• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg-steam-inventory.png

:O

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why is Borderlands updating O:

Also, I realized that today's humble bundle I already have some, but I want to own some (I have jamestown and SMB). If I purchase the pack, can I send those two games?

Ifrit

Why is Borderlands updating O:

Also, I realized that today's humble bundle I already have some, but I want to own some (I have jamestown and SMB). If I purchase the pack, can I send those two games?

You can't, only one key for the bundle, and another one for the extra games if you pay more than the average, which is highly recommended. No individual keys unfortunately

Chesskid1

Banned
i love you all, first steam christmas and i'm already so happy. so glad i came back to PC gaming this year.

beware of post-sale depression, i was pretty sad after thanksgiving ended. :(

Why sad? Don't be sad :(

Oh and what's going on with everybody time traveling to 1969? Was there any good deal in that year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

Most of the Steam web application is built using PHP as far as I can tell from their job-postings. PHP is a dynamically-typed language, which in practical terms means that when you treat a variable as a particular type it gets converted to that type. In this case, the date field for the data being returned in that inventory query is NULL or FALSE (or otherwise empty), so when they pass it to a function which expects the date field to be expressed as a number it gets converted to 0.

Because UNIX time is the number of seconds since 00:00:00 1/1/1970, zero is equivalent to The Beginning of All Things. The 1969 thing is caused by timezone adjustment.

The_Monk

Most of the Steam web application is built using PHP as far as I can tell from their job-postings. PHP is a dynamically-typed language, which in practical terms means that when you treat a variable as a particular type it gets converted to that type. In this case, the date field for the data being returned in that inventory query is NULL or FALSE (or otherwise empty), so when they pass it to a function which expects the date field to be expressed as a number it gets converted to 0.

Because UNIX time is the number of seconds since 00:00:00 1/1/1970, zero is equivalent to The Beginning of All Things. The 1969 thing is caused by timezone adjustment.

I...That was a very good answer, thanks sir! Awesome.

No! That's not true! It's part of the ARG!

You're not my real father!

vall03

I hate myself for being able to understand that, I really do... *sigh*

Question about the Mac client. Does anyone else find the dropdown for the games list filter (the one that shows "Installed" / "All Games" / "Mac Games" etc) super unresponsive? I have to hammer the mouse on that thing, and it only comes up like 10% of the time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I'm on Lion.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
that's new, never heard about this before - got any links?

I don't have a link to when it happened (game sites were too busy tripping over themselves to give the highest score to whatever shit COD game had come out at the time to notice) but the community got the manual patch working with the steam version.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115188

Also of interest, the same fellow has been doing an unofficial community patch to shore up whatever bugs were left over.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271596

Caerith

Speaking of time, I was intrigued when I checked the store on my phone and saw that Duke Nukem had a new DLC available, but lost all interest when I got to the "Cloned Me" part of the title.

parasight

Grrr. Steam has been unreliably dropping my connection a lot today. In the middle of very long Dungeon Defenders Survival sessions. Very frustrating to lose all that progress.

Derrick01

Banned
Grrr. Steam has been unreliably dropping my connection a lot today. In the middle of very long Dungeon Defenders Survival sessions. Very frustrating to lose all that progress.

Yeah me and a friend were trying to do the last mission in saints row 3 which takes a while and is kind of tough and the shit kept dropping connection usually right after we were done, forcing a restart of the whole thing. Really pissed me off.

Alienups

I got a notification saying that two new items have been added to my inventory when i started up steam just now but i cant find them

what a cocktease :/

i love you all, first steam christmas and i'm already so happy. so glad i came back to PC gaming this year.

beware of post-sale depression, i was pretty sad after thanksgiving ended. :(

Luckily Australian's are immune to this. These days we just get to see games discounted to slightly above the normal price for the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom