• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

Gvaz said:
Yeah I'm going to stop derailing the thread now, but all I wanted to say is that out of the almost 20 games I've played this year of varying genres (99% of them PC games) Xenoblade trumps them all. It floored me.

Now, on to play Hard Reset :D

It did the opposite to me. It burned me on JRPGs for a while. Absolutely loathed the game and I haven't played a console game since.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gvaz said:
I've got like over a hundred games at least in my steam list I need to play :(

You caught my spacing error. :( I'm afraid we can no longer be GAFriends.

Did I just invent that term? I think I did. Great.

Gravijah

Gvaz said:
Well some of them are ports, but still.

xpost from the games you been playing threads:

Nier (3/5)

So, 15 total so far.

boo, game of the century

ChoklitReign said:
Is Isaac harder than the NES Zeldas? Is permadeath mostly an issue near the last levels?

ehhhh, probably not harder than the nes zeldas. matters how the rng treats you.

Gvaz

Banned
Gravijah said:
boo, game of the century

ehhhh, probably not harder than the nes zeldas. matters how the rng treats you.
Don't let the score fool you, I loved it, but the combat at times really brings it down, also they really need to clean up the graphics at times (not the art style, art style is awesome), and some of the pacing too. I got a few of my friends to play the game though, so mission accomplished.

Vamphuntr

Gvaz said:
Er....dare I ask why?

It felt like a half baked game to me. I enjoyed the exploration a lot but most of the time it was very unrewarding to explore as there isn't much to find. Sure the areas are beautiful but you rarely find something useful. At most you find those horrible collectables or items required for the annoying fetch quests the game is filled with. Instead of doing 20 well done side quests using nicely desgined side areas and npcs they preferred to do 500 shitty fetch quests. Good luck finding the like 10 quests with useful rewards.

It also didn't help that finding npcs for these quests was a chore since they only appear in a specific time window so you have to mess with the clock all the time. Why bother with a night/day system if the game admits that you need to manipulate it manually all the time to be able to do something. Getting the loots required for the quests were also annoying since some are rare drops from monsters who appear only in certain areas under a specific wheater or other randomly spawn on the ground at a certain time or weather. It doesn't help that you have no bestiary or some encyclopedia containing all the info about where you fought X or found Y, at which time and under which weather.

I was fed up with the battle system about 20 hours in. It basically boils down to circling monster and using the move that exploits the specific sides of the monster over and over again. It didn't help that you gain useful moves quite slowly. I also didn't like how you couldn't configure the behaviors of your AI partners. The only way to order them to do something is by warning them when you have a vision. I did enjoy the vision system but once again they went too far with the gimmicks. They give you all those monado moves for specific situations but the game requires you to use them quite seldomly (except for the one allowing party members to hit mechs).

Gems were annoying to collect since my inventory was always filled with them and I was more or less trying to fill the furnace with them all the time. This system seemed like a diluted Star Ocean item creation knockoff. Affinity points took forever to gain between AI members so you pretty much either have to swtich the character you play all the time or say good bye to those cheezy hearts to hearts where you need to answer completely random questions.

Story eventually became quite interesting to me but the characters were so horrible. I felt like punching Shulk in the face all the time. Especially, when he did his "Oh no, I'm not sure I'll able to do it" speech in every story events past the halfway mark.

So yeah. It seems they tried to shove as many quests and mechanics in the game without bothering about the quality of the stuff they've added.

Gvaz

Banned
Completely random questions? They relate to the character's personality very well, and it gives you more heart to hearts with them. Also you can gift the collectables to them for further affinity. You wont max out affinity in one playthrough for everyone though.

Eventually you don't need monado enchant because you can acquire weapons that allows everyone to hit mechon.

I agree with your points, though they weren't as big of an impact to me. I saw what they were going for, and it's not perfectly implemented you can get around that in multiple ways and still derive enjoyment from it.

To be honest, I like they included the elements you called "half baked" rather than not at all, because those are some of the things I want in a game, though yes there's room for improvement in everything. However, I thought it gave the best bang for your buck and experience in an rpg unlike any I've played.

Kind of want to nab TLR at that price. 360 version is hard to come by and is still quite pricey for a game this old, but the demo was pretty intimidating, at least as far as combat system goes.

JaseC

Nelo Ice said:
So I was regretting not buying rct3 for $10 when it was a steam daily deal and i look it up and now i see its $7.50 on d2d.

Do I reserve the right to label you a nelotard if you don't bite? ;)

Euphor!a

Banned
Alright, I'm getting an SSD and a standard HDD for my new PC. Now clearly you can't store all your Steam games on an SSD but can you store them on the HDD then transfer them over to the SSD when you plan to be playing it for awhile. Then when you're done with it you can transfer it back to the HDD to make room for other games. Are there any programs that do something like this without messing up any registry information and are compatible with Steam?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Nelo Ice said:
So I was regretting not buying rct3 for $10 when it was a steam daily deal and i look it up and now i see its $7.50 on d2d.

But the other, better Rollercoaster Tycoon games are just $6.00 on GOG!

Edit: Actually, RCT1 is $3 this weekend.

JaseC

Gravijah said:
wtf jasec stop fucking with your avatar
jim-jam bongs said:
yeah jase, quit it bro

ZDB3M.jpg

I'm done. Or am I? :eek:

Gravijah said:
i was just looking through an old thread, and i saw a post i didn't make. i was like "when the fuck did i say this?!"

then i noticed

you bastard

Oh nice, I hope it was something really offensive too, had a few nice ones like that recently. That said, I think I could pull off impersonating you effectively with a little practice.

Gravijah

jim-jam bongs said:
Oh nice, I hope it was something really offensive too, had a few nice ones like that recently. That said, I think I could pull off impersonating you effectively with a little practice.

you don't have my essence. you could never impersonate me!

Gravijah said:
you don't have my essence. you could never impersonate me!

I'll admit, it's not as easy as the time I stole Salsa's identity. I just wandered around telling people I was from Uruguay and yelling at them for not buying enough indie games.

Gravijah

jim-jam bongs said:
I'll admit, it's not as easy as the time I stole Salsa's identity. I just wandered around telling people I was from Uruguay and yelling at them for not buying enough indie games.

you must have gotten a lot of gifts.

Gravijah said:
you must have gotten a lot of gifts.

You wouldn't even believe me if I told you. I swear, just find a picture of a random chick topless on Google image search, tell guys it's you, and the games just pour in.

JaseC

jim-jam bongs said:

How long until your post is the foundation for a Family Guy joke? I say 3 months.

Edit: It's too early for this thread to be fucking with my mind.

Gravijah

jim-jam bongs said:
You wouldn't even believe me if I told you. I swear, just find a picture of a random chick topless on Google image search, tell guys it's you, and the games just pour in.

i really wish i thought ahead. i could have crafted an online identity, pretending to be female, and i would be surfing in free stuff.

Caerith

Euphor!a said:
Alright, I'm getting an SSD and a standard HDD for my new PC. Now clearly you can't store all your Steam games on an SSD but can you store them on the HDD then transfer them over to the SSD when you plan to be playing it for awhile. Then when you're done with it you can transfer it back to the HDD to make room for other games. Are there any programs that do something like this without messing up any registry information and are compatible with Steam?
Steam Mover. Does exactly what you need it to.

Vamphuntr

Gvaz said:
Completely random questions? They relate to the character's personality very well, and it gives you more heart to hearts with them. Also you can gift the collectables to them for further affinity. You wont max out affinity in one playthrough for everyone though.

Eventually you don't need monado enchant because you can acquire weapons that allows everyone to hit mechon.

I agree with your points, though they weren't as big of an impact to me. I saw what they were going for, and it's not perfectly implemented you can get around that in multiple ways and still derive enjoyment from it.

To be honest, I like they included the elements you called "half baked" rather than not at all, because those are some of the things I want in a game, though yes there's room for improvement in everything. However, I thought it gave the best bang for your buck and experience in an rpg unlike any I've played.

I respect your opinion but I disagree and don't want to derail the thread further. Some questions are really random. Like someone ask you if you remember something and you have the choices between random events that are not even mentionned in the game.

For me games like Fallout New Vegas are the best bang for my bucks. I also think that game has much a better and more rewarding exploration. The game is filled with quests but the NPCs giving them are interesting and they often are related to the whole factions rivality thing. These quests also are much more varied than kill the same monsters again and again until they drop some random item some guy wants. But that's me and that's you ;P

Echoplx

All this shit should be in the OP, why do we never have good threads with pretty graphics and lots of info :C

-starts working on next thread-

JaseC

Rufus said:
Don't listen to him, Caerith. You did a good thing.

How dare he posses the audacity to talk of Steam in a Stream thread!

HalfwayOrb said:
i got tempted in buying tomb raider anniversary, legend, and underworld for about 15 bucks :(
thanks a lot, steam.

Underworld is great.

Rufus

3chopl0x said:
All this shit should be in the OP, why do we never have good threads with pretty graphics and lots of info :C

It's going to be ignored anyway. I'm already tired of mentioning Steamprices.com.

JaseC said:
How long until your post is the foundation for a Family Guy joke? I say 3 months.

We can safely bet that the idea ball is in the tank.

Gravijah said:
i really wish i thought ahead. i could have crafted an online identity, pretending to be female, and i would be surfing in free stuff.

My years playing a female priest in WoW confirm this to be true.

MRORANGE

3chopl0x said:

you should ask Chinner to help out with that.

in all seriousness I wouldn't mind making a very detailed ot for steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom