that even in that case, it may download updates.

So at best the setting is buggy and may reset itself, if I recall correctly it will reset itself when you launch a game anyway, and it WILL NOT stop a game from autoupdating if you try to play said game. The only exception is if you can launch a game from outside Steam, such as with Skyrim before they patched DRM into the executable.

Eww, I don't like that. :\

I definitely don't want Steam to turn into XBL or anything, but if they're going to force updates they need to have some kind of quality control. I was not amused when Skyrim got patched and broke more things than it fixed.

-PXG-

Why did my lunch break have to be from 12-1 today? Now I have to wait until I get home to find out what the sale item is today. It better be good, and not something as bad as Homefront.

Blizzard

Banned
Eww, I don't like that. :\

I definitely don't want Steam to turn into XBL or anything, but if they're going to force updates they need to have some kind of quality control. I was not amused when Skyrim got patched and broke more things than it fixed.
Yeah, it's especially bad for games that have mods (Bethesda games), or games where updates will overwrite your modded config files without warning (Unreal Engine 3 games), or patches that add DRM to a formerly DRM-free product (Skyrim). I wish they would just add an option to not update the game until further notice, but I feel like there's nothing I can do to get Valve's attention since I'm just one of 40 million people etc. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom