• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopolon

The login chart on Steam looks like one of those earthquake monitors in the last day or so 0.o

Do steam achievements work in offline mode? I want to play something but literally everything I want to play right now has achievements.

I've gotten achievements in Saints Row 3 and Skyrim while in offline mode. The notification pops up when you get them. Then when you are in online mode again playing the game it pops up again shortly after you start playing.

I was surprised by both games, but I got multiple achievements in each while offline.

Edit: Obviously this was all in the last month, which is probably why there are conflicting reports. I imagine this is something they've fixed recently.

Derrick01

Banned
No, they don't. I played Left 4 Dead and Torchlight when I moved beginning of 2010 and was stuck in offline mode for 2 weeks. Sorry. Unless they've fixed it since then, but I doubt they have.

I've gotten achievements in Saints Row 3 and Skyrim while in offline mode. The notification pops up when you get them. Then when you are in online mode again playing the game it pops up again shortly after you start playing.

Hmm guess I'll just find out, not that I expect to get an achievement in Skyrim today. I'm so far away from the ones I haven't gotten yet.

iavi

The login chart on Steam looks like one of those earthquake monitors in the last day or so 0.o

Do steam achievements work in offline mode? I want to play something but literally everything I want to play right now has achievements.

Nope, and if it's still the same as when I played Portal through in one offline sitting, neither will the time counter.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I was surprised by both games, but I got multiple achievements in each.

Very interesting, maybe they have fixed it since I last tried offline mode! Cool!

iavi

I was surprised by both games, but I got multiple achievements in each while offline.

Edit: Obviously this was all in the last month, which is probably why there are conflicting reports. I imagine this is something they've fixed recently.

Wait... what, really? I really want to play Cave Story instead of studying right now, but half of the fun is getting those achievements...

coopolon is correct, I've earned achievements in offline mode, just recently with Skyrim and SR3

There is a god! Away I go.

E: But does the time counter work?

coopolon

Wait... what, really? I really want to play Cave Story instead of studying right now, but half of the fun is getting those achievements...

There is a god! Away I go.

E: But does the time counter work?

No, while in offline mode it will count how much time you played, but it won't add that time to the online playtime and next time you go online that # will be gone.

iavi

No, while in offline mode it will count how much time you played, but it won't add that time to the online playtime and next time you go online that # will be gone.

Gotcha. So they've fixed the achievements, but still have separate instances when it comes to the online/offline clock. That's funky.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with login into steam? For some reason it says 'No connection' to me.

Steam is dead for many right now.

Sounds good to me. I'd rather they focus on balancing eight heroes than having so many that it's obviously impossible to balance.

The only people screaming about OP characters in Dota are the people who suck so much at teamwork and team composition that they can't counter the "OP" characters. It's not impossible to balance. Merely difficult.

abload is one of the best sites for uploading pictures. I use adblock+ and noscript and I didn't see a single ad.

Don't have any ad blockers. There are three banners (one which overlaps a bit of the picture) and one pop up right over the picture with two X's (one fake and one that actually closes it). Of course if I had adblock the site would be great.

Wizpig

Question: Steam is offline, and i played Jamestown doing some actions that would get me achievements.
But they didn't pop up.

Will i get them when Steam goes back online or are they lost? lost meaning... do i have to do those actions again when Steam comes back online?

derFeef

Guess I should not have bought something during this downtime... everything is mumbojumop now..... Games not there etc. (still down for me)

Uriah

Question: Steam is offline, and i played Jamestown doing some actions that would get me achievements.
But they didn't pop up.

Will i get them when Steam goes back online or are they lost? lost meaning... do i have to do those actions again when Steam comes back online?

You're probably screwed.

Everything seems to be slowly coming back to life. I was able to purchase the new deck pack for DotP...still can't get in game but my community page loaded and it looks like a few peeps on my friends list managed to get in a game.

Are people seriously making fun of the graphics of EARTH DEFENCE FORCE in this thread?

wat.

I think it's more just disappointment that we can't make them better because there are no configuration options and forcing MSAA causes it to go crazy. I certainly wouldn't expect 20k polygon models or anything, but damn it's a bit disappointing to not even be able to get MSAA or 60fps.

Blizzard

Banned
Why isn't Steam offline mode working for me? When I click on start in offline mode, it tries to connect to the Steam network anyway, which it can't because my desktop PC can't connect to my parents' network for some reason.
It may just be broken for you, sadly, but one thing you can try is unplugging your network cable (or disabling the network interface), then launching Steam.

And fear not, achievement people, some people were saying that you CAN have achievements properly sync even if you were offline, at least for some games. Maybe it will work out. :)

Deadstar

If anyone is wondering. Demigod is an incredible game. One of the best pc games in the last few years. It looks fantastic and is a lot of fun. There are some bugs in the game and I don't know if those were fixed though. They pretty much destroyed the community. I have it already but may double dip to have it on steam if more people play it online.

NBtoaster

capture01242a.jpg

Hope they fix whatever is going on before the sale (or the TF2 update)

svegis

Question, did Super Meat Boy support the Steamcloud before its Steamplay addition? I feel like it did, but it's saying I've done nothing on OSX :'/

Super Meat Boy has never supported Steam cloud and according to developers, as late as a few weeks after the SteamPlay addition, will never have the support either. You'll have to move it manually from your PC. Annoying, as it doesn't exactly feel like it should take a long time.

I haven't installed it on OS X yet, but this is sort of the path for the files you have to move from Steam, move them into the same folder on OS X.
Steam/steamapps/common/super meat boy/UserData/ and in this folder I have these files:
2-8x_0_87716_8.rpl
2-15x_0_87716_19.rpl
3-1_0_87716_37.rpl
3-1_1_87716_106.rpl
3-2x_0_87716_159.rpl
4-1_0_87716_93.rpl
Reg0.dat
savegame.dat
savegame.dat.bak
TommunismEngine.log

Sorry to anyone whom might've already answered, but I haven't seen any!

Im_Special

Question, did Super Meat Boy support the Steamcloud before its Steamplay addition? I feel like it did, but it's saying I've done nothing on OSX :'/

Nope, cloud saving it was something the Dev's promised they would put in for when the Mac version gets released, but now that the Mac version is out, they say they have done all that they have wanted with Super Meat Boy and don't plan on working on it anymore. So no cloud saving ever, which sucks since this is one of the best games types to have that kind of feature.

Weenerz

Banned
It'll be back guys, they are probably trying to fix the download speeds for these sales, I remember the summer sale (when I actually bought games, couldn't find much for autumn), the download speeds were terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom