• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

MNC said:
Okay, if I would have to pick up one tomb raider, which one would it be? I'll probably not pick up anything because i'm learning to anti-backlog and actually play games and not buy them. But still. Technically. Which one?
Anniversary. It's a total remake of the first chapter ever, so I guess that's the obvious choice.

MRORANGE

Rodney McKay said:
Wow, I had no idea they finally got the original Supreme Commander game on Steam.

It's suppose to be way better than Sup Com 2, right? Worth getting it and its expansion for $10?

yes & yes.

benjipwns

Banned
Isn't Supreme Commander the game with the great second monitor support where it puts like the mini-map and stuff over there? Or am I thinking of something else?

Anyone else crashing to desktop after updating Counter Strike Source??? It is giving me an engine error, every single time i start it. I am veryifying my files integrity right now.

MRORANGE

EvilDick34 said:
Anyone else crashing to desktop after updating Counter Strike Source??? It is giving me an engine error, every single time i start it. I am veryifying my files integrity right now.

Driver issue?

pilonv1

Football Manager 2012 items for TF2. They listened to me!!!

One of them is a Vuvuzela!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM IN ISAMU MODE!11111!!!!!

MRORANGE

pilonv1 said:
Football Manager 2012 items for TF2. They listened to me!!!

One of them is a Vuvuzela!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM IN ISAMU MODE!11111!!!!!

I so neeed a video of the ball & Vuvuzela in the game, not YT posts yet :|

Card Boy

Banned
Valve are getting desperate with all these TF2 items (First Deus Ex, then the Magicka DLC, then Red Orchestra 2, Renegade Ops Gordon Freeman, and now FM2012). I got FM2012 for $28.46 from GMG awhile back with the 25% voucher and when it was $37.95. Right now you can get it for $31.96 with the 20% off voucher.

MRORANGE

Gez said:
Valve are getting desperate with all these TF2 items (First Deus Ex, then the Magicka DLC, then Red Orchestra 2, Renegade Ops Gordon Freeman, and now FM2012). I got FM2012 for $28.46 from GMG awhile back with the 25% voucher and when it was $37.95. Right now you can get it for $31.96 with the 20% off voucher.

wait until they start offering free games.... oh wait they sometimes do.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gez said:
Look man, we all heard you loud and clear last time.

Now the viral marketing is just getting creepy.

pilonv1

Gez said:

They've been doing TF2 items since July 2010 (Alien Swarm). Nice try.

Card Boy

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Look man, we all heard you loud and clear last time.

Now the viral marketing is just getting creepy.

Sue me, i just like competition and places i can get games that are discounted and not price gouged to 89.99USD.

Volcynika

Well, we all know Valve was at the beginning of the end when they made TF2 free! Desperation doesn't describe it, they're just throwing in the towel now!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gez said:
Sue me, i just like competition and places i can get games that are discounted and not price gouged to 89.99USD.
That isn't Steam's fault, that is the publishers fault. Valve doesn't set prices like that.

Card Boy

Banned
Stallion Free said:
That isn't Steam's fault, that is the publishers fault. Valve doesn't set prices like that.

Then how about letting me purchase games through the US store without the need for a VPN/Proxy/Gifting?

If GoG can get away with it then Valve doesn't have an excuse.

Gez said:

I'm all for competition as well but you have to realize you are in the STEAM thread. I can't speak for the lurkers but most people here will buy at a premium for the game to be included in their Steam library. I know I've bought and received free games from promotions outside of Steam and I always forget about them because if I want to play a game, I open by library. Oh, and when I say premium, I just mean games at launch.

markot

Banned
Gez said:
Then how about letting me purchase games through the US store without the need for a VPN/Proxy/Gifting?

?

All gog games are teh same price everywhere, except tw2, and they only made the exception for that game, and to drive sales to their own storefront so they wouldnt have to give scamco a cut ^_^

Derrick01

Banned
Gez said:

GoG probably doesn't even have 1/10th of the buyers Steam has to deal with. Publishers are more strict with them because that's where a large chunk of the PC money is.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gez said:

So by your logic, Valve is fine with price gouging and they are trying to smooth things over with TF2 items?

Echoplx

Gez said:

GoG got sued for doing that, and they are tiny compared to Valve/Steam

Dipswitch

crimsonheadGCN said:
Upgrading to Verizon FiOS and seeing my download speed jump from 200KB/s to at least 2.4MB/s on Steam is fucking awesome.

FIOS is the balls. I've had it hit 3.2MB/s in Steam on occasion. Hits 3.0MB/s pretty routinely though.

kuYuri

I've gotten as high as 2.9-3.1 MB on my Steam downloads with Cablevision. It's amazing when it consistently stays above 2.0 MB.

coopolon

crimsonheadGCN said:
Upgrading to Verizon FiOS and seeing my download speed jump from 200KB/s to at least 2.4MB/s on Steam is fucking awesome.

Isn't that pretty low for FiOS? I thought FiOS was suppsed to be like 6MB/s. Oh, maybe it's just because of the TF2 update slowing everything down tonight, you'll probably see much better speeds in a few days.

MNC said:
Okay, if I would have to pick up one tomb raider, which one would it be? I'll probably not pick up anything because i'm learning to anti-backlog and actually play games and not buy them. But still. Technically. Which one?

I love the first two, but I would say Anniversary if you want a classic, mostly puzzle and platforming game with relatively little combat, or Legend if you want something more action based with a faster pace and simpler puzzles.

Haven't played enough of Underworld to have an opinion, but it is definitely a big step up graphically from the others and the first area plays well.

And while Anniversary is based on the original, it has very substantial changes and the controls are buttery smooth.

Salsa

NBtoaster said:
I think the first promotional item was from L4D2.

man, remember how they had to make up an explanation (as a joke obviously, but still) as to how Bill's hat ended up in the TF2 universe? imagine if they still had to do that, rofl

coopolon said:
Isn't that pretty low for FiOS? I thought FiOS was suppsed to be like 6MB/s. Oh, maybe it's just because of the TF2 update slowing everything down tonight, you'll probably see much better speeds in a few days.

Not for the plan that I have. I have the lowest tier plan, which rates me at 20 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload, which translates to 2.5 MB/s down and like 500 KB/s up from what I have searched.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Not for the plan that I have. I have the lowest tier plan, which rates me at 20 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload, which translates to 2.5 MB/s down and like 500 KB/s up from what I have searched.

That 5 Mbps should translate to 625 KB/s, but the 2.5 MB/s is correct.

I have 100Mbps cable, but Steam's servers seem to limit me to around 4-4.5 MB/s. :(

Nymerio

Sblargh said:
Tomb Raider on sale.
Aniversary; Legend and Underworld.
Are any of these any good?

I'd like to know as well. I already have the PS3 collection, are the PC versions graphically better?

Tomodachi

Sblargh said:
Tomb Raider on sale.
Aniversary; Legend and Underworld.
Are any of these any good?
Yes, yes and yes, if you're into action/adventure/platform/shooting a la Uncharted (but with less shooting and more climbing/puzzle/platforming). I suggest starting with Anniversary, then Legend, then Underworld. Legend is the oldest of the lot though, has more action, is much shorter and in my opinion not as good as the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom