• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah this is getting ridiculous now. I can access everything on the client but it says no connection. Why does Gabe not want me to play saints row co-op?

THEORY:
Gabe is stealth downloading Half-Life 3 onto every Steam users computer and it will be available for immediate purchase and play the final day of the sale.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Also having steam connection issues, so is my friend - just keeps saying no connection at the bottom, won't log into friends list (could last night) and then randomly starts downloading stuff then stops again

It all started yesterday, appears to be server side as both of my PCs are acting this way

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
WTH is up with the steam servers? I was downloading a game, and it just reset to 0% when it was nearly finished. lol

C_H_T

Also having steam connection issues, so is my friend - just keeps saying no connection at the bottom, won't log into friends list (could last night) and then randomly starts downloading stuff then stops again

It all started yesterday, appears to be server side as both of my PCs are acting this way

I'm also experiencing this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In about a week I'll have finished downloading my entire Steam library. And then, like an artist upon completing his masterpiece, I won't know what to do with myself. Maybe... maybe I'll play some of them.

Nymerio

You can put any U.S. address you want in there. Use Google's (1600 Amphitheatre Parkway. Mountain View, CA 94043). It'll go through.

Thanks, worked without a problem! I assume Amazon doesn't actually send out anything to your billing/shipping address when you purchase digital goods?

Steam is now abusing wallet by using Amazon as a proxy. I feel as sad as my wallet :/

JaseC

You keep all your games installed?

I prefer it. Beats having to wait potentially hours upon hours for a game to download after I've decided it to be my next victim.

As an aside, speaking of preference, I was completely oblivious to the watermark in my previous avatar until after I'd set it. Oops.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When did they change that and why? That seems stupid to me. Evilore's house his rules though.

There were a few reasons:
1) We didn't want the |OT| tag on every thread in the forum, and that was happening.

2) We didn't want to encourage megathreads at the expense of new threads for new news, which is a problem that's happened with all of the "platform" threads. Not that there can't be an ongoing discussion in here about new stuff, but if something is really newsworthy, it should also have a new thread. So we're limiting the |OT| tag to specific game or event threads, not for ongoing stuff, as part of that.

3) It's worth keeping in mind that a thread doesn't become a worse place for discussion because it doesn't say "OT" in the title. It's not a huge distinction, or at least it shouldn't be. It's a really subtle realignment designed to help us continue to implement the stuff we've been implementing for the last year or two in terms of spreading out things a bit more and busting up really insular megathreads.

4) We had been implementing this change on threads as they were created, but this confused users (example linked) who basically said "But what about all the existing threads with |OT| in the name?" so we've done a bit of retroactive stuff in response.

Basically, nothing to see here folks. Disclaimer: I didn't actually do any of the renaming or participate much in the discussion about what I just said. You might want to PM Nirolak or duckroll if you feel like I've done a poor job explaining or you need more info.

ElRenoRaven

There were a few reasons:
1) We didn't want the |OT| tag on every thread in the forum, and that was happening.

2) We didn't want to encourage megathreads at the expense of new threads for new news, which is a problem that's happened with all of the "platform" threads. Not that there can't be an ongoing discussion in here about new stuff, but if something is really newsworthy, it should also have a new thread. So we're limiting the |OT| tag to specific game or event threads, not for ongoing stuff, as part of that.

3) It's worth keeping in mind that a thread doesn't become a worse place for discussion because it doesn't say "OT" in the title. It's not a huge distinction, or at least it shouldn't be. It's a really subtle realignment designed to help us continue to implement the stuff we've been implementing for the last year or two in terms of spreading out things a bit more and busting up really insular megathreads.

4) We had been implementing this change on threads as they were created, but this confused users (example linked) who basically said "But what about all the existing threads with |OT| in the name?" so we've done a bit of retroactive stuff in response.

Basically, nothing to see here folks. Disclaimer: I didn't actually do any of the renaming or participate much in the discussion about what I just said. You might want to PM Nirolak or duckroll if you feel like I've done a poor job explaining or you need more info.

Interesting. And yea you're right. A title don't mean a damn thing all said and done.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
khannnn96o0a.jpg

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah, there's a thread for it. Serious Sam: DD is the only game that activates on Steam.
It's been posted, but only one of those games is Steamworks and Frozen Synapse has already been a in bundle, so no one cares.

Yeah, nothing looked spectacular. I'm just more or less amazed at the amount of these Humble Bundle copycats.

EDF launching for $15.. hmm. It may not go lower than that for awhile, and it's definitely a game to have around installed to just play whenever..

JaseC

Yeah, nothing looked spectacular. I'm just more or less amazed at the amount of these Humble Bundle copycats.

EDF launching for $15.. hmm. It may not go lower than that for awhile, and it's definitely a game to have around installed to just play whenever..

I'll have to start skipping an indie bundle here and there if they increase in frequency.

Flunkie

Banned
I'll have to start skipping an indie bundle here and there if they increase in frequency.

I have so many keys sitting in my email that I forget to activate and I forget which bundles I buy.. so I accidentally didn't get that Indie Royale bundle with Runespell. So ~$4 unintentionally saved.

JaseC

I have so many keys sitting in my email that I forget to activate and I forget which bundles I buy.. so I accidentally didn't get that Indie Royale bundle with Runespell. So ~$4 unintentionally saved.

And you're better off for it. $4 saved is another $4 for the Christmas Sale Fund!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom