• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythian

It'll be back guys, they are probably trying to fix the download speeds for these sales, I remember the summer sale (when I actually bought games, couldn't find much for autumn), the download speeds were terrible.

One can only hope. If it's the same as last year, we won't be able to download anything until a few days after the sale.

Even when they're not under maintenance Steam Support emails always take FOREVER to get to my inbox. The steam guard emails and other automated ones aren't very fast. I don't know why it would take an hour for an automated email :/

iavi

Nope, cloud saving it was something the Dev's promised they would put in for when the Mac version gets released, but now that the Mac version is out, they say they have done all that they have wanted with Super Meat Boy and don't plan on working on it anymore. So no cloud saving ever, which sucks since this is one of the best games types to have that kind of feature.

Thanks for the clarification. That's disappointing. You're right, it's pick up & play nature along with it's low system reqs makes it the best candidate for the service.

Sarcasm

Steam was never down for me O.O

Also sometimes it helps if I change my DL location to Ukraine. Sometimes I double my dl speed.

I live in Taiwan, so I dunno why.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Space Marine being so far down in the most played list makes me a very sad man. Especially since it's steamworks title.

Alienups

Space Marine being so far down in the most played list makes me a very sad man. Especially since it's steamworks title.

I honestly don't understand why they released it in the overcrowded holiday season. They should have delayed it to the beginning of next year imo.

MRORANGE

I honestly don't understand why they released it in the overcrowded holiday season. They should have delayed it to the beginning of next year imo.

THQ is in a tight spot at the moment, they need all the there top franchises selling as much as possible at this point.

I'm confused, Space Marine came out in September. It's not part of the holiday season crush unless the holiday season starts in September now :lol

Edit: I knew it wasn't just me!

You have to be connected to the internet, and logged into Steam to activate offline mode, iirc. At least that's how it's been for me the last few times I tried to boot up Steam in offline mode when I wasn't connected to the internet.

So is there any way to activate offline mode for my entire account using my laptop, so that I can then start Steam in offline mode on my desktop?

no, you have to set each pc/laptop with steam to offline mode, manually.

But how the fuck am I supposed to do that when the REASON that I want to use offline mode is because my PC can't get online atm? Didn't the geniuses at Valve realize that that MIGHT be a problem for some users?

Blizzard

Banned
So is there any way to activate offline mode for my entire account using my laptop, so that I can then start Steam in offline mode on my desktop?
No, but in case my post got buried, try unplugging the network cable that is directly going into your PC, and then launch Steam.

But how the fuck am I supposed to do that when the REASON that I want to use offline mode is because my PC can't get online atm? Didn't the geniuses at Valve realize that that MIGHT be a problem for some users?
Offline mode has been semi-broken and semi-fixed off and on since the dawn of Steam, as far as I know. It has worked for me when I have tested it, but I know others report different experiences.

No, but in case my post got buried, try unplugging the network cable that is directly going into your PC, and then launch Steam.

I don't have a network cable in my PC, everything's wireless over here

Offline mode has been semi-broken and semi-fixed off and on since the dawn of Steam, as far as I know. It has worked for me when I have tested it, but I know others report different experiences.

That's lame, it worked fine the last time I brought my PC home with me (over Summer). I can run a few of my games by launching the executable directly, but most of them only run through Steam, in which case I'm shit outta luck.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't have a network cable in my PC, everything's wireless over here
Ah, then press Windows key + R to bring up the run box, type "ncpa.cpl" without the double quotes, and run it.

Then right click your wireless card, and click disable. THEN launch Steam, and it should hopefully tell you that no network connection is available. (after it's launched you should be able to enable wireless again)

MRORANGE

Perhaps just some blinking Christmas lights hanging from the picture??
best I can do,
hope your happy with it JaseC ;p
ngBfT.gif

Now it says support is down due to high traffic... All you idiots out there who are complaining about steam being offline or whatever get off the support :/ Some of us are trying to do real shit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Does RFA let me genocide giant ants with two bros, while I systematically destroy the city scape?
RF:A traded scale for performance. Serious Sam 3 doesn't care if your PC catches on fire and will let you cut loose in co-op with 15 other bros against hundreds of enemy duders.

Flunkie

Banned
So it looks cheap, big whoop. Does it run okay? I'm on mobile and can't scroll through everything right now.

Edit: Oh, the big whoop is that it's 30FPS.

Nairume

Banned
RF:A traded scale for performance. Serious Sam 3 doesn't care if your PC catches on fire and will let you cut loose in co-op with 15 other bros against hundreds of enemy duders.
That does not satisfy all of my desires like EDF does :(

Is 30fps reaaaaaaly that big of a deal for a very blatantly low budget game?

The only people screaming about OP characters in Dota are the people who suck so much at teamwork and team composition that they can't counter the "OP" characters. It's not impossible to balance. Merely difficult.
Everything has to be balanced against everything else, so it becomes exponentially more difficult with every character. LoL has 90 or so characters and one coming out each week; that's a little bit beyond "difficult". I don't think it's wildly imbalanced or anything, and I still play it, I'm just saying they could do with much less.

Ah, then press Windows key + R to bring up the run box, type "ncpa.cpl" without the double quotes, and run it.

Then right click your wireless card, and click disable. THEN launch Steam, and it should hopefully tell you that no network connection is available. (after it's launched you should be able to enable wireless again)

Doesn't work, still gives me the No Connection Available message at first with the option to start in offline mode, and when I click start in offline it gives me the "Could not connect to the Steam network" error, same as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom