• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

This is the probably my biggest question about Steam cloud saves. I haven't messed with cloud saves much, but my understanding is that they get written to a game-specific folder deep in the Steam install directory structure. My questions:

1. If Steam goes down while you are ingame, are those files not up to date?

2. If Steam goes down, can you still play with the local copy of the save file, and then that copy will get written to the cloud once Steam comes back up?

3. Most importantly, if a save file becomes corrupted and you kept a manual backup of it, can you copy that backup file into the Steam cloud save directory and work from there, or will Steam keep redownloading the corrupted cloud save?

1. The local save should still be up to date.

2. If the local save and the one on Steam cloud don't match up it asks you which version you want to use as the correct one.

3 Because of point 2, I think that's possible, yeah.

Im_Special

First thing is to restart steam.

The obvious solutions... try restarting Steam. If that doesn't work, delete the clientregistry.blob file from your Steam root folder and then launch Steam again and let it update. If it still doesn't show up, I would imagine that the problems they are having with Steam right now are the likely cause. Wait for it to get fixed up, hopefully in the next few hours, and if it still doesn't work, then you should contact support.

Yeah, first thing I did and it still doesn't show. What problems are Steam having? I just got home.

JADS

That 's decent. Someone will unlock the FPS almost certainly. How much AA can you do?

You can just tick a box for AA, no level or anything. I am not all that impressed by the port. The draw distance and textures are pretty terrible. Seems to be a bare bones port of the XBOX360 version.

Edit:
What the fuck is this?

ummwhatthehelleg14l.png

thefil

I am such a spoiled prick. I want to download Cave Story+, but I will not do it through the Humble Bundle site and instead wait for Steam to come back up while whining incessantly about their service failure.

Majeh

3. Most importantly, if a save file becomes corrupted and you kept a manual backup of it, can you copy that backup file into the Steam cloud save directory and work from there, or will Steam keep redownloading the corrupted cloud save?

Haven't done it myself but you can disable cloud syncing in properties on a game by game basis. You should be able to load the older save and create a new save from it before re-enabling sync.

Blizzard

Banned
I actually think Steam Cloud is really well implemented, thought it could be more forthcoming with this information.

Your local files continue to get saved. Steam uploads save files once you close the game (you can see the game in your list get updated with "Syncing" at this time). If you don't have a network connection, this will happen when you get that connection back (around the same time games would resume downloading).

When the network connection comes back, during the next "Syncing" activity on Steam, it will prompt you to select a set of save files to become "canon", showing you the timestamps for the server copy and your own local copy.

I would guess yes, but I don't know.
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I don't know that I have ever seen the prompt about different file save versions, but it does sound like that -should- allow you to restore backup save files if you wanted to. :)

I must admit that I've had far more problems with losing game progress and such with Steamworks cloud-saves than just linking my saves to my Dropbox using Gamesave Manager. And Dropbox does save revisions of your files too.

thefil

I must admit that I've had far more problems with losing game progress and such with Steamworks cloud-saves than just linking my saves to my Dropbox using Gamesave Manager. And Dropbox does save revisions of your files too.

I use GSM for non-Steam Cloud games as well. Just an endorsement. Shitty interface though. Truly awful. I want to work for them for a month just doing wireframes so they can get something better.

*edit* Also Steam is back up with fast downloads for me.

*edit2* And it's gone.

iavi

Question, did Super Meat Boy support the Steamcloud before its Steamplay addition? I feel like it did, but it's saying I've done nothing on OSX :'/

Stitch

Gold Member
yeah EDF is locked to 30 FPS but I don't really care. it's super smooth. but it's also kinda ugly haha. i think the AA is just FXAA because I can still see jaggies and stuff gets blurry when you enable it. let's see if I can force some real AA...

I nabbed it and it activated fine, I just can't download it yet. :3

Oh what I was saying is we can't activate it without the client. As in no store page activation. I would like to be able to activate a game through the store page so I can do it at work instead of waiting to go home to do it. Stupid complaint is all.

I had a reply too! I wish they allowed you to add friends on the web. You can accept invites but not send them which used to make random acts of gifting a lot harder when I had a proper job.

This too. And the ability to send messages to friends online through the community page... but if that was the case my friends would never get a break from my constant chatting.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
yeah EDF is locked to 30 FPS but I don't really care. it's super smooth. but it's also kinda ugly haha. i think the AA is just FXAA because I can still see jaggies and stuff gets blurry when you enable it. let's see if I can force some real AA...
The big problem with being locked to 30 (other than looking like garbage) is that it can only go down from there, and drops quickly goes into the unplayable range. So is it a rock solid 30 or a 30 with drops?

Why isn't Steam offline mode working for me? When I click on start in offline mode, it tries to connect to the Steam network anyway, which it can't because my desktop PC can't connect to my parents' network for some reason.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Why isn't Steam offline mode working for me? When I click on start in offline mode, it tries to connect to the Steam network anyway, which it can't because my desktop PC can't connect to my parents' network for some reason.

You have to be connected to the internet, and logged into Steam to activate offline mode, iirc. At least that's how it's been for me the last few times I tried to boot up Steam in offline mode when I wasn't connected to the internet.

Stitch

Gold Member
The big problem with being locked to 30 (other than looking like garbage) is that it can only go down from there, and drops quickly goes into the unplayable range. So is it a rock solid 30 or a 30 with drops?

maybe there will be bigger levels where the framerate gets worse but so far it has been rock solid

Are you on Nvidia or AMD? I am positive that I got SSAA working on my AMD 5850 through a custom profile in RadeonPro.

nvidia. I could try some stuff with nvidia inspector but I'm too lazy =)

Derrick01

Banned
The login chart on Steam looks like one of those earthquake monitors in the last day or so 0.o

Do steam achievements work in offline mode? I want to play something but literally everything I want to play right now has achievements.

Pimpbaa

People complaining about the graphics in EDF (it's like complaining about the graphics in minecraft)? The series always looked ugly. That isn't the point. The point is shooting a billion giant bugs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do steam achievements work in offline mode? I want to play something but literally everything I want to play right now has achievements.

No, they don't. I played Left 4 Dead and Torchlight when I moved beginning of 2010 and was stuck in offline mode for 2 weeks. Sorry. Unless they've fixed it since then, but I doubt they have.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Weird. It wouldn't let me activate mine until steam came back. Any way. You're welcome, and enjoy.

Whatever this is isn't loading for me.

EDIT: Nevermind, site loaded. Whatever abload is, it is a terrible ad ridden site.
abload is one of the best sites for uploading pictures. I use adblock+ and noscript and I didn't see a single ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom