• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Chinner said:
so i quit steam, and now i can't rejoin.

WHAT DO I DO.
It's 11:30 on a Friday morning, clearly peak Steam hours. Wait until everyone has left and then reconnect!

(Valve is very good at breaking things with TF2/Steam updates...I sometimes wonder why they have a reputation for quality assurance :p)

Dunlop

I was playing rift last night, Steam gave me an error and then booted me out of the game. Suddenly all my games where "unavailable".

I killed the steam.exe process and all was well.

I'm stuck at home tonight so will be a sad panda if I'm locked out of my games

on a slightly related note is it possible to remove a game from Steam that I purchased in Steam?

Playing an MMO where shift tab is a staple for targetting..not so good when it brings up the steam overlay
LLShC.gif

Blizzard

Banned
Dunlop said:
I was playing rift last night, Steam gave me an error and then booted me out of the game. Suddenly all my games where "unavailable".

on a slightly related note is it possible to remove a game from Steam that I purchased in Steam?

Playing an MMO where shift tab is a staple for targetting..not so good when it brings up the steam overlay
LLShC.gif
I suspect you can use the Steam settings dialog to change the shift-tab shortcut, but you can also disable the Steam overlay for particular games by right clicking and going to properties (if I recall correctly).

Eusis

Dunlop said:

LLShC.gif
Like stated, while you NORMALLY can't (an MMO might be a case where you can download the client separately and just use the account you made on Steam though) you can just disable the Steam overlay in games as you play the MMO, and it won't be an issue.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
With AAA tiles like Batman: Arkham City, Games for Windows LIVE, the premier online gaming destination from Microsoft, has never been a better choice for the hardcore videogamer. When you aren't busy defragging your hard-drive, jump on LIVE and frag your friends in Shadowrun, or play one of the many free games available, like Tinker!

Games for Windows LIVE - Gamers LIVE here.

Joe Molotov

morningbus said:
With AAA tiles like Batman: Arkham City, Games for Windows LIVE, the premier online gaming destination from Microsoft, has never been a better choice for the hardcore videogamer. When you aren't busy defragging your hard-drive, jump on LIVE and frag your friends in Shadowrun, or play one of the many free games available, like Tinker!

Remember, if you buy Shadowrun, FASA will totally make that Shadowrun RPG you've all been wanting.

Dunlop

morningbus said:
When you aren't busy defragging your hard-drive, jump on LIVE and frag your friends in Shadowrun, or play one of the many free games available, like Tinker!

whoa whoa. Shadowrun is awesome

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
At Games for Windows LIVE, we know that hardcore PC gamers are looking for a good deal. Well, at Games for Windows LIVE, the deals LIVE here! Every week our trained gaming professionals hand select a gaming masterpiece fit for even the most discerning of gamers.

This week, pick up the fantasy epic RIFT™ for only 14.99! Pick your side and battle to control the fate of the world!

Blizzard

Banned
Tomodachi said:
Tomb Raiders don't have Steam overlay. Really, really disappointed.
I want to build up a nice steam screenshots library, damn it :(
Wait, you can't enable the overlay? I thought it was enabled for all Steam-purchased games by default. Even external games can have the overlay enabled if I recall correctly, if launched by a Steam shortcut.

Also, use Fraps anyway since Steam screenshots will save as low-quality JPGs. :(

Tomodachi said:
I'm not sure how he managed it, but a friend of mine used FRAPS to take screenshots and save it somewhere in his Steam game's image folder and it will show up in Steam... at least that's what I think he said that he did.

krzy123

Tomodachi said:

Are you sure? I took screenshots in Anniversary, and used the overlay too. The only game that had the overlay disabled for me by default was Gothic II.

Adnor

Banned
And I still can't buy Dead Rising 2: Off the records. It doesn't even show me the price.
But when I looked in the uni it let me buy it, but not in my house.
I'm not even european, Valve!

Joe Molotov

Maybe the Double Fine announcement is that THQ is publishing all their console games for the PC, and the Weekend sale is all of their games. Seems plausible.

Mairu

Man 34 pages and I just noticed the other steam thread was closed!

I'm kind of disappointed that DoW2 is $10, I've been waiting for it to go cheaper than that :(

amrod

Joe Molotov said:
Maybe the Double Fine announcement is that THQ is publishing all their console games for the PC, and the Weekend sale is all of their games. Seems plausible.

ALL OF THEM ??!??
EVEN BRUTAL LEGENDS?

Guanoape

Neo Member
Dawn of War Gold Edition is €10, while the Platinum Edition (Gold edition + second expansion) is €5. Am I missing something here?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Mairu said:
I'm kind of disappointed that DoW2 is $10, I've been waiting for it to go cheaper than that :(
Keep watch over several sites. I got DoW2 + Chaos Rising for $12.50 several months ago and have seen them bundled lower for less than that a few times. No matter where you get it from you can add the key to Steam.

Dunlop said:

LLShC.gif

You can change the Steam overlay to a differnt button combo in the Settings options.

Tomodachi

Blizzard said:
Wait, you can't enable the overlay? I thought it was enabled for all Steam-purchased games by default. Even external games can have the overlay enabled if I recall correctly, if launched by a Steam shortcut.

Also, use Fraps anyway since Steam screenshots will save as low-quality JPGs. :(
I know, but I liked the idea of the steam screenshot library, where you can select a game and see the relative screenshots. I think I'll use Dxtory for my screens then, I already use it to cap fps to 30 and take screenshoots in The Witcher 2 (another game that does not support overlay).

But yeah, some games can deactivate the overlay for some reason. Anniversary should be the only TR with overlay still enabled, it seems like they deactivated it in Legend and Underworld due to complains about the fact that using the overlay in those games didn't autopause the game and chat text input was read as game controls even with the overlay open. Pretty dumb reason to turn it off altogether if you ask me.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25732997#post25732997

PaulLFC

Is any of the Retribution DLC worth getting? Any single player content, or is it all multiplayer? The entire "Wargear Bundle" seems to be on sale for £4.

Also, if I have all 3 DoW II games, I don't need the Last Standalone, right? Or is that different from what's included in the base games? That's 50% off, too.

Everytime I try to load Dawn of War 2 it goes to a black screen and I have to pull up task manager to close it down.

I have tried:

1) Deleting and redownliading it (twice)

2) Verifying the integrity

3) Deleting the settings.

Any suggestions?

confused

Banned
Anybody looking for the European hookup add me on Steam as Zaangamer. Paypal in advance as I have no funds of my own at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom