• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Can't wait to hear how EDF is on the PC. I was a huge fan of the first one and even though I've heard this one doesn't do the 'real' series justice I still really want to play it.

jediyoshi

swoosh

f1gOR.jpg

1. graywolf323
2. Schmattakopf
3. Wilflare

I hope you guys got your copies of demigod. Steam is acting weird over here. If there're any problems let me know and I'll resend them.

Tomodachi

Steam is refusing to lauch Gemini Rue and I'm getting pissed since I'm loving it so much. Will I lose any progress if I agree to launch it anyway without synch support?

Eliciel

they should definitely think about restoring savegames etc. because a LOT of people got disconnects and lost items etc. especially in Dungeon Defenders & Trendy Net..

Aselith

Can't wait to hear how EDF is on the PC. I was a huge fan of the first one and even though I've heard this one doesn't do the 'real' series justice I still really want to play it.
It's better. The first was a mess mechanically. You can revive teammates and even locate your teammates on the hud!

Eliciel

Same happen to me in Red Orchestra 2, i lose all my progress...

This shouldn't be about "discussing IF they restore..." this should be "discussing HOW the would like us to restore..." I mean come on I paid for this and I'm a customer. Get the work done asap.

JADS

I have some bad news

EDF is locked to 30 FPS and has zero configuration options outside of resolution, AA and gamma

Im_Special

Hopefully someone can help me, I just bought Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack but it doesn't show anywhere on my Steam list of games, I got the email receipt and it shows the purchase under my account. Does anyone know whats up with this? Will I need to contact Steam support?

UPDATE: It just fixed it self after 20 minutes or so, so if this happens to anyone else just wait it out.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I have some bad news

EDF is locked to 30 FPS and has zero configuration options outside of resolution and gamma

Ouch, did you check out the install folder to see if there is an .ini we can tweak?

ArjanN

I wouldn't be surpised if there was a bunch more downtime during the xmas event, that must be a pretty insane bandwith spike with a several million people downloading a bunch of games at once, tons of updates, etc.

Blizzard

Banned
they should definitely think about restoring savegames etc. because a LOT of people got disconnects and lost items etc. especially in Dungeon Defenders & Trendy Net..
This is the probably my biggest question about Steam cloud saves. I haven't messed with cloud saves much, but my understanding is that they get written to a game-specific folder deep in the Steam install directory structure. My questions:

1. If Steam goes down while you are ingame, are those files not up to date?

2. If Steam goes down, can you still play with the local copy of the save file, and then that copy will get written to the cloud once Steam comes back up?

3. Most importantly, if a save file becomes corrupted and you kept a manual backup of it, can you copy that backup file into the Steam cloud save directory and work from there, or will Steam keep redownloading the corrupted cloud save?

Tambini

Hopefully someone can help me, I just bought Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack but it doesn't show anywhere on my Steam list of games, I got the email receipt and it shows the purchase under my account. Does anyone know whats up with this? Will I need to contact Steam support?

First thing is to restart steam.

The obvious solutions... try restarting Steam. If that doesn't work, delete the clientregistry.blob file from your Steam root folder and then launch Steam again and let it update. If it still doesn't show up, I would imagine that the problems they are having with Steam right now are the likely cause. Wait for it to get fixed up, hopefully in the next few hours, and if it still doesn't work, then you should contact support.

Eliciel

This is the probably my biggest question about Steam cloud saves. I haven't messed with cloud saves much, but my understanding is that they get written to a game-specific folder deep in the Steam install directory structure. My questions:

2. If Steam goes down, can you still play with the local copy of the save file, and then that copy will get written to the cloud once Steam comes back up?

3. Most importantly, if a save file becomes corrupted and you kept a manual backup of it, can you copy that backup file into the Steam cloud save directory and work from there, or will Steam keep redownloading the corrupted cloud save?

those questions are THAT good they should be included into the new "Steam Cloud Saving FAQ" . I'm not joking.

thefil

I actually think Steam Cloud is really well implemented, thought it could be more forthcoming with this information.

Your local files continue to get saved. Steam uploads save files once you close the game (you can see the game in your list get updated with "Syncing" at this time). If you don't have a network connection, this will happen when you get that connection back (around the same time games would resume downloading).

When the network connection comes back, during the next "Syncing" activity on Steam, it will prompt you to select a set of save files to become "canon", showing you the timestamps for the server copy and your own local copy.

I would guess yes, but I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom