• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

jaundicejuice said:
Also I don't get about the Mac bitching. Valve can bring Steam to Mac but they can't force third parties to make Mac ports of games. If you're serious about gaming and insist on using a Mac you should probably be using bootcamp.
Bold part is an oxymoron, sadly.

Tomodachi said:
Bold part is an oxymoron, sadly.

Yet here we are, with people complaining about Steam somehow failing at bringing gaming to Macs.

Civ V has a Mac version, what more does anyone honestly need? This game allows you to nuke Honolulu. Their greeting means giving you their love, or something to that affect. You can repay that kindness with an atom bomb.

68BA68C2DB99CA544620089BE652C9D298391A2B

kamspy

Don't buy Homefront at any price. It makes the single player campaigns of BLOPS and MoH 2010 seem like timeless FPS masterpieces.

It's not worth the electricity it takes to run, let alone your time or money.

zychi

Banned
lol at everyone "why dont mac users.."

it was a joke people. stop being so salty. when steam was announced for mac the valve-strokers said it would change mac gaming. it hasn't.

for the record, i'm on a pc. so chill out.

Adnor

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I am in Canada and I see that message. I don't think that means that Steam thinks you're from Germany.

IqTQD.png
But it doesn't show me the price =/

Well, I don't think we will have a Saints Row 2 day, so I will be buying that this weekend, even if it's one of the worst ports of all time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
jaundicejuice said:
Yet here we are, with people complaining about Steam somehow failing at bringing gaming to Macs.

Civ V has a Mac version, what more does anyone honestly need? This game allows you to nuke Honolulu. Their greeting means giving you their love, or something to that affect. You can repay that kindness with an atom bomb.
Eh, Civ games are like Blizzard games, they're always on Mac

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stallion Free said:
No, Underworld ties Anniversary and Legend together and wraps up the story entirely. There are no loose ends.

I guess this explains why Underworld makes no sense to me. I just started playing it the other day. In media res opening, flashback, then in the first mission I run into two bad guys I'm apparently supposed to know but don't because I hadn't played a Tomb Raider game in a decade and they're not introduced and one of them seems to be a demon with wings and I thought Tomb Raider was supposed to be vaguely real world and not have demons with wings

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:
I guess this explains why Underworld makes no sense to me. I just started playing it the other day. In media res opening, flashback, then in the first mission I run into two bad guys I'm apparently supposed to know but don't because I hadn't played a Tomb Raider game in a decade and they're not introduced and one of them seems to be a demon with wings and I thought Tomb Raider was supposed to be vaguely real world and not have demons with wings
Underworld is the conclusion.

Either play Legend or Anni first.

3chopl0x said:
Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex will be 15$.. No thanks.

So is Missing Link absurdly huge or just absurdly priced?

The_Technomancer said:
Eh, Civ games are like Blizzard games, they're always on Mac

Clearly what you;re saying is I need to play Civ V some more, nuke a few more nations and provide screenshots to convince you. that's what I'm taking away from this.

MRORANGE

zychi said:
when steam was announced for mac the valve-strokers said it would change mac gaming. it hasn't.

nearly 5% of Steam users boot from from OSX, the fact that Valve have ported all there source games to the plafrom as well as the fact that there are now over 200 games for mac on the steam, heck even Tim Cook applauded Valve on there efforts

so how has Valve not changed mac gaming?

Eh, I completed Human Revolution in 18 hours, only missed a few sidequests and events.

I think I'm just balking at the price because that's Orcs Must Die! right there.

Tomodachi

Stumpokapow said:
Well, it's a direct sequel of the first Tomb Raider ever, story-wise, the final boss of the first tomb raider (and anniversary, of course) being
winged demon Natla
It has been like this since the beginning: it's a bit like Uncharted (or Indiana Jones), real settings but a lot of supernatural stuff.

zychi

Banned
MRORANGE said:
nearly 5% of Steam users boot from from OSX, the fact that Valve have ported all there source games to the plafrom as well as the fact that there are now over 200 games for mac on the steam, heck even Tim Cook applauded Valve on there efforts

so how has Valve not changed mac gaming?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_games

look at allll those red x's under mac. hell, just look at 2011 alone.

200 out of 10000s of games is not "change."

that's like saying i made "change" by giving out pamphlets to 200 people in a large city. sure it's an attempt at doing something, but did i *really* do anything?

inky

3chopl0x said:
Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex will be 15$.. No thanks.

What?! Damn. I already regret giving them more money for the augmented edition, which was pretty worthless. No way I'm paying $15 for some DLC.

Blizzard

Banned
zychi said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_games

look at allll those red x's under mac. hell, just look at 2011 alone.

200 out of 10000s of games is not "change."

that's like saying i made "change" by giving out pamphlets to 200 people in a large city. sure it's an attempt at doing something, but did i *really* do anything?
Do you have a comparison of the # of Mac games on Steam in 2011 vs the # of Mac games on Steam in 2010? In addition, Valve games are pretty high profile.

zychi

Banned
Blizzard said:
Do you have a comparison of the # of Mac games on Steam in 2011 vs the # of Mac games on Steam in 2010? In addition, Valve games are pretty high profile.
apparently you didnt bother to click the link.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, $15 for a DLC mission is ridiculous. Even if it does last around 5 hours, it's an add-on to a full priced game (now with ads!). I liked DXHR, but not that much. Thankfully the DLC is distributed on Steam, so a sale is likely. :)

Snuggler said:
Yeah, $15 for a DLC mission is ridiculous. Even if it does last around 5 hours, it's an add-on to a full priced game (now with ads!). I liked DXHR, but not that much. Thankfully the DLC is distributed on Steam, so a sale is likely. :)

What's this about ads?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jaundicejuice said:
What's this about ads?

There were Star Wars Blu Ray ads added to some of the loading screens, and they might be putting ads on the billboards in the game as well.

Blizzard

Banned
zychi said:
apparently you didnt bother to click the link.
That webpage is so slow to navigate for me it is hard to even try to manually count, but it looks to me that more games released in 2011 (which is not over) with Mac support than did in 2010, and I'm assuming that doesn't count any games which got Mac support in 2011 but did not have it before then.

What would be ideal is a chart of how many games had Mac support each year, but that website does not make it easy to get that data, especially for support added later (even assuming it's accurate).

And as was pointed out, it isn't free to port a game to Mac, nor is it Valve's responsibility. Valve opened up the platform, however, and made an example of themselves by porting their OWN games and providing dual platform support free of charge. Other developers are now free to follow suit.

Snuggler said:
That is what I am hoping for. DLC for half the cost of the game is ridiculous.

Lime

lol 15 dollars. It's probably 15 euros as well. Maybe it didn't perform as expected and the overprice of DLC and the inclusion of ads are cost-saving measures?

True story, Mac fans have the most irritating entitlement complex of any group of fanboys. There's something super ironic about people buying a product which is sold on the slogan "Think Different" then complaining about people not writing software for it.

Snuggler said:
There were Star Wars Blu Ray ads added to some of the loading screens, and they might be putting ads on the billboards in the game as well.

Ha ha, what? So I have to use my bandwidth to download ads they've received money for and they're charging me for dlc? If this was some free to play game that was ad supported and I opted in for this the ads would be acceptable but this is a game I paid 50$ for. When did they sneak these in, I don't recall seeing any ads in my loading screens around launch.

Relax.MX said:
I have read strange things about Titan Quest/Expansion, ¿i need to download and play only the expansion?
From what I understand you need both but Immortal Throne uses the content from the first game so you only have to launch IT, but IT requires the original to run still.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jaundicejuice said:
Ha ha, what? So I have to use my bandwidth to download ads they've received money for and they're charging me for dlc? If this was some free to play game that was ad supported and I opted in for this the ads would be acceptable but this is a game I paid 50$ for. When did they sneak these in, I don't recall seeing any ads in my loading screens around launch.

Looks like it was about a month ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445129

As you can see in that pic, it's not too distracting, but it's yucky regardless. Ads on in-game billboards is on a whole different level, though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Immortal Throne is literally an expanded version of the original game. You need to download and install both because it pulls from the assets of the first, and it is also better just to start with Immortal Throne because it has some great design improvements that apply to the missions/locations of the original.

If you are like me and unwittingly started with the original, no worries. You can import that game into it and either blast through the quests you already did in the first like nothing, or simply teleport to the most recent location you were at and pick up from where you were.

Derrick01

Banned
So I downloaded a windows update today and ever since then I haven't been able to connect to Steam...

This is how they're going to win the war?

Tomodachi

I think nobody's blaming Valve. Some of us are simply pointing out that gaming on mac is still pretty limited as per number of games, can't really talk about "serious interest in gaming" when all you can play is Valve's catalog, Civilization and a few other games.
Nobody's blaming nobody, it's just a fact, you can say all you want that things are slowly changing (and they are, I agree) but that doesn't change said fact. Geez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom