• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, it's especially bad for games that have mods (Bethesda games), or games where updates will overwrite your modded config files without warning (Unreal Engine 3 games), or patches that add DRM to a formerly DRM-free product (Skyrim). I wish they would just add an option to not update the game until further notice, but I feel like there's nothing I can do to get Valve's attention since I'm just one of 40 million people etc. =P
Yep, aside from indie bundles, that's why I'm starting to change my Steam-only mindset. If it has multiplayer or something, it's best to stay with the Steam version, but if it's single player and doesn't have burdensome DRM, I feel it's better to add it as a non-Steam game. If it's something I'll be modding that's double reason to keep it autonomous, but even without modding there is the issue of random weekly multi-gig updates for some games. Get that shit under control.

ArjanN

I keep spamming this in threads, but in case anyone isn't aware:

Turning off auto-updating for Steam games will NOT stop them from auto-updating if you play the game. In theory, it will stop them from automatically downloading patches until the next time you run the game, but I think someone (Nabs? Kirby? Stallion? About Dungeon Defenders or some other game with 900MB+ updates?) said that even in that case, it may download updates.

Wasn't this fixed in the latest Steam update?

*checks*

Here you go:

- Fixed keeping "Do not automatically update this game" setting

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I got it cheaper in the summer where you can buy BOTH games for that price. :p

Anyway, you can't use steam money in trading right?

Blizzard

Banned
Wasn't this fixed in the latest Steam update?

*checks*

Here you go:
That sounds like they fixed the case where the setting changes itself.

Definitely feel free to check, but I HIGHLY doubt it means it will actually prevent a game from updating if you launch it and a patch is available, unfortunately. (of course it's hard to test that case since you have to think of a game that patches often, and isn't an online multiplayer game like TF2, and launch it periodically)

ShaneB

:( Im away from 26th to 2nd.

If no access at all to Steam, my suggestion, update your wishlist, set a budget, have someone buy all those games on your wishlist and you pay them when you get back :)

There are certainly people here who are wonderful with gifting, so I think that could work.

Spl1nter

If no access at all to Steam, my suggestion, update your wishlist, set a budget, have someone buy all those games on your wishlist and you pay them when you get back :)

There are certainly people here who are wonderful with gifting, so I think that could work.

I could definitely do that but I think it is better that I am away for part of the sale anyway. Probably wont play most of the games till the summer anyway. Im sure that 2-3 games will be on sale that I want before I leave on the 26th.

ShaneB

I could definitely do that but I think it is better that I am away for part of the sale anyway. Probably wont play most of the games till the summer anyway. Im sure that 2-3 games will be on sale that I want before I leave on the 26th.

Ah, willpower is a good thing to have :)

I wish I had some.. :(

Greyvvolf

If I download and install this driver on my Mac, can I use a regular wired Xbox 360 controller to play games? Or does it only work with a wired Xbox 360 controller for Windows?

I think I'm going to install Oblivion and try modding the shit out of it since I'm pretty much through with Skyrim until the expansion comes out. Didn't have much luck last time I tried.

Mimir

If I download and install this driver on my Mac, can I use a regular wired Xbox 360 controller to play games? Or does it only work with a wired Xbox 360 controller for Windows?
A regular wired controller will work. The Windows branded one just includes a driver CD with the normal controller.

what does putting Oblivion up on sale accomplish (especially for the price it always goes on sale for)?

I don't think there's a soul on Steam who hasn't played it yet.

Silly geese, they put Oblivion on sale so that, when new people join Steam, they can buy it for next to nothing and throw away their physical copy.

Speevy

Banned
I played Oblivion when it came out on the 360 in 2006, bought a few useless DLC, sold the game.

Now I'm just curious as to whether my new laptop runs it. 5 bucks isn't a huge price to pay for that.

MRORANGE

Just a heads up you can get some of the Christmas Steam achievements before the Holiday sale starts, just got one in PAYDAY:

2672a3174518f880c9a9b7d4ace32bf7128e49e7.jpg

Merry Xmas: In multiplayer, find a Xmas present on any level.

Y1TvD.jpg

#

I played Oblivion when it came out on the 360 in 2006, bought a few useless DLC, sold the game.

Now I'm just curious as to whether my new laptop runs it. 5 bucks isn't a huge price to pay for that.

Oldblivion

This mod lets you play Oblivion on older hardware while looking better than vanilla Oblivion on ultra low settings.

Very easy to install apparently.

This is only if you have a REALLY old computer though. People could get Oblivion working on netbooks from 2-3 years ago with this mod.

masterkajo

Just a heads up you can get some of the Christmas Steam achievements before the Holiday sale starts, just got one in PAYDAY:

2672a3174518f880c9a9b7d4ace32bf7128e49e7.jpg

Merry Xmas: In multiplayer, find a Xmas present on any level.
#

Is it already known which games will feature Xmas achievements? And if they will be handled in a similar manner that in the summer sale?

I'm trying to play STALKER: CoP with the Complete mod and it freezes Every. Single. Time. I start a new game. Curiously, I can't access CCC and it says it can't load "sorttbls.nlp". The PDF sure is a lot of help - I've already tried DX9 and medium settings and my drivers should be new.

According to some people on Steamgifts, BF3 is getting removed from Origin if you got it from the IGN promotion.

Mine is still there, has anyone had any problem?

MRORANGE

According to some people on Steamgifts, BF3 is getting removed from Origin if you got it from the IGN promotion.

Two months ago I wanted this game badly on steam, now I just don't really care enough to get it, even if it was free.

JADS

Mine is gone. Prompts me to reactivate the game. Using the serial I got from ING doesn't work. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

coopolon

Mine is still in my games list, but I don't know if it actually will work. It allows me to download it, but I'm not downloading the entire game. I honestly wouldn't care if they did remove it, as someone who doesn't play multiplayer shooters the game is worthless to me, such a terrible single player campaign.

Speevy

Banned
What laptop do you have?

Better yet -> Oblivion Harware Analysis

My laptop has an integrated Intel Graphics 3000, and I was able to run around the main area outside the sewers with no noticeable lag. I turned the resolution up to my system's default which is 1600x900, and it still ran fine.

I'm actually pretty surprised at this myself, but then again, Intel does list it among games their integrated solutions can run.

The_Monk

GAF, how truth is the "Can you Run it" website? I ask because I own a MacBook Pro with Bootcamp installed. I have used this site to see if I can run some games and when I test it I always get FAIL on minimun reqs. however those same games I test on the website, I run them even on HIGH Settings without a single problem...!

I know that my graphic card is horrible (and I don't understand much about pc components in a long time..) so it's hard for me to know if I can run a game or not.

I hope to get some GAF Help once the Steam Xmas sales starts because otherwise I'm blind. =/

Speevy

Banned
GAF, how truth is the "Can you Run it" website? I ask because I own a MacBook Pro with Bootcamp installed. I have used this site to see if I can run some games and when I test it I always get FAIL on minimun reqs. however those same games I test on the website, I run them even on HIGH Settings without a single problem...!

I know that my graphic card is horrible (and I don't understand much about pc components in a long time..) so it's hard for me to know if I can run a game or not.

I hope to get some GAF Help once the Steam Xmas sales starts because otherwise I'm blind. =/

It fails me at some of the games I run just fine, simply because it's not a certain card. What does it say your card isn't doing?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My laptop has an integrated Intel Graphics 3000, and I was able to run around the main area outside the sewers with no noticeable lag. I turned the resolution up to my system's default which is 1600x900, and it still ran fine.

I'm actually pretty surprised at this myself, but then again, Intel does list it among games their integrated solutions can run.

My laptop has the same integrated Intel graphics, plus a dedicated Nvidia card. The Intel circuit obviously can't compete with the dedicated GPU, but it's definitely not completely useless for games like integrated graphics circuits were a couple of years ago. Oblivion shouldn't be much of a problem for it (I've even heard of people playing Skyrim with it, though not at very high settings of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom