• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

OMG @ the Football Manager 2012 TF2 items. :lol :lol

A Vuvuzela and a pair of cleats that spawn a ball that people can hit around the level. And a scarf, but who cares?

jaundicejuice said:
Eh, I completed Human Revolution in 18 hours, only missed a few sidequests and events.
Cool, me too. I clocked in at exactly 18.4 hours, according to Steam. I'll probably get the DLC when it's 66% off or more.

Joe Molotov said:

A Vuvuzela and a pair of cleats that spawn a ball that people can hit around the level. And a scarf, but who cares?

Yeah, the cleats are awesome. I'd like to see the scarf painted on Heavy along with that mob hat.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Marsipolami said:
Cool, me too. I clocked in at exactly 18.4 hours, according to Steam. I'll probably get the DLC when it's 66% off or more.

I've played around 40 hours and I still haven't finished it. I think I've fucked around way too much with quick saves and reloading.

mrgone

Joe Molotov said:

I've been looking for a way to fill the void since Youtube removed the vuvuzela button from their viewer

Tomodachi said:
Some of us are simply pointing out that gaming on mac is still pretty limited as per number of games, can't really talk about "serious interest in gaming" when all you can play is Valve's catalog, Civilization and a few other games.

I don't understand why people would be criticising Steams - comparatively amazing - level of mac support then. It's not like Mac owners had no opportunity to see how shitty games support for thier machine is when they made the choice to pay over the odds for a machine with one less mouse button and a nice white case.

Snuggler said:
I've played around 40 hours and I still haven't finished it. I think I've fucked around way too much with quick saves and reloading.
You really must have, since I went the sneaky no alarms/no kills approach and quick loaded every other minute or so. :p AND did every side quest I found.

Tomodachi said:
I think nobody's blaming Valve. Some of us are simply pointing out that gaming on mac is still pretty limited as per number of games, can't really talk about "serious interest in gaming" when all you can play is Valve's catalog, Civilization and a few other games.
Nobody's blaming nobody, it's just a fact, you can say all you want that things are slowly changing (and they are, I agree) but that doesn't change said fact. Geez.

Actually the guy who started all this stupidity did blame Valve for it. Anyway, the point is that it's not like Apple are trying really hard to help out. Hardware accelerated graphics APIs still aren't anywhere near as mature on OSX as they are on Windows, and even if they were at the same level they still rely on OpenGL rather than DirectX (not Apple's fault of course).

OSX is just not a core gaming platform right now. Even John Carmack, who has always loved OSX because he's an old Unix/OpenGL nerd, has recently said that he's focusing on DirectX going forward because OpenGL is just too far behind it. Does that suck? Hell yeah, it sucks, but that's the reality of the situation.

Tomodachi

MrNyarlathotep said:
I don't understand why people would be criticising Steams - comparatively amazing - level of mac support then. It's not like Mac owners had no opportunity to see how shitty games support for thier machine is when they made the choice to pay over the odds for a machine with one less mouse button and a nice white case.
I specifically said "gaming on mac" (not Steam on mac) for that reason :) Steam is the reason things are getting better for mac gamers but the choice is still pretty slim because third parties don't see the platform as a green pasture for their $$$s, probably.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tomodachi said:
I specifically said "gaming on mac" (not Steam on mac) for that reason :) Steam is the reason things are getting better for mac gamers but the choice is still pretty slim because third parties don't see the platform as a green pasture for their $$$s, probably.
Depends on what you care about. Big budget games maybe, but it seems like upwards of 50% of indie games that come out on Steam now are cross platform.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, can anyone download anything from steam, or is my connection just borked? Nothing will download right now.

Drkirby said:
So, can anyone download anything from steam, or is my connection just borked? Nothing will download right now.

Same here. Nothing is working right after the latest Windows Update. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Windows Update has been shitting me to tears lately. I have 3 Windows 7 machines I use daily, and each of them has had the same critical update sitting in the tray for nearly 2 months which fails to apply every time I tell it to install. A bunch of updates have installed since it's been there too, so it's apparently not as "critical" an update as they want me to think.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mobius1B7R said:
Same here. Nothing is working right after the latest Windows Update. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Nah, it is likely the TF2 update killing Steam. "Ok, lets send the 500MB patch out to 500,000 people, what could go wrong"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jim-jam bongs said:
Windows Update has been shitting me to tears lately. I have 3 Windows 7 machines I use daily, and each of them has had the same critical update sitting in the tray for nearly 2 months which fails to apply every time I tell it to install. A bunch of updates have installed since it's been there too, so it's apparently not as "critical" an update as they want me to think.

Yeah that's been the case for my home W7 machine

Derrick01

Banned
Yup I was finally able to get on to Steam but can't download anything either. I'm having some other but minor issues with my computer since that damned windows update.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Aw I was hoping to see a "Windowed (No Border)" option added in the TF2 updates. Killer update otherwise.

Corto

Very pleased I bought Red faction: Armageddon. Only at the first hour mark but enjoying the destruction/rebuild tools and the more focused game. I'm at the start of a level with an Exo-Skeleton that should be fun too, and can't wait to reach the Descent-like level... Thanks Stallion for the recommendation!

Tomodachi

I'm getting low speeds and I it seems I can download only one game at a time, but I'm downloading.

The_Technomancer said:
Depends on what you care about. Big budget games maybe, but it seems like upwards of 50% of indie games that come out on Steam now are cross platform.
There's a HUGE middle ground between big budget and low-budget, low-profile indie games. If you consider ANY game produced nowadays (from Modern Warfare to, I don't know, Ben There Dan That), I think the total amount of those who get a mac port is below 10%.

Vamphuntr

Add me to the group of unlucky Win 7 users :(

Windows 7 updates I installed last night broke steam for me too. Can't download anything.

Helmholtz

sykoex said:
Aw I was hoping to see a "Windowed (No Border)" option added in the TF2 updates. Killer update otherwise.
Right click tf2 in games list > properties > set launch options > Type: -windowed -noborder
and also -novid if you don't want the intro video

Blizzard

Banned
Steam is probably down because of the TF2 updates.

And the downside of not updating Windows 7 is that you presumably get hit with unpatched worms and trojans and such.

Derrick01

Banned
I seem to not be able to play some games either. Like the Maw won't load (says unavailable) but deus ex and witcher 2 booted up. Hopefully they get their shit together soon.

Gvaz

Banned
I should have listened. I tried playing Garshasp....I just can't. God of War/Prince of Persia it is not. Oh my god the controls, the animations, the graphics, the budget sound effects, aaaaaaaaaa

Gvaz said:
I should have listened. I tried playing Garshasp....I just can't. God of War/Prince of Persia it is not. Oh my god the controls, the animations, the graphics, the budget sound effects, aaaaaaaaaa
That bad huh? Guess I can remove it from my wishlist.

Javaman

Vamphuntr said:
Add me to the group of unlucky Win 7 users :(

Windows 7 updates I installed last night broke steam for me too. Can't download anything.
Total shot in the dark, but check window's firewall. Maybe something got messed up. Try disabling it temporarly.

MNC

Okay, if I would have to pick up one tomb raider, which one would it be? I'll probably not pick up anything because i'm learning to anti-backlog and actually play games and not buy them. But still. Technically. Which one?

Tambini

Just read the update news for source engine;

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)
Fixed an issue with the multi-threaded renderer which could cause a crash on map change.

About freaking time, I got this on almost every TF2 map change.

I love that I have a Chrome plugin to bring back the smilies. It would have sucked if people could post HL2:DM without it looking like Half-Life 2 HAPPY FACE Man.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gvaz said:
Troll success.

Salsa

Detox said:
Should I go through vanilla Titan Quest before Immortal Throne or is IT the same game with an extra chapter?

launch Inmortal Throne and you'll go through vanilla campaign before doing the new content

Detox

I see, just played about an hour of the inferior version but it doesn't matter seems like the characters transfer. Thanks.

Wow, I had no idea they finally got the original Supreme Commander game on Steam.

It's suppose to be way better than Sup Com 2, right? Worth getting it and its expansion for $10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom